Should New Orleans be rebuilt?

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 08:48 am
The question on the lips and thoughts of many is. Should New Orleans be rebuilt. What do you believe and why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 11,758 • Replies: 291
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:03 am
Should New Orleans be rebuit?

No.

Will New Orleans be rebuilt?

Very likely.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:05 am
Setanta wrote:
Should New Orleans be rebuit?

No.

Will New Orleans be rebuilt?

Very likely.

that's my answer too
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:06 am
I think they should write it off.

I also think they should treat the standing water before they pump it back in to the mainstream, but they won't I'm betting.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:06 am
BBB
An important thing I've learned from the hurricane and the failure of the levees in New Orleans.

If the political idiots decide to restore New Orleans exactly as it was, including the levee system and maintaining the diversion of the Mississippi River in it's present artifical location, they are inviting the terrorists to wait until all the expensive restoration work is done and then all they have to do is blow up the levees and the whole thing happens all over again.

Major stupidity.

There is a one time opportunity to correct the mistakes made decades ago and restore the river's natural path. This would eliminate the need for the huge lake that flodded New Orleans, the costly maintenance of the levee system.

Will common sense prevail? Maybe, if the commerical interests such as Big Oil don't have their way. But don't hold your breath.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:07 am
How about they move the White House and Congress there and pray for another hurricane?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:10 am
Those poor people haven't suffered enough, that you'd wish that on them?
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 09:15 am
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 10:56 am
higher ground where ever that is
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:05 am
The primary question would be: Do they have enough
funds to rebuild?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:09 am
Jane
CalamityJane wrote:
The primary question would be: Do they have enough
funds to rebuild?

Nope. The money is being spent in Iraq and in tax breaks for the rich.

How many lawyers and CPAs will it take for the U.S. to file for bankruptcy?

BBB
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:19 am
Aside from the money spent in Iraq New Orleans gets its working capital from the refineries, from shipping and from tourism.

All of these sources of money were damaged by the hurricane and floods.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:40 am
Noddy
Noddy24 wrote:
Aside from the money spent in Iraq New Orleans gets its working capital from the refineries, from shipping and from tourism.

All of these sources of money were damaged by the hurricane and floods.

Noddy, that, too. Of course, you have to deduct from that income the historic corruption of government in Louisiana.

BBB
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:42 am
Also, aside from the rebuilding, many people have been displaced and will need a big helping hand from the American government in order to rebuild their lives, let alone the cost to rebuild a city.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:17 pm
Before they even consider rebuilding it will I understand cost about $13 billion for cleanup and repair of the levees. Those costs to be funded by the national treasury.
Does it make sense to rebuild? No more than building on flood plains or on the side of hills that are prone to mud slides does.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 04:10 pm
au1929 wrote:
Before they even consider rebuilding it will I understand cost about $13 billion for cleanup and repair of the levees. Those costs to be funded by the national treasury.
Does it make sense to rebuild? No more than building on flood plains or on the side of hills that are prone to mud slides does.

they'd be better off splitting that money up with those who were displaced.
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 05:17 pm
I saw somewhere that Bush guaranteed that Trent Lott's mansion is going to rebuilt just as glorious as ever. Doesn't that count?
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 02:13 am
I thought a major port was needed to facilitate the transfer of goods from river barges traveling the mississippi to seagoing vessels, and other goods from seagoing vessels to river barges. What alternate location could meet that demand?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:05 am
Having such a port does not necessitate a metropolitan area of a million inhabitants.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 5 Sep, 2005 03:06 am
The port factilities are on the seaward side of Lake Pontchartrain, and barges cross the lake, and move through the city in canals which lead to the river.
0 Replies