Red Cross calls for 40,000 volunteers

JPB

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:32 pm
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (CNN) -- The American Red Cross put out an urgent call Saturday for 40,000 new volunteers to help feed, house and comfort Hurricane Katrina victims.
Quote:

"This is a disaster of such scope and such significance, it's not going to go away in a few weeks or a few months," Red Cross spokesman John Degnan said.

"We're putting out an appeal to people to step forward and volunteer so they can be trained."

It was the first time in the organization's history it had launched such a massive recruitment drive.

But, Degnan said, an extraordinary response is needed for "a disaster unprecedented in its impact and scope in the United States."

"We're not going to be able to fix this overnight," Degnan said. "We're going to need a long time and a lot of people."

He added that the first shift of 10,000 recruits will be needed in two weeks to relieve 36,000 volunteers now deployed.

More than 160,000 Hurricane Katrina survivors are staying at 675 shelters in 23 states, he said. Last night the Red Cross served 500,000 hot meals.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/09/10/katrina.impact/index.html

There was no specific information within the article on how to go about signing up. I'll try to find out and post the info.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 997 • Replies: 14
No top replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:11 pm
What's going on??? The red cross needs help, and Bush refuses help from other countries!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:23 pm
it's the Red Cross that needs help in the shetlers - go to the houston website and read about volunteer
training, it's not so much about activity in the NO area
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 11:27 pm
Help is help
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Thu 15 Sep, 2005 06:52 am
Re: Red Cross calls for 40,000 volunteers
Quote:
Last night the Red Cross served 500,000 hot meals.

Perhapes Ma Bush could volunteer to do a bit of washing up?
If her son can't russle up any food for survivors... and he is the President of the US (isn't he) ... surely its the least she can do.
There would be plenty of woman very qualified to give her instructions on how to go about it.

You plunge and scrub...plunge and scrub....

Out damn spot
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:32 pm
I begin my disaster services training on Monday. There are a number of courses I need to take, and they will probably keep me on reserve for local issues for now, sending the more senior people out of area, but once I have the training I will be available to go where ever I'm needed. Even if I'm not sent to the Gulf coast this year, there will be other disasters in other years and there's got to be something I can to help.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:45 pm
Good on ya, JB.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:58 pm
J-B--

Man is born to trouble as the sparks fly upward--and you'll be ready.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:01 pm
J_B proud of you!!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:10 pm
Quote:

Training:

• Introduction to Red Cross

• Orientation to DAT responsibilities, activities, and organizational structure, including the team's relationship to the chapter's disaster leadership, disaster preparedness and operational response, disaster staff, and general information about how to respond to the media.

• Orientation to the Chapter's Disaster Response Plan

• Introduction to Disaster Services

• Family Service

• Residential Fire Workshop

• Damage Assessment I

• Mass Care: An Overview

• Shelter Operation

• Shelter Simulation

• Standard First Aid/CPR

Other recommended training:

• Defensive Driving

• Public Affairs I

• Serving the Diverse Community

• Administering a Small Disaster Operation

Other:

• Familiarity with ARC policies, regulations and procedures for Disaster Services

• Performance that abides to the Code of Conduct and the Fundamental Principles of the Red Cross and adheres to the standards of ARC identification and personal attire.

• Able to work under stressful conditions and able to work with and serve a wide diverse population

Thanks, guys. Defensive driving? Cool :wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:47 pm
J_B--

Share your class notes, please. I don't qualify for Red Cross training because I can't tote-that-barge and lift-that-bale any more, but I have a feeling that informed civilians are more useful in disaster than uninformed civilians.

Meanwhile, I can always organize half-day story "hours".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:18 pm
Today was the intro to volunteer opportunities. A open-call of sorts to give us general information and sort us into groups whose primary interest is in a local deployment for Katrina/Rita issues, the national deployment for Katrina/Rita issues, and ongoing volunteer opportunities not associated with the current situation in the Gulf coast.

My interests are in the national deployment to the Gulf coast and I will begin training immediately. The greater Chicago area has been requested to deploy 1,900 individuals (of the 40,000 mentioned in the title of this thread) as soon as possible. Training classes will be held throughout October and, given the large numbers of people coming from this area, there is now a 50/50 chance of being deployed before the end of the year.

The list of classes I posted earlier are the full-boat of training but only a few of them are required before someone can be deployed.

The national deployment is considered a 'hardship deployment'. You have to be able to live in the same conditions as those you are there to help. You have to be in good general health, be able to lift 50 lbs, and be willing to be deployed for up to three weeks. The focus is to provide food, clothing and shelter to meet the immediate needs of the victims, to assist in procuring any medical or mental health needs and to help them get a fresh start.

I'm hoping to complete my paperwork, etc this week and be available for the training sessions as soon as they want me.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:23 pm
Thats wonderful!
0 Replies

Damalla

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 12:13 am
Great News, does anyone here offered to volunteer?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2005 06:37 am
Hello, Damalla. Welcome to A2K.

I have partly completed the training. The next step is a medical release from my dr stating I'm fit to go. Not an issue other than a chronic back problem flaired up last week and I need to get that under control before he signs me off. I hope to complete training by the end of the month and be available for deployment by November.
0 Replies