AFTER THE BREAK OF DAY

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:25 pm
I am not for shooting at all. I just don't buy it for what in my memory was more that two days delay for help in a city with milling guardsmen and people wading in water.

I'm from riotville, or the land of urban disorder, Los Angeles. I can understand all the pushes and pulls. Two days is too long. I'd like to see the sequencing of how it worked out that someone finally delivered food and someone finally picked up the very very ill.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 11:30 pm
Understood. That's why I said it may have had some small part. I'm not sure we will ever know everything about it. Just so thankful help is finally there and something is being done.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:00 am
Heads turn as Mexican troops roll into US with aid

Quote:
NUEVO LAREDO, Mexico, Sept 8 (Reuters) - A Mexican army convoy rolled into the United States on Thursday with food, water and medicine for Hurricane Katrina victims, the first Mexican military operation on U.S. soil in 90 years.

Part of an aid package that includes ships and rescue teams, the convoy of 45 olive-green vehicles and some 200 troops went over the Rio Grande into Texas from the city of Nuevo Laredo, witnesses said.

Mexicans, who often have a love-hate relationship with their northern neighbor, are surprised and proud at being able to help in the hurricane aftermath. Mexico has often been the recipient of foreign aid for earthquakes and other natural disasters.

People cheered, waved, honked car horns and rang bells in villages as the convoy snaked up to the border this week.

Very Happy
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:04 am
They must have slipped past the Minutemen.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:06 am
They were probably on their lunch break . . . or off cleaning their weapons . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:16 am
Whoa, Bubba . . . them wetbacks is e-quipped . . . we better lay low ! ! !
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:27 am
Canadians beat U.S. Army to New Orleans suburb

Quote:
BATON ROUGE, Louisiana (Reuters) - A Canadian search-and-rescue team reached a flooded New Orleans suburb to help save trapped residents five days before the U.S. military, a Louisiana state senator said on Wednesday.

The Canadians beat both the Army and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the U.S. disaster response department, to St. Bernard Parish east of New Orleans, where flood waters are still 8 feet deep in places, Sen. Walter Boasso said.

"Fabulous, fabulous guys," Boasso said. "They started rolling with us and got in boats to save people."

"We've got Canadian flags flying everywhere."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 05:59 am
So, we need Minutemen up north, too.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 06:39 am
*YAWN*

another "I hate Bush" screed disguised as a thread.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 07:10 am
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/newjersey/ny-bc-nj--katrinaaid-garret0908sep08,0,3655201.story?coll=ny-region-apnewjersey

Quote:
Garrett one of only 11 congressmen voting against Katrina aid bill

By DONNA DE LA CRUZ
Associated Press Writer

September 8, 2005, 8:22 PM EDT

WASHINGTON -- New Jersey Rep. Scott Garrett said Thursday he voted against sending $51.8 billion in emergency relief to the areas affected by Hurricane Katrina because the bill contained no accountability measures.

"I wanted to make sure that the people in the affected areas get every bit of assistance they absolutely need," Garrett said in a telephone interview from his office here. "We do that by making sure there's accountability through FEMA (the Federal Emergency Management Agency)."

Funny how oversite becomes suddenly important.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 9 Sep, 2005 08:22 am
From Rep. Garrett's Homepage (R-NJ)

Quote:
Washington, Jul 29 - Today, in final floor action before the August District Work Period, the House of Representatives passed the Transportation Equity Act, securing over $7 billion dollars in transportation funding for the state of New Jersey over the next six years. This bill was the final conference report on the Transportation Equity Act, as amended by the Senate and agreed to by House conferees. The bill now goes to the President's desk for final signature.

"Improved transportation is one of my highest priorities," Garrett said. "These funds will boost our state's infrastructure and help to enhance future growth and prosperity in the state."

The projects for which Garrett secured funding include:

$2,160,000 - WARREN COUNTY
NJ Route 57/County Route 519 Intersection Improvement
Historically, this intersection has been a roadway hazard, causing many fatal accidents in Warren County. Two segments of the existing intersection consist of two narrow bridges straddling a stream. As a result, this location lacks the proper roadway capacity and ability for automobiles to make adequate turns. This project requires widening of the intersection to include left and right turning lanes, replacing two bridge structures and improving the four road segments leading up to the intersection.

That sounds like a state problem to me. How about you?

The federal government is supposed to pay for widening 1 intersection in New Jersey at a cost of 2.1 million, but it isn't responsible for adequately fund the Corps of Engineers building of levees to save a whole city.

That's as strange as demanding oversight and accountability now after awarding bookoo bucks in no bid contracts to Haliburton, which we know have been abused.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 07:07 am
bm
0 Replies