Rehnquist has passed away

barefootTia

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:06 pm
J_B wrote:
I can't believe GWB gets to nominate another SCJ. Ugh!! what a year.

This was my first thought after I read the article!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:07 pm
Yes, Robertson did put out a call for change on the SC.

http://www.cbn.com/special/supremecourt/prayerpledge.asp
0 Replies

Noddy24

Died with his robes on. Not a bad epitaph.
0 Replies

Setanta

Lash wrote:
I hope they have hats. You'd look great in a tall pillbox with a fuschia feather...but I don't know about Setanta...

This boy don't wear no hats . . . well, i did wear that steel pot in the army, on occasions upon which it were glaringly obvious that discretion was the better part of valor . . . and survival . . .
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:11 pm
BM
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:22 pm
Comes out to be sorta like a triple play; 2 new Justices, and the appointment of a Chief Justice. That's one helluva buncha influence over the tone of The Supremes.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 10:26 pm
Setanta wrote:
Lash wrote:
I hope they have hats. You'd look great in a tall pillbox with a fuschia feather...but I don't know about Setanta...

This boy don't wear no hats . . . well, i did wear that steel pot in the army, on occasions upon which it were glaringly obvious that discretion was the better part of valor . . . and survival . . .

The Shriner's have those pillbox shaped hats with the big tassel like Fred Flinstone's secret cabal. Would you wear one of those in your secret Ilk's Club...?

Anyway. I feel bad about stepping over Rehnquist like this. But, this is huge. HUGE.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:47 pm
husker wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Pat Robertson's prayers for God to kill off some more justices have been answered!

http://www.bettybowers.com/patprayer.html

Betty Bowers® is a satirical newsletter/website Betty Bowers is a complete work of fiction. It is a satire/parody.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:56 pm
He was a great man. Because of my respect for the dead, that is all I will say. For now...
0 Replies

RfromP

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:57 pm
CerealKiller wrote:
husker wrote:
CerealKiller wrote:
Pat Robertson's prayers for God to kill off some more justices have been answered!

http://www.bettybowers.com/patprayer.html

Betty Bowers® is a satirical newsletter/website Betty Bowers is a complete work of fiction. It is a satire/parody.

Thanks Captain Obvious. Rolling Eyes

You may need this.

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/1434/captain6be.jpg
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
It is speculated that the two front runners for Chief Justice will be Scalia or Thomas. We'll know the probable nominee when we see how much defamatory oratory emerges from certain sectors of Congress and the media.

I nominate Sandra Day O'Connor fro Chief Justice!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 3 Sep, 2005 11:58 pm
Lash wrote:
The Shriner's have those pillbox shaped hats with the big tassel like Fred Flinstone's secret cabal. Would you wear one of those in your secret Ilk's Club...?

You mean a fez . . .

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/turkish%20fez-375.jpg

. . . an i can't tell ya, 'cause then the Wabbit would have ta kill ya . . .
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:00 am
Yeah. Like that!!

Re the pesky flea bitten varmint, pre-Welsh Rarebit-- as if!
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:00 am
Setanta wrote:
Lash wrote:

You mean a fez . . .

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/turkish%20fez-375.jpg

. . . an i can't tell ya, 'cause then the Wabbit would have ta kill ya . . .

Pillbox????? It just goes to show you how distorted Lash's perspective is!
0 Replies

Chrissee

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:04 am
You could only fit about FOUR pillbox hats in one Fez. Rather strange that a WOMAN would have such a lack of perspective although we are constantly subjected to being convinced that three inches equals six.

Well at least you white women are.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:11 am
Pat Robertson said Justice Clarence Thomas is next.
http://www.okdhm.com/uploaded/random/Justice.jpg
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:16 am
Setanta wrote:
Traditionally, the Chief Justice is chosen from among sitting justices.

There is no such tradition. Of the sixteen chief justices (including one recess appointment) only three have been promoted directly from the ranks of the associate justices: Edward White, Harlan Fisk Stone, and Rehnquist. A fourth, Charles Evans Hughes, served as an associate justice but resigned from the bench and was then appointed as chief justice after a 14-year hiatus. None of Rehnquist's three immediate predecessors, Fred Vinson, Earl Warren, and Warren Burger, were associate justices at the times of their appointments.

Another odd bit of trivia: Rehnquist is the first member of the supreme court to die in office since Wiley Rutledge in 1949, and one of Rutledge's clerks, John Paul Stevens, is currently the senior justice on the supreme court and will take over Rehnquist's duties until the senate confirms a new chief justice.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:17 am
Pat would killl the Gaydite--Souter.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 01:56 am
I always thought the difference between the chief justice and the associate justices was merely an administrative one. Am I wrong? If not, and if Bush is smart, he will let Stevens keep his interim chief justice position. It would allow him to show some goodwill without giving up anything substantial about his judicial politics. I wonder if Bush is smart -- ok, no, I don't.

I liked Rehnquist. I haven't read many of his opinions now that I think of it, but I did read his books: The Supreme Court, a history of the institution he presided over for 30 years. One book I found especially interesting was All the laws but one, a history of America's conflicts between civil liberties and executive powers in wartime. Then there was Centennial Crisis: The Disputed Election of 1876, which does examine that election but whose real purpose apparently was to justify the Supreme Court's conduct in that other contested election. In all those books, Rehnquist convinced me with his sober tone, his logical and persuasive descriptions of how issues hang together, and his dry humor. Rehnquist's texts were always interesting reads for me. I'll miss him.
0 Replies

lastmoderate

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 02:15 am
Rehnquist died. What a shocker.
0 Replies