Letter from Michael Moore to President Bush

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:31 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I knew that was coming tico. Thought about it myself but then again, I'm far too polite

I tried to resist ... but couldn't.

Another thing MM could do is go down there to NO, get down on all fours and provide shelter to many displaced people.

Is this thing on? Tough crowd here.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:32 am
shewolf
shewolfnm wrote:
Let me rephrase what I mean by ' big mouth"

he speaks to the right people
at the right time
and very loudly...

( wasnt ment to be a slam.. hehe.. )

Sheeeesh! Can't you say what you mean, you dummy?

BBB :wink:
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:41 am
no...

that is why i stay outta politics..

oh wait..
im still here.Laughing

I dont hate MM. I dont oppose his choices, opinions etc..
but i truly believe that right NOW isnt the time for him to play the 'gloat boat'
Now is not the time to just stand around smashing bush. Yeah, we all know bush did things wrong . We all know the governor of NO did things wrong as well. So what?
As people are pointing the finger and playing the blame game, there are people dying in flood waters due to lack of man power.
People like MM should be using thier voice, social status, journalisim experiences.. and what not to start attracting ATTENTION to the problem and bring SOLUTIONS.
Bash Bush and who ever else you want to LATER.
Now i dont believe is the appropriate time.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 11:48 am
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Would anyone here write a letter like he did, or make a film? Speak up like he did to your government, out of this forum? Honestly, I would not. I love my country, but I'm scared of my government.

took a while to find this, amidst all the anatomical discussions. Kanye West certainly spoke up on NBC TV. i know, he's not on this forum, but i'm guessing most people in a2k aren't celebrities, so whatever they say or write doesn't get public exposure. i think a better question would be, would you speak up if you were in the spotlight.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:08 pm
yitwail wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Would anyone here write a letter like he did, or make a film? Speak up like he did to your government, out of this forum? Honestly, I would not. I love my country, but I'm scared of my government.

took a while to find this, amidst all the anatomical discussions. Kanye West certainly spoke up on NBC TV. i know, he's not on this forum, but i'm guessing most people in a2k aren't celebrities, so whatever they say or write doesn't get public exposure. i think a better question would be, would you speak up if you were in the spotlight.

Well now he is a celebrity. But, he was not in the beginning, and he wanted to make a statement, and he did.

I don't believe this country is prepared for more disasters like the one we just had or the 9/11 one, so, I do blame the president. Lets hope he really has learned from these, and prepares for any more coming disasters.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:13 pm
Why has no one answered my question about fat people versus smokers? I am truly interested in the reasoning behind why we can bash smokers (a choice) but not fat people (eating and not exercising is a choice for most, but not all).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:25 pm
its a pc thing bella

just a fashion

we will all pick on something else in a while

and of course there is a hierachy of pc correctness.

smoking is bad

being thin is good

so a thin smoker is worse off than a fat non smoker

and someone who doesnt excercise is fat drinks

smokes and gambles is probably adored by thousands
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:26 pm
AngeliqueEast wrote:
Well now he is a celebrity. But, he was not in the beginning, and he wanted to make a statement, and he did.

I don't believe this country is prepared for more disasters like the one we just had or the 9/11 one, so, I do blame the president. Lets hope he really has learned from these, and prepares for any more coming disasters.

good point, he did make films before becoming a celeb, and i don't have filmmaking talent or aspirations, so i don't have the same opportunity to stick my neck out, even if i wanted to.

as to preparing for future disasters, the president may well try to do so, but that's no guarantee of success. i'm sure i'll get jumped on for making a non sequitur, but look at the last space shuttle mission. after years and billions spent because of damage caused by foam debris during launch, the revamped shuttle is launched and foam flies off, but luckily didn't hit anything critical.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 12:39 pm
yitwail wrote:
AngeliqueEast wrote:

good point, he did make films before becoming a celeb, and i don't have filmmaking talent or aspirations, so i don't have the same opportunity to stick my neck out, even if i wanted to.

as to preparing for future disasters, the president may well try to do so, but that's no guarantee of success. i'm sure i'll get jumped on for making a non sequitur, but look at the last space shuttle mission. after years and billions spent because of damage caused by foam debris during launch, the revamped shuttle is launched and foam flies off, but luckily didn't hit anything critical.

All you need is paper and pen, and not be afraid.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:08 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Why has no one answered my question about fat people versus smokers? I am truly interested in the reasoning behind why we can bash smokers (a choice) but not fat people (eating and not exercising is a choice for most, but not all).

i don't know. maybe the fact that obesity is considered a disease by many has something to do with it. i've never thought of this before, but it's also puzzling why alcoholism is a disease while smoking isn't. btw, i don't bash smokers or fat people, and i eschew tit-for-tat, in case anyone thinks i condone bashing fat people simply because i don't denounce it every time it happens.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
People bash things all the time. Personal attacks on religion are acceptable but "fat bashing" is not acceptable. Why? Honestly. To some people, religion is the most personal thing they have so to bash them is the worst thing you could possibly do, however, it's done all the time without any sort of guilt or remorse. If you sayanything about a fat person, (in fact, just me saying fat person is "bad") you are the devil.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 02:59 pm
Bush is wrong about what? I know this has to be sarcastic jest.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 08:57 pm
slkshock7 wrote:
The report is very clear that any global warming that is occuring is making hurricaines neither more numerous nor more intense.

Nice attempt at restating your position without effectively changing anything. The same report which said that hurricanes are neither more numerous nor more intense, (more about that later), also said that, in the Gulf Coast, there is:

USGCS Report wrote:
More atmospheric water vapor

More precipitation

More intense precipitation events

Now, if you truly believe that what you just saw in New Orleans and Mississippi is not a prime example of an "intense precipitation event", then I don't know what to tell you.
0 Replies

pragmatic

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:16 pm
KiwiChic wrote:
hmmm good letter....
maybe Mike Moore should run for President??

I'm willing to bet you would need the national guard to prevent the protestors from:
- tearing down every single video rental store which rents out Moore tapes
- demand that the "White House" now be known as the "sh*t house."
- flattening the US supreme court while claiming that the vote was rigged and there should be a re-vote
- bully the church and the pope into excommunicating Moore and condemn him to the depths of hell

etc etc. Finish of the list for me.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:01 pm
Despite the USGCS report, there is indeed evidence that hurricanes are getting more intense.

Up to now, intensity level of a hurricane was measured by the top intensity it achieved. However-there is a flaw in this system: no attempt was made to factor in how long it kept this intensity.

So Hurricane A, which kept it's top intensity for a few hours, measures equally to Hurricane B, which kept it's top intensity for a day or more. Needless to say, Hurricane B has for more potential for destruction.

That situation has now been rectified.

Famous MIT climatologist Kerry Emanuel has measured the intensity of hurricanes in the Atlantic and Pacific over decades and has reached the startling conclusion that the total power dissipated in these hurricanes today is twice as much as it was thirty years ago.

Kerry Emanuel wrote:
... the potential destructiveness of hurricanes based on the total dissipation of power, integrated over the lifetime of the cyclone, and show that this index has increased markedly since the mid-1970s. This trend is due to both longer storm lifetimes and greater storm intensities. I find that the record of net hurricane power dissipation is highly correlated with tropical sea surface temperature, reflecting well-documented climate signals, including multi-decadal oscillations in the North Atlantic and North Pacific, and global warming.
Source.

The conclusions of the USGCS were not calculated with the total power dissipation of the hurricanes in question. Only the peak intensity. This is the reason for the discrepancy between it's conclusions of "more intense precipitation events" but not more numerous or intense hurricanes.

Here is MIT's Kerry Emauel's chart showing both tropical seas surface temperatures, (solid line), and the Power Dissipation, (PDI), of Atlantic hurricanes. Note the upward trend, as well the correlation between increased tropical sea surface temperature and the increasing power of hurricanes.

http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2005/Cyclone-Increasing-Destructive4aug05f1.gif
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 10:35 pm
MM is simply exposing Bush's wrong doings and happens to be in a position to be heard. I admire his guts and persistance in trying to open the eyes of so many who just can't see things for what they are.

And who cares if he's freakin fat? I agree with BBB that when you make snide remarks about him being fat, you're insulting everyone else out there who may be fat and that's pretty rude.

Bella
If someone picks on me smoking, they're still picking and I get get offended when people pick at me.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:25 am
just read your last post then your user name pragman

Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 03:35 am
significant statistics Keltic thanks

does Dr Emaual have an explanation for the apparant anomaly 1960-1970?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:25 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
...does Dr Emaual have an explanation for the apparant anomaly 1960-1970?

Actually, I don't know if he's a PhD., although most people you hear of from MIT seem to be Laughing

While the tropical surface temperature seems to be closely correlated, there are other factors which can affect this.

Kerry Emauel wrote:
Tropical cyclone intensity also depends on the temperature distribution of the upper ocean, and there is some indication that sub-surface temperatures have also been increasing...

There is also the issue of wind speeds being measured from aircraft, (reasonably accurate) before the early 70's, and from satellites, (more accurate), after the early 70's.

Interestingly, if you combine the Atlantic and Pacific readings, you find that the anomaly works the opposite direction from the Atlantic storms alone-the power dissipated is somewhat less than the tropical surface temps would indicate. But the anomaly is not large, or long lasting, in any event.

http://www.mindfully.org/Air/2005/Cyclone-Increasing-Destructive4aug05f3.gif

The basic trend is apparent-much more power dissipated in storms over the last thirty years.

Kerry Emanuel has written a book on his findings, Divine Wind
The History and Science of Hurricanes

published by Oxford University Press.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 7 Sep, 2005 07:54 am
Referring to Michael Moore, Montana wrote:
.. I admire his guts ...

Then you must admire him a lot.
0 Replies