Lactose Intolerance...

material girl

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:34 am
Er ...3 times young lady, you may wanna put a brake on that enter key finger.
0 Replies

Missy 2005

Reply Mon 10 Oct, 2005 04:52 pm
HI I am new and doing research on possible intolerence?!!
Can someone help me and tell me if they think this possibly is an intolerence or allergy please?

Since I was Pregnant with my son (born Feb 05), I notice particulary in the mornings that I need to go to the toilet several times (3-6 times). I thought at the time it was just a pregnancy thing but it still happens.
Some mornings it is okay (only 1 -2) but I think I am finding that it occurs when I have lactose products. Like this morning was bad and I had a cuppa (with milk) and last night had one and also ate a fair few lollies yesterday and also had cream.

The thing that makes me think it may be as well is that as the day goes on I start to feel better, but in saying that I don't eat any dairy during the day at all. My diet consists of wholemeal bread, fruit etc. The only time I have dairy is in the morning and at night. I am to the point where I am getting sick of having this. I know I shouldve went to the doctors but I am embarrased. Anyone have and thoughts or advice please?
What are the symptons??
Mine are: (in the mornin)
dirroheah
tiredness
tummy cramps
general feelin unwell

Thanks for all your help with previous replys
Missy
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 02:23 am
Um....
I dont know. It could be just a pregnancy thing, but has lasted a little while.
Maybe lactose intollerance is a symptom of the pregnancy thing.

Hey Missy welcome to a2k.

My lactose intollerance is getting a bit better now, and my doctor said that it was hormonal. So yours could be too, and could be connected with the birth.

If i was you I would:
see your doctor.
Quit dairy products completely for a few weeks and see if there are any changes. Take calcium supplements, (make sure they dont have lactose in) If you are breast feeding your son.

Hope that helps.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 03:39 am
Hi Missy.
Ive never ben pregnant so I cant compare things but Im lactose intolerent.
I havnt eaten much the last couple of days let alone anything with lactose in it cos Ive had yucky headaches(girly reasons)which make me feel sick.
I am generally tired and feel unwell.
Ive been trying to drink more water recently so I keep needing the loo as well.I get diareah occasionally, then again I get constipated too.I only get stomach cramps if I eat dairy.
I suppose any drink and lollies will produce more liquids which could lead to you needing the loo more.
Ive heard pregnant women need to go to the loo more because the pressure that the baby puts onto the bladder, maybe your mind/body just hasnt changed back to how it was.

Do you feel like yuo need a wee and when you go nothing come s out, or do you actually wee loads?(sorry to be personal)

But definately go see the doctor.
0 Replies

Missy 2005

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 04:57 pm
Hey thanks for your posts..

And no Im nt talking about wee, talking about dirroheah (sp?). Sorry if too much info. Just thought i would clarify. thanks again. oh and i have quit all dairy as of yesty. no difference yet. im going to the doc in bout 2 wks.
TIA
missy Laughing
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 07:10 pm
Hi ya guys.....
A few words from a long time Milk Dud (Can I join the club too??!!) Smile

There are soooo many things that can be confused with lactose intolerance and I have found that each person that does narrow it down to actually being lactose intolerant has their own specific dairy problems/issues even.

Most medications/pills are lactose based.
Many people that are lactose intolerant are soy intolerant as well (doesnt help when you're trying to figure it out I tell ya).
I havent tried the goat milk yet but, Feta isnt too bad for me so, I dont know - might try it someday when I dont have to leave the house for 24 hours or so. However, cheeses effect me differently. Soft cheeses dont sit well at all - even with "Lactaid". Hard cheeses - I take my Lactaid but, probably could get away without it if I dont go cheese crazy.
Here's the thing - my godduaghter is lactose intolerant as well. She can do some soft cheeses. She can even do some ice creams. Its all a shot in the dark and getting to know yourself.

You should always talk to a doctor.
You should always include in your medical history once you do determine it to be lactose intolerance and you should remind people - even doctors and nurses who think its okay to prescribe you medication thats lactose based cuz "its not enough to affect you" - yeah, been there. Remember to watch out for yourself.

Here in the States we have milk products "Lactiad" and they have a pretty good webiste for information:
http://www.lactaid.com/

Also - remember that if you cut out your dairy you're going to have to add calcium! Smile

Good Luck!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:40 am
Hi Quinn, just have to say, a bit off the topic, that I love your signature.
Very true.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 03:49 am
Missy, if your eating healthily and drinking lots of water that could be a reason for diareah.
MAybe its not diareah just your eating well and the side effect is poohing easily.That happens to me when I eat fruit and drink water, maybe its a case of us not being used to a healthy body!

A friend who is also lactose intolerent introduced me to some tablets were i could eat ice cream and cheescake, yum, but it had a very windy side effect so I wont be using thm again.It seems to hide the pain but still give me other side effects
She has had to ask her husband to take her to work recently as she has been feeling dizzy.
I felt dizzy when i eat dairy.I saw her tucking into a pizza the other day after taking these tablets but I reckon they may be hiding some symptoms but still allowing the dizziness to carry on.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:07 am
Thanks Pentacle - I like it Wink

I dont think dairy has gotten me dizzy before. Interesting.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:11 am
quinn1 wrote:

I dont think dairy has gotten me dizzy before. Interesting.

Oooh, maybe you have that to look forward too.Its like being on a roller coaster but your walking!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Wed 12 Oct, 2005 08:20 am
Sounds fun.
And cheese is so much cheaper than alcohol.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:50 am
I'm excited

Wink
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 07:55 am
The Pentacle Queen wrote:
Sounds fun.
And cheese is so much cheaper than alcohol.

I think youve hit on something there!!

Alcocheeses!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2005 08:23 am
Yes, they go together too, like cheese and wine.
0 Replies