English history from vikings?

goodfielder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:17 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
goodfielder wrote:

But good to see some folks know about Jutes though - early victims of ethnic cleansing . Crying or Very sad

That's debatable, even for those on the Isle of Wight and Hampshire ((They settled in Kent, too, as did the Frisians, who settled besides that in East Anglia and Lincolnshire.)

It might be debatable Walter but I am going for the sympathy vote Very Happy
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:20 am
I could agree - would you include "my" Frisians as well, please?
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:28 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I could agree - would you include "my" Frisians as well, please?

Only too happy :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:34 am
I always had a thing for the Visigoths.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:42 am
Green Witch wrote:

Awful table manners Cool
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 06:52 am
But perhaps the Ostrogoths could get a sympathy vote (although they only invaded Italy).
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:14 am
Friesians I demand equal recognition for Friesians
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 10:21 am
They got them already, I think, Acquiunk - a couple of responses above.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:15 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
They got them already, I think, Acquiunk - a couple of responses above.

OOOPs!!, Ok as long as we give equal credit to all looters and plunders. One might also note the Pics were adept at this too, although they contributed little if anything to the language..
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 11:16 am
Pic-tograms? :wink:
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 12:02 pm
The Jutes are mentioned in the Bible.

Oh yes they are.

Juteronomy.
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:14 pm
... Good old Vikings... We were rid of them before our British Cousins... Go on Brian Boru!!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 03:17 pm
McTag wrote:
The Jutes are mentioned in the Bible.

Oh yes they are.

Juteronomy.

Don't forget Judea, Mc. And we all know that Golgotha derives from the presence of the Goths in that same Judea.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 14 Sep, 2005 07:58 pm
Milfmaster9 wrote:
... Good old Vikings... We were rid of them before our British Cousins... Go on Brian Boru!!

Just to throw a spear into your balloon, that was because the Vikings found Albion's plunder not only richer but less viciously defended. Even the Romans saw little profit to be had from expenditure of military and administrative resources in the interest of the exploitation of Eire ... just wasn't worth the effort, particularly given much better pickin's were more conveniently available in the neighborhood. Twisted Evil

Embarrassed EDIT to add: Note to those who think they saw me screw up and multi-post - yup, I did, but the repeats being the last posts in the thread, they were deleteable -timber Embarrassed
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:43 am
If we are talking about conquering the UK, I seem to remember that the last time a foreign army crossed the channel to successfully overthrow the government of England, it was a Dutch army (in 1688), and the Dutch king/stadholder that ascended to the throne proceeded also to "pacify" Ireland (something that has led to centuries of strife and bloodshed, at least up til a few days ago).
So being from mixed Dutch-Scandinavian descent, my ancestors have a history of conquering Britain Very Happy
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:09 am
One thing you can say about Our Current President; he's kept our boys out of Northern Ireland Laughing
0 Replies

Milfmaster9

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 07:54 pm
Clinton seems to live there.... The Vikings actually came here in large numbers and well I can see why the Romans never came as they founded the first towns. They sacked our monastries senseness and a Viking became King of Leinster. This was the last straw as the High King Brian Boru marched on Dubhlinn (Dublin) and defeated a large force of Irish, English, Icelandic and Scandanvian Vikings who came to the King of Leinster's aid. This was the first domino which led to the overthrow of the British Viking Kings. We did it first!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:48 pm
Whaddaya mean, overthrow of the British Viking Kings? From whom do you suppose the Normans sprang, and from whence came their martial prowess?

And then there's that whole House of Hanover thing ....
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:52 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Green Witch wrote:

Awful table manners Cool

Really? I never noticed.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 08:55 pm
So where is PS2Huang> - he should be here insisting that the Vikings were actually Hebrews with horns.
0 Replies