Kiki 2002-2024

Seizan

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 07:01 am
“No more cats’” she said. “You are 71 and I am approaching 70 now. If we adopt one more kitten, we will be taking care of it when we reach 90.”

We have 14 cats now, most are very healthy and active. Our cats tend to live long lives. As it is, we’ll be taking care of the ones we have when we are in our mid-80’s.

Let me introduce you to the Nagahama Cat Crew...

Winter – Small and white with one blue eye and one gold eye, and a mean temper. Found her in the road by the old castle ruins nearby. She was OK but moving really slowly like she didn’t care if she got squashed by a car. Lets me pet her on the head only, with an appointment. 5 y/o.

Mayday – Huge grey Korat lost in the sugar cane field as a kitten, screaming for his mommy, food, somebody to save him, therefore “Mayday - Mayday...!” A one-person cat, loves me and barely tolerates other people. 15 y/o.

Tim – Grey and white striped kitten found near our home in 2017 with a broken hip joint. Fully recovered, very smart, talks to us a lot, opens things meant to stay closed. 7 y/o.

Happy – Another grey and white striped kitten found on the road unharmed back in 2018, dehydrated and starving, unable to run away from the giant who stopped his car and put him in a small cage always in the back seat for the purpose of saving dehydrated starving kittens. He and Tim could be twins, except they were found one year and miles apart. 6 y/o.

Shanti – Small rotund black and white, found us when she was feral, just wanted some food, hung around, now an indoor fluff-ball. 8 y/o.

Blackberry – Found her in the bushes near the home of a friend who was departing Okinawa. I felt that plucking the small black kitten out of the bushes was like picking a big blackberry. 12 y/o, now nearly deaf.

Stitch – Orange, super energetic, and a nuisance. Finds ways to get into the food cabinet and tears up the plastic pouches of dry (and wet) food. Too cute to be angry with. 7 y/o.

Missy – Feral female, lost one eye fighting outdoors, had surgery for that but is still not spayed, I am the only one who can pet her. Lives in the largest cage we could find, will not come out of her cage. Seems content to stay where she is, but if I can get her into a small carry-cage (without losing a few pints of blood) I will have her spayed. Then I will try to introduce her to the cat society in the large room where her cage is. At this point, they only say Hi through the bars (all the cats are neutered or spayed). Missy is maybe 5 y/o. Vet said Missy has had a few litters before she came to stay with us.

Paprika – Small orange and black striped tiger, very friendly, sometimes make chirping sounds like a bird rather than meowing. 6 y/o.

Lotus – Orange cat, son of Popcorn who was not our cat but the official feral neighborhood mouse/rat disposal unit. Lotus likes to be petted and brushed, but only I or my wife can approach him. Outdoor cat. Probably 10 y/o.

Pumpkin – Orange and brownish tiger cat, used to be chubby and her face looked like a round jack-o’-lantern, hence the name “Pumpkin”. Had a stroke about 2 years ago, miraculously recovered, now walks with her head somewhat tilted to her left. Very friendly, meow is rather rough like a croaking sound (always was). 17 y/o.

Mari – Large and muscular grey and white, found as a tiny starved and cold, wet kitten in the women’s restroom at a funeral home about 2 years ago, when my wife attended the funeral of a coworker’s father. Quickly adapted to indoor home life, now strapping big and extremely energetic.

Maia – Another grey and white striped tiger cat. Not really ours but the owners don’t take particularly good care of him, so he comes to the best restaurant in the neighborhood (our house). Wants desperately to be our indoor cat but even though neutered, he sprays. We keep him well-fed. He and Lotus eye each other suspiciously all day, and go wherever the other one goes. Best friend enemies. Probably 4 y/o and big for his age.

Kiki – Calico cat who came to my school the first year I taught here on Okinawa. Christmas Day 2002. Tiny and fluffy tri-color, no one wanted her. She ran into the Teacher’s Room, and immediately jumped into my lap when I called her with the silly little kissy noises cat-owners use to call their cats. We’ve been inseparable since. She was indoor-outdoor until in 2005 she was hit by a passing truck and broke her pelvis in 3 pieces. She had corrective surgery, but also lost her huge fluffy tail in the deal. So she has lived most of her life in our bedroom.

Until last year, she was large, fluffy, heavy with muscle, and quite agile. Now she has aged, quite suddenly.

Actually, Kiki started me on this A2K entry. She is 22 y/o now, blind, nearly deaf, and has arthritis. Until last week, she could barely stand and walk to use the litter box, or to get to the food and water. She has a limited range of hearing, only for high-register frequency. I placed an mp4 player near her bed so she could have some sound by way of a mix of orchestral music, violin solos, piano, and “music box music”, and she was able to locate her bed by the sound. She learned that by facing the sound, going left is food and water about 1 meter, and going right was her litter box, about 1 meter.

Kiki started having seizures last Wednesday night. Every 2 or 3 minutes, a set of 2 different types of violent, thrashing seizures. My wife (Sumako) and I were up with her all night – no sleep, just sat by her to comfort her, gently hold her paws and legs when her seizures became too violent, and sooth her between attacks.

Sumako and I took leave from school the next day (we are both school teachers), and we took Kiki to the vet. Especially her blood ammonia was off the scale, along with other factors like dehydration (despite that she drank lots of water), kidney failure, and other internal organ near-shutdowns. She was put on an IV drip with water and anti-seizure meds, and she calmed down immediately. But not much improvement other than that. She cannot stand, walk, use the litter box, or eat on her own anymore. She recognizes us by touch and smell, and tries to lift her head. But she has near-total organ failure, and there is no recovery. We can’t keep her around just to watch her slowly fade away, sick, in a nearly silent and dark world, something to make us feel that we “kept her comfortable until the end”. I don’t believe she is “comfortable”.

This is age, and while not a world record, 22 is a very old age for a cat. There is no “getting better”...

Very sadly, we will say goodbye to her at the vet clinic in about 12 hours after posting this. It isn’t easy to post that, but if I don’t, I know someone is going to ask why we didn’t make the decision to gently let her go. Then I’ll have to answer anyway.

I know some of you reading this have been through this before with your beloved pets who were actually family to you. It's never easy. Kiki has been with us through thick and thin for the past 22 years. She labored long and hard to give us the best years of her life. It’s time to let her rest.

And yes, I believe we’ll meet again.

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 08:43 am
@Seizan,
My best wishes for you and the cats. Sorry for your loss.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 10:55 am
@Seizan,
So sorry to hear this sad news.

It's a hard decision but, honestly, it's for the best. I let my two favorite cats hang on for way too long, thinking the trip to the vet would be too hard on them. I was wrong. Watching them fight for life and slowly succumb was much worse. I'm hoping I can muster the courage to do the right thing when any of my current collection get to that point. And I hope I have that option when I get to that point.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 01:09 pm
This is always the hardest part about pets. We love them so much, but they don't live as long as we do. My heart goes out to you. You gave her the best possible life she could have. Kudos to you; your home sounds like kitty paradise.

When RP and I were dating, he found a tabby in the street near his parents' home. He brought her in and we named her Kiki, after basketball player Kiki VanDeWeghe because she loved to jump and chase a ball.

She's been gone several years. I'm not much of a cat fan, but I did love her. She was a petite, fun kitty.

Oh, and here's her namesake.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51zAMU-bZIL._UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 01:33 pm
I haven't had a cat for nearly thirty years. The last was a calico named Samantha. The sweetest little cat ever. Just recently a stray came on the porch and I fed him. Now he comes twice a day. He looks tuxedo, except his chest is black. Frank clawed me when I fed him last week, so I use an extension on his dish when I give it over now.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 02:44 pm
Good morning from Okinawa. Thanks for the kind words, everyone. It's not quite 6am here, the vet opens at 10am...

The name Kiki in Japanese means "Happy Happy" if those kanji are chosen (there are a few kanji that sound the same but have different meaning).
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Mon 9 Sep, 2024 11:49 pm
This morning we went to the vet to do this, and there was sort of a small miracle -- she was awake, eating on her own, drinking water... She still can't stand, but she is stronger and complains about her treatment. She is still deaf and blind but recognizes our touch. This is a big improvement, so we brought her home with the proper meds and special soft food, and we'll see how things go for this week.

She is home now, in the bedroom in a roomy cage, and her soft music is playing (she can hear higher-frequency sounds, so we play piano, violin, some orchestral, guitar, and "music box" music softly for her). At least this way she is not in dark silence all day and night. Plus we will be feeding and watering her several times a day, and changing kitty pads often.

Sumako can come home for lunch and feed/water her since her school is much closer to home, and we both can take care of Kiki the rest of the time out of school.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 10 Sep, 2024 07:51 am
@Seizan,
Wonderful.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2024 08:08 pm
Kiki departed this morning around 3AM. After coming home from the vet clinic, she started off last week eating quite a lot rather happily, and drinking enough water. I was also giving her 50cc subcutaneous water injection nightly (despite that I hate needles, but I learned the method from another vet long ago), and she was doing ... OK.

During the past week, her appetite dwindled, and she ate smaller amounts each feeding time. Her reaction to touch and being moved became less, and her joints became rather stiff. Outside of eating and cleaning her cage, she spent just about the entire time sleeping.

Last night she ate a few grams of her special food with her ammonia-reducing meds, and had her water injection (she was no longer reacting to the feel of the needle). I changed the pads she sleeps on and turned on her music-box music.

This morning she was gone. She apparently just ...stopped. During the night she put up no "final fuss" like many cats who pass. She just slept on, and didn't wake.

Sumako and I had already agreed to return to the vet today after school, and discuss euthanasia. Last week was perhaps Kiki's final burst of energy that so many animals evince before their final swift decline, and we knew that.

At least, Kiki was home. When she was conscious, she knew where she was, and that familiar and loving hands touched and cared for her. She knew it was me when I brushed her; she knew our touch. She knew she was home.

Sumako had already chosen a spot in the backyard that she felt Kiki would prefer, looking across the yard into the dojo (which is on the ground floor). Many years ago, Kiki used to sit on the wood deck outside the dojo and watch us clumsy humans stretch and perform our karate antics, and we suspect she was amused.

She was 22 years old, which supposedly equals age 104 for a human.

Rest in peace, my darling Kiki.

You are already missed.
jespah

Reply Wed 18 Sep, 2024 08:48 pm
@Seizan,
Peace to you and yours. <3
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2024 03:51 am
@Seizan,
Sorry for your loss. You took extraordinary care and provided comfort during her lifetime and during her passing. My deepest sympathy,
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2024 07:25 am
Thank you all. It hurts. 22 years and we were naive enough to believe it would never end. We never learn. Such is the way with all whom we love....

Sumako and I were going to lay Kiki to her rest today, but our granddaughter Saki (8-y/o) wants to say goodbye tomorrow afternoon, after the school day is done. We will wait for her, though of course we can't wait too long. I moved Kiki to another place in the house where it is cooler and drier, with no other cats to be a bother.

I brushed her fur and made her look neat and beautiful; Kiki looks like she is napping.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Sep, 2024 11:22 pm
I'm so sorry for this loss for you, I've nursed many animals to their final moment and I still miss all of them. You and your wife did a good thing for Kiki.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 03:50 am
https://imgur.com/a/wBWgb0g

Kiki early this month. Here, she was listening to her music-box music, the last sounds she was able to hear. A tiny light on the mp3 player blinked when the music was playing. Apparently she could dimly see the blinking light by which she could navigate her way to the food and water, and to the litter box. She learned that when she faced the music and the blinking light, she was on her sleeping area. For several weeks before she passed, she always found and slept on exactly that spot in front of the player.
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 03:59 am
I posted the link to the photo OK, but how can I post the photo itself? I used Imagur and got a link to the photo, but I would prefer to post the photo.

How are folks doing this; are you using Imagur or some other site?
Region Philbis

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 04:47 am

https://i.imgur.com/ybzl74L.jpeg
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 04:49 am
@Seizan,

i clicked the link, then right-clicked the image and copied the image address.

then i added img tags and adjusted the width so it would fit nicely on the page...

Code:[img width=950]https://i.imgur.com/ybzl74L.jpeg[/img]

RIP Kiki...

Seizan

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 06:43 am
@Region Philbis,
Thank you so much!

My wife Sumako (even though she had seen the photo before) was deeply touched that one of Kiki's last photos has been shared with others.

If I post any other photos, I'll try the method you outlined...
0 Replies

Seizan

Reply Fri 20 Sep, 2024 07:45 am
@Region Philbis,
It worked! Thanks again.

See new topic, "Cats in my Life", just posted.
0 Replies