American 'corruption' of English

Reyn

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:46 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
It's very hard -- next to impossible, in fact -- to distinguish between an American and a Canadian accent. To me, at least, they sound identical.

Again, I think, it depends where in the U.S. or Canada someone comes from.

When I hear someone who comes from the southern States and I compare them with someone who comes from western Canada, to me the difference is quite noticeable.

If you hear a Canadian who comes from one of our Atlantic provinces, the sound of their speech is very different from someone from Alberta, for example.

Now, if you were to put an American from Washington state next to a Canadian from British Columbia, there's a fair chance that the difference might hardly be noticeable at all.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:56 pm
Have an American say "the mouse is about in the house," then put that to a Canadian. You'll hear the difference right off.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:44 am
can you illustrate phonetically blue?

let me guess

house = whouz

about = abooot

mouse = mousse

which is which i have no idea
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:51 am
It's the Scottish thing I was mentioning, Steve.......

Scottish:

There's a moose loose aboot the hoose.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:55 am
no, Scotland

"Me moose is loose, and that was me dinner too"

Smile

good morning Lorde

or as they now say down under Good Moaning
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:56 am
KiwiChic wrote:
..your Mum was an an 'Otago' girl! LE Very Happy

Born and bred. Her parents (my grandparents....obviously) emigrated out there, but decided to come back to England when my Mum was about fifteen.

She still has a slight twang to her accent, after all these years.

During her thirties, she started work as a nurse, and soon got fed up telling people that she wasn't South African!

I think it is the old sounding the "e" like an "i" thing.

i.e. I have just bought a rid bid sprid.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:58 am
Mornin' Steve, 'ow's yer belly off for spots?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 02:03 am
tippity boo old bean

er what...?

we had some s'effricns living opposite. Lovely people but would keep parking their ox wagons in a line.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:13 am
Reyn, you're quite right. I'm sure Western Canadians sound quite a bit different from those of the Atlantic Provinces, never mind the Maritimes. I think what I really meant is that I can't tell the difference between an Ontarian and an Ohio bloke.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:20 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
Don't forget, Chai, that the makeup of the colonial stock, so to speak, was not all that homogeneous. Those who settled Virginia were primarily of Cavalier stock. Their accents would have been somewhat different from the Puritans who settled New England. New York and New Jersey were originally Dutch colonies, not English, and I suspect that after the Brits acquired those territories, intermarriage and other social contact with the Hollanders would have affected their speech patterns. Maryland started as a Roman Catholic colony. Most of the Catholics left in England after Henry VIII's reformation were apt to be more posh than the largely rural Puritans.

THAT is facinating. I had not thought of it that way. It would be fun to have a time machine and go back to listen.

Actually, the town I grew up in is named Brielle. Named so by someone from the Netherlands(?) who thought it looked like the Brielle back home.

Apparantly pronounced differently than the original. We pronounced it BREE-L, I think it was a girls name too.

NIMH - how is it pronounced?

I hear talk here of American accents vs. British, Canadian, Aussie, South African. But, just like in those countries, there are SO many different American accents.

No one would ever confuse someone from Alabama from a person from Wisconsin.

Just like in London, people in different parts of New York sound very different, i.e. born in Manhatten, vs. born in the Bronx.\

I prefer Southern accents, and there are quite a few different ones there also. Georgia is not like Louisianna, is not like Texas, is not like Arkansas. Yet happily Lord Elpus, they all have Southern Bells. Cool
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:16 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
tippity boo old bean

er what...?

we had some s'effricns living opposite. Lovely people but would keep parking their ox wagons in a line.

I knew a South African once......he had a grudge.

He kept his car in it.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:18 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Yet happily Lord Elpus, they all have Southern Bells. Cool

Well, they can RING me anytime!

DING DONG!!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:28 pm
Once, whilst riding the train from Seattle to Portland, I happened to be seated beside a visitor from Belfast. He'd been in Seattle for a few days, he said, had a good time, and raved about a bar he'd been where he drank "spurts."

I had no idea what he was talking about until I realized that "spirits" are the word in the UK for what we Yanks usually call "hard liquor."
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:32 pm
......but seriously Ms Tai, if this sort of thing fascinates you...have you read any Bill Bryson?

He has written two (or is it three) on the USA, and one of them (my son has stolen all of them at the mo, they will be returned in 2007 no doubt)... anyway, one of them goes into the very early days of the settlers and why you ended up using "sidewalk" instead of pavement etc etc.

He also covers, in very good detail, why your currency is called the dollar, how each area was settled and the accent variations.
Fascinating stuff.

If you don't know of him, he is an American (from Des Moines) who came over to England and married a Brit, lived here for many years, raising a family and then took them all over to live in the USA, so that his kids could learn the American way of life as well.

He is very funny in parts, hilarious in others, but above all, he has a keen eye for observation. One of his USA books, covers the culture shock he experienced upon his return after so many years.

Please give it a go....and while you are there, try his "Notes from a Small Island".......his very accurate yet hilarious observations about Britain.
Like my holiday diary, but ten times more witty. It is the only book that has made me cry with laughter.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:41 pm
Jack Daniel's
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 01:44 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Once, whilst riding the train from Seattle to Portland, I happened to be seated beside a visitor from Belfast. He'd been in Seattle for a few days, he said, had a good time, and raved about a bar he'd been where he drank "spurts."

I had no idea what he was talking about until I realized that "spirits" are the word in the UK for what we Yanks usually call "hard liquor."

My brother is an electrician, living and working in France. One day, he had another tradesman working nearby (stone mason I think) and they struck up a conversation in English, when he discovered that my Brother was a Brit.
Anyway, he chatted to what he could only place as possibly a Polish guy for most of the morning, when another man approached and said to my brother (in French) "It must make a change to chat to someone from your neck of the woods".
My brother asked the man where he was from, which turned out to be rural Ireland!
My brother swears that he could only just about understand what he was saying.
0 Replies

KiwiChic

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 04:35 pm
..its like in Australia I worked with a girl who told me I should go and visit the 'Table ends' one weekend.....it took me 2 weeks to discover she was saying 'Tablelands'
0 Replies

Boephe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:19 am
Americans can Amercianise the English language all the like, as long as they keep it in America
0 Replies

Boephe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:21 am
.... and if the kiwis can't understand us, maybe they should mention this to the Americans and then maybe we'll get some American actors putting on Australian accents and not a malicious cross between Kiwi, English and South African.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 05:18 pm
and then the world my end suddenly due to the monstereous corruption of it's universal language.... i cant wait till we beat the aussies in the international rules Gaelic Football..

and just to clarify... JD my old friend... http://yopi6.tricnet.de/images/prod_pics/225/e/225577.jpg

Guess where i ended up after two bottles of these when school ended last year... an t-ospideal!!! (hospital)
0 Replies