Should New Orleans be rebuilt?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 06:18 pm
American Planning Association article HERE
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 05:08 am
I dont think you'll have enough time between hurricanes and floods...

There's a program on UK radio called Dead Ringers. One guy takes off Bush perfectly. The other week he started his spoof address "My fellow Amphibians..." Smile

or should that be Sad
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:45 am
BBB
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I dont think you'll have enough time between hurricanes and floods...

There's a program on UK radio called Dead Ringers. One guy takes off Bush perfectly. The other week he started his spoof address "My fellow Amphibians..." Smile

or should that be Sad

The Dead Ringers"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/deadringers/
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:54 am
BBB
CNN just reported another levee has failed and is reflooding one of the badly hit areas in New Orleans.

BBB
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
Should New orleans be rebuilt? Not On my dime it shouldn't.
0 Replies

jpinMilwaukee

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 11:06 am
It doesn't sound good for NO.

Quote:
"Our worst fears came true," said Maj. Barry Guidry of the Georgia National Guard.

"We have three significant breaches in the levee and the water is rising rapidly," he said. "At daybreak I found substantial breaks and they've grown larger."

Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over and through a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal levee. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast. Guidry said water was rising about three inches a minute.

link
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:11 pm
AU1929: Should New Orleans be rebuilt?
Setanta: No.
Setanta: Will it be rebuilt? Very likely.
CalamityJane: Do they have enough funds to rebuild?

No, but that won't stop Georg W. All he has to do is tell the public and their senators and congressmen that restoration of New Orleans is necessary. If anyone disagrees, they are America-haters, un-Patriotic, and they are harming our boys in Iraq with this divisiveness.

Where will the money come from?
That's a piece of cake to George W. To strenghten the economy we should continue tax cuts for the super-rich and continue cutting down or elminating programs for the, uh, uh rabble. If that doesn't hack it , we should we can always just defer the debt and put it on the shoulders of future generations. After all, what have future generations done for us?
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
the
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:17 pm
And yet the beat goes on. The Left accuses GWB of 'hating black people' and failing to act to save New Orleans. And now they condemn him for pledging to rebuild it.

Had he said, the people of New Orleans will rebuild their city or the Federal government stands behind them or we will need to help the people relocate and re-establish their lives, the same people would be condemning him for racism, not caring about the poor, writing off a 'blue' city, yadda yadda yadda.

Should New Orleans be rebuilt? Of course if the people want it rebuilt. But the people should be the ones doing it.

If the government does do this, then I vote to set the people up in tent cities or other temporary housing with adequate infrastructure to have a life, teach them to use a hammer and saw or whatever, and pay them a salary while they're rebuilding. Benefits: they are gainfully employed and off welfare, the work gets done, and they can do it.
If they don't want to do it, then no welfare and no new New Orleans. Except for the truly helpless, they are on their own.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:30 pm
Foxy wrote
Quote:
The Left accuses GWB of 'hating black people' and failing to act to save New Orleans. And now they condemn him for pledging to rebuild it.

That is a pretty all encompassing statement. And almost as ridiculous as those playing the race card.
What he is being blamed for is the inefficiencies of the federal government in the present situation. And the incompetence of the people he put in charge. Remember like it or not the buck stops at the man in charge.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:39 pm
Nonsense, Au. I listen to Cspan, CNN, MSNBC, and others and I hear what they say. Louis Farra-whatsit is even saying that the levee in New Orleans was dynamited and nobody is correcting him. You can't deny that the Democrats have not been poltiicizing this for all they can get. It's contemptible but seems to go with the territory these days.

The President took responsibility for his errors. But no, that's not enough for those who will use anything, even the damage from a hurricane, to demonize him.

I just hope there are enough Americans left who can get past the blame game and actually work on fixing the problems. I don't look for that kind of leadership to come from many Democrats, however.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:45 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Nonsense, Au. I listen to Cspan, CNN, MSNBC, and others and I hear what they say. Louis Farra-whatsit is even saying that the levee in New Orleans was dynamited and nobody is correcting him. You can't deny that the Democrats have not been poltiicizing this for all they can get. It's contemptible but seems to go with the territory these days.

The President took responsibility for his errors. But no, that's not enough for those who will use anything, even the damage from a hurricane, to demonize him.

I just hope there are enough Americans left who can get past the blame game and actually work on fixing the problems. I don't look for that kind of leadership to come from many Democrats, however.

I agree.

They are almost as bad as the pathetic Republicans.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:47 pm
Name one pathetic Republican FrankApisa.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 01:53 pm
Foxy
Louis Farakan. Are you kidding. Do you know who he is and what he stands for. Next I suppose you will tell me that Sharpton and J. Jackson are also playing the race card.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:02 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Name one pathetic Republican FrankApisa.

Name a Republican...and I'll go with him/her!
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:05 pm
You make an interesting offer FrankApisa... Let's go with Trent Lott.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:07 pm
au1929 wrote:
Next I suppose you will tell me that Sharpton and J. Jackson are also playing the race card.

Only every chance they get.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:11 pm
Ticomaya
Indeed. It is always the same cast of characters that play the race card. . Is Bush racist? Although he has many faults, that IMO is not one of them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:43 pm
Sturgis wrote:

Wow!

Yes.

That is about as pathetic as you get.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 02:45 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Sturgis wrote:

Wow!

Yes.

That is about as pathetic as you get.

Even I can agree on that one Very Happy
0 Replies