English history from vikings?

goodfielder

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:37 pm
Paaskynen wrote:
If we are talking about conquering the UK, I seem to remember that the last time a foreign army crossed the channel to successfully overthrow the government of England, it was a Dutch army (in 1688), and the Dutch king/stadholder that ascended to the throne proceeded also to "pacify" Ireland (something that has led to centuries of strife and bloodshed, at least up til a few days ago).
So being from mixed Dutch-Scandinavian descent, my ancestors have a history of conquering Britain Very Happy

But didn't William of Orange drop in at the invite of the Parliament? ?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
goodfielder wrote:
Paaskynen wrote:
If we are talking about conquering the UK, I seem to remember that the last time a foreign army crossed the channel to successfully overthrow the government of England, it was a Dutch army (in 1688), and the Dutch king/stadholder that ascended to the throne proceeded also to "pacify" Ireland (something that has led to centuries of strife and bloodshed, at least up til a few days ago).
So being from mixed Dutch-Scandinavian descent, my ancestors have a history of conquering Britain Very Happy

But didn't William of Orange drop in at the invite of the Parliament? ?

The protestants in Parliament (to be precise the influential "immortal seven") had invited Wiliam over, but the Royalists in the army and especially the navy were opposed, so William came as a conqueror, with a large fleet and an army of 15 000 disciplined soldiers, veterans from the wars against the French. It was also these Dutch troops (called the blue guards) that later secured the victory in the battle of the Boyne.

The reign of William and Mary heralded the summit of Dutch influence in England and it also marked the beginning of the decline of the power of the Dutch Republic.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 04:24 am
I hate to quibble but were there battles?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:29 am
Nah, they just walked up from Brixham to London.
A walkover.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 05:51 am
But there were some horses and ships :wink:

http://www.nmm.ac.uk/mag/images/700/BHC3095_700.jpg

William III Landing at Brixham, Torbay, 5 November 1688 (Jan Wyck, Greenwich Maritime Museum)

Btw: due to this 'invasion', Dutch-style baroque gardens became popular in Britain, like those at Belton House Park and Gardens, Blickling Hall, Dyrham Park, Hampton Court Palace, Levens Hall, Westbury Court Garden, Wimpole Hall. :wink:
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:44 am
goodfielder wrote:
I hate to quibble but were there battles?

Only in Scotland and Ireland, in England the army was in disarray, because most of its protestant commanders, most notably Churchill, defected. Still, Wiliam did not bring his army with him because he expected a walkover... Nonetheless the British hate to see the Glorious Revolution as a de facto coup d'état by an invading force (though be it with the aid of a fifth column), matter of national pride.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:49 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
But there were some horses and ships :wink:

Btw: due to this 'invasion', Dutch-style baroque gardens became popular in Britain, like those at Belton House Park and Gardens, Blickling Hall, Dyrham Park, Hampton Court Palace, Levens Hall, Westbury Court Garden, Wimpole Hall. :wink:

In fact he brought about 5000 horses, dunno about the ships Smile

Dutch influence in Britain varied from tiled bathrooms, to wedgewood porcelain, to Christopher Wren's architecture, to navigation and cartography, windmills and canals. Most of these are now considered to be utterly British.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 16 Sep, 2005 10:57 am
Clogs and big flat cheeses, too. Smile
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 10:30 pm
And later of course the Hanoverians were invited to move in and take over. It's all a bit confusing.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 11:15 pm
I want to poitn, however, at the big loss the Hanoverians gained: one loosing 'n' minimised them from bying an original Hannovererian to a stupid looking Hanoverian.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Sun 18 Sep, 2005 11:32 pm
McTag wrote:
Clogs and big flat cheeses, too. Smile

.......and Bergkamp! Marvellous.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 04:42 pm
Sarsfield!!! The wild Geese..
0 Replies