Lactose Intolerance...

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 08:52 am
Hi, I had lactose intolerance when I was a baby, and now I'm concerned that it's come back...

I thought I had the symptoms of IBS, especially since my dad and mum suffer from it. Now I still might, but I always seem to have bad cramps and I feel sick wheneva I need the toilet.... Sad I also feel sick and have these cramps after having coffee, so I'm not sure if it could be from the caffeine..
Only thing is I've just gone back to school, and in the holidays, I wasn't having cereal with milk. Now i've started again, I've started feeling sick, as I was b4 the holidays...Not sure if any of this is making sense, but If you have any advice or something, please reply!!

Honey_rose_cr
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,500 • Replies: 33
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2005 09:02 am
Try using some of the over-the-counter products for lactose intolerance. (Lactaid is a big brand name product in the U.S. - not sure what is available in the U.K.)

If the problem doesn't occur when you are taking them then you are probably a lactard/milk-dud.
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Mon 19 Sep, 2005 01:04 pm
I don't really want to go to using drugs, or whatever that is your trying to sell me.... :wink:
I want to try and reduce the amount of lactose I'm having to see if that helps.... I had a bowl of milk on friday and felt really ill, and then I had an ice-cream yesterday and felt really ill this morning...but, it COULD be coincidence...maybe....
It's just that I won't know, for definate, for sure, coz even if I do feel better, it might be from eating less of something else, now I'm eating less of the white stuff...milk I mean...
I'm gonna try Goats milk, see if that helps...apparently it's just like cows, tastes the same, but is not quite as thick...instead of nasty soya...
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 07:45 am
hiyee! i am lactose intollerent too!
Mine came about randomly one sunday about two februarys ago when I got a headache that never stopped untill 6 months later when the doctor suggested that I take myself of various food products.
The best advice I would give you would be to cut out all dairy products for two or three weeks, and if you like substitute with soya (I dont like goats milk, but chocolate and banna flavoured soya is lovely, just like real milkshakes)
And in case you didnt know, lactose is in most things including some:
sweets, tablets, bread, vegetable spread, ready meals, sachets of flavoring and soup, cereals, biscuits, and a lots of other things that you wouldnt expect.
So cut EVERYTHING out for about three weeks, and if you start feeling better, then it may be that you are lactose intollerent, so see your doctor.
thats what I did, and I've been off dairy products for about 2 years now, which sucks kinda, but its better than being ill!!!!!
hope some of that helps.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:06 am
If you had it when you were a baby, it's probably an allergy, not lactose intolerance. They have many of the same symptoms. I am allergic to dairy.

Taking the pills (which are not drugs by the way) will limit the gastrointestinal effects but will not stop the allergic reaction. Does your nose get stuffy, do you get headaches, muscle aches, have trouble breathing or get hives after eating too much dairy? As the Queen said, lactose is in so much stuff...hidden lactose is in everything from bread to cereal to sweets and the obvious stuff like chocolate and yogurt.

Your best bet is to talk to your doctor. Lactose intolerance is uncomfortable and awful to have but it won't kill you. An allergy very well might.

See the symptoms here.

Dairy Allergy

Quote:
The symptoms of a dairy allergy can manifest themselves in the skin, the digestive system or the respiratory system. Skin reactions may include an itchy red rash, hives, eczema, allergic "shiners" (black eyes), and swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, face or throat. Digestive system reactions might include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, gas, bloating or abdominal cramps. Respiratory system reactions include a runny nose, sneezing, watery or itchy eyes, nasal congestion, wheezing, shortness of breath or coughing, and even anaphylactic shock.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:11 am
wow bella, didnt know so many were lactose intollerent.
we should make a club Wink
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:14 am
Oh, we are like a lactose intolerance gang!!
Can I join.
(stands up and adresses the group)Hi Im Material Girl and Ive been knowingly lactose intolerant for about 5 years,and it sucks.

Some points Id like to make.
Ive heard goats milk is awful, really strong smell.The best milk substitute have found(and Ive tried loads) is called SO GOOD.You can buy it in most big shops in the UK, defiantely Sainsburys, Morrisons/Safeways and Tescos.Ive drunk it plain and it tastes the same as normal milk so I rcomend that.Its in cartons so look where the fruit juice is kept.

I had headaches for years and stabbing tummy pains for years and couldnt work out what it was.As soon as i stopped the dairy i immediately felt better.

Yep, annoyingly lactose is found in most products, its best to try things and work out what yuo can handle.
I can have a chocolate bar without it hurting but I wouldnt dare have ice cream or plain milk etc

A couple of weeks back a friend who is also intolerent let me try some tablets she got from a UK site.For the first time in years I ate ice cream and cheese cake(cheesecake is my favourite, I love it so)I had no pain after eating it at all.The only side effect was alot of botty burps which I still get but not as bad as the old days.

I think the only real way to avoid LI is to only eat fuit, veg and meat, avoid all the products rightly mentioned in previous post.
Coffee/caffiene is a stomach irritant and will make yuo feel awful.

Good luck
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
yes of course you can join MG!!!
what shall we call ourselves?
Ive never tried tablets, but I have eaten soya ice cream, which was very nice, if not a bit chewy.
The only think is though, i dont get any stomach pains at all, I just get a headache, and i nearly always feel groggy. that wasnt on the side effects.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:29 am
I am not intolerant, I am allergic.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 08:30 am
Ooh, your quite lucky.I had stomach pains and they were awful, I had to walk slightly bent forward s they wernt so sharp, not nice.
I took headache tablets everyday for a couple of years, my parents thought I was odd, understandably.I have a fear of headaches now and sometimes take a tablet when I get a slight twinge but Im trying to ween myself off them and ionly take them when completely necesary.

Groggy, I always feel groogy but I cant work out if its a LI thing!!
Does your head feel muffled and cloudy?
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 04:50 am
sometimes. It never feels completely normal.
But be carefull about tablets, the ones my doctor gave me to try and get rid of the pain made it worse, because they had lots of lactose in.
mmm lucky, well yes i suppose i am, but it wasnt nice having a really-bad-non-stop-headache for six months.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:35 am
Sorry, didnt mean to dismiss your headaches, I had mine for a while too.I hate headaches with a passion, they ruin the entire day.

How stupid of your doctor to give you tablets with the ingredients in that make you poorly!!

Sounds silly but if I can avoid eating out I will simply coz I feel uncomfortable after I eat and Im nervous of hidden lctose.It effects my life alot.Was it you that said you thought you may have IBS?It kinda feels like that which Ive read really effects peoples lives.
I even wen to the ocs saying I had IBS, but the doc didnt do any good.

I dont know how my head should feel anymore.I cant work out if I feel cludy and foggy coz my job is draining my brain of any information or its the food Im eating.Guess il never know.

Good luck with changing your food, Il do the same at some point.I need to eat better and hopefuly in the process lose weight.

You sound really down TPQ, you can always complain to me.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:41 am
No worries!
no, im not down at all!! just tired.
what is IBS? it wasnt me who said it, i dont know what it is.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:40 am
Oh it was Honey rose that mentioned IBS.Irritable bowel syndrome, basically some foods go in, go through and want to explode out again without waiting for the person to find a toilet.
Ive read some stories on it and its horrific!!Poor people.
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 08:25 am
mmm, not nice, at least i dont suffer from that!
forgive me for asking, but which part of the UK do any of you come from?
(I say forgive me, because some people dont like giving any details for some reason)
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:01 am
South
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:21 am
me too!!!
0 Replies

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:22 am
me too!!!