So English's origin is Hebrew

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:20 am
French is the same as Gaelic, just spelt with an "r" instead of an "e".
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:24 am
Quote:
English is combaination of Latin, Greek, old Gaelic and the language that the AngloSaxons spoke.
Virtually no Gaelic (Gaelic was never spoken in the country we know know as England), and remarkably little Brythonic (the Celtic language that was spoken here before the Roman conquest). Essentially, as I said, English is a descendant of Old English (the language that the Anglo-Saxons spoke), much affected by Norman French, Latin and Greek.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:37 am
Frrnch - right works for me Very Happy
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 06:57 am
syntinen wrote:
Setanta's right, ps2huang; either your source was nonsense, or you have completely misunderstood it.

English grammar and vocabulary was originally Germanic; the structure of "Old English" as spoken and written between 600 and 1100 A.D. was very similar to that of modern German and Dutch. The language was then hugely modified by French, because for about 300 years after that, after the Norman Conquest our entire ruling and literate class was French-speaking, and by Latin, because for more than a millennium the language of educated people was Latin. But there is no Hebrew element in English grammar. None.

This mixture of languages has made the language rich, though this does make it difficult for learners. Because of it, English has a huge vocabulary, since many concepts in English are represented by words from each language: for example, if you want to say that someone or something is "like a king" you can use a Germanic word (kingly), a French word (royal) or a Latin one (regal); and each of these words has a slightly different nuance. There are also a number of cases where words of different origin and different meaning coincidentally have the same spelling and sound: e.g. "fair". (The adjective fair meaning "beautiful, equitable, light-coloured" is Germanic; the noun fair meaning "a gathering to buy and sell things" is from Old French.)

The only shred of fact in your post is that the idea of the alphabet was invented around 2000 BC by foreign workers (either slaves, mercenaries or guest-workers; we don't know) in the Egyptian Empire, who had the idea of taking some of the symbols of Egyptian hieroglyphics, which in Egyptian writing represented words or concepts, and using them to represent sounds instead. All the alphabets of Europe and the Middle East were developed ultimately from this invention; Hebrew is just the oldest one of these currently in use.

You do have a point that the "Latin" alphabet that we use isn't very well adapted to the sounds of English (since the Romans devised it in order to write Latin), and it might be easier for everyone if we had adapted it a bit more so that we had a proper letter to represent each of the common sounds of English, as the Russians adapted the Greek alphabet, adding extra letters for the sounds of their Slavonic language.

I find this so interesting!!!

I have been wanting to post a thread (in the philosophy section) on "In Search of the Adamic Language". I have not done it because I fear no one will be interested. After reading this post I'm very tempted. I have three links I have been saving, and I welcome more. Should I, would everyone here participate?
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:24 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:

I find this so interesting!!!

I have been wanting to post a thread (in the philosophy section) on "In Search of the Adamic Language". I have not done it because I fear no one will be interested. After reading this post I'm very tempted. I have three links I have been saving, and I welcome more. Should I, would everyone here participate?

Adamic language, eh?.....Do I HAVE to be called Adam to take part? You see, the problem is that I don't have a first name. I could always try to get into the proposed thread, using my nickname of Spanky, which sounds a bit like Adam, if you say it through clenched teeth.

I'm just a bit worried that I wouldn't get away with it, though. What do you think?
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 08:42 am
KK spanky *big smile* kewl name! *speaks to herself, that name must have special meaning to him, giggles* Is that spanky or spunky? LOL
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:36 am
and chinese
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 09:42 am
Well that should help ps2huang a lot. It certainly helped me down the local chinese take away.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:03 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Frrnch - right works for me Very Happy

Nice one, mate!
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 12:06 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
and chinese

.....and don't forget Indian. Jodhpur, Bungalow, Indian Pale Ale, etc...

My very first word was Vindaloo, apparently.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 02:54 pm
This is all such nonsense. Everyone knows that Esperanto is really the Ur-language, recently rediscovered in the 20th Century. Why more people don't adopt it as their everyday speech is beyond me.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:03 pm
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
and chinese

.....and don't forget Indian. Jodhpur, Bungalow, Indian Pale Ale, etc...

My very first word was Vindaloo, apparently.

doo-lally more like, beggin' your pardon milord.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 13 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
Although "Loohh, my goodness me" was noted as such in St. Zenobia the Uncovered parish church's archives by the vicar Aldwulf de Bonafide on occasion of the baptism of his Lordship.
0 Replies