So... I'm going to Italy for 4 months

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:39 am
Finally, the letter of acceptance has come from host university and I'll start the visa tramits tomorrow. I go there to study via my school but, honestly, studying is way behind on my list.

As some of you know, I'll be staying in Bergamo. I don't know where I'll sleep but I figure for the first few days I'll stay in a hostel while I get someone to rent an apartment with.

Been thinkin about amount of clothes and extra things and so I thought abuot taking 2 suitcases (not too big) and a backpack to fulfill all carriage needs. I'm taking travel size personal hygiene items to satisfy my needs until I'm settled there and can buy those kinds of things over there.

I plan on running south of Italy as soon as I have the chance, Rome and Venice are my top priorities but I've been told I can't go wrong with whichever city I visit there. I'm almost sure I'll visit Switzerland and Czech Republic as they're the closest. A friend might meet me there on december and if that happens we'll surely visit France.

Percentage-wise: I'm 60% excited, 40% scared. Although the balance might favor the other side once the date gets closer and closer. I leave Sept. 9 from San Diego to Atlanta to Milan.

As always, any comments, questions, tips or suggestion is welcome.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,241 • Replies: 109
No top replies

material girl

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 01:49 am
Ive been to Switzerland and Florence.
Switzerland scenery is amazing, I loved the views, clear air and the walks we went on.We went to a town in the hills where no cars were allowed!
In Florence we visited lots of museums which were near the area wheer Room with a View was filmed.The one odd thing about Italy is that we went into a cafe to get something to eat, we had to decide what we wanted, go tell the cashier then get the food!I dont know if that happens everywhere in Italy but its worth looking into.

Place thinghs like underwaer in any shoes you are taking so it will take up less space.If you can put a change of clothes in the suitcase of someone else that you are going with, if yuor case gets lost at least you will have something to change into.
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 03:48 am
So welcome Smile

Let me know when you will be around Rome.

Italian people are like any other people in the world: you will find some are kind and willing to help and other are stupid or worse. Bergamo is a nice and calm little city, people there are not renown to be really friendly with strangers, but will probably be quite kind with tourists. On the other hand Bergamo has few or -almost- no crime. Bergamo is also quite an expensive city, be quick to learn the use of euro, and always check your bills. Enjoy your trip. Very Happy
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:41 am
Joefx, I'm happy you received the letter.

I have no particular advice except to take notes about your thoughts from time to time, in a diary, or here.,,
and to have a fine adventure.

Things will be wonderful and things will be difficult to figure out - often within a short time of each other. Enjoy both...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
Oh, and some of us would love to see photos at some point if it is convenient for you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:43 am
September 9th, oh, boy, what fun.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 2 Sep, 2005 10:51 am
Oh my god, I'm so jealous!!!! How cool! Enjoy!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:55 am
I'll take my digital camera so pictures are in my plans.

But I'm so stressed out right now, in order to get the student visa I needed the letter of acceptance, but the visa tramit takes from 15 to 20 days, and the plane ticket says sept. 9th. So current plans are change the tickets and hope the visa arrives before the date I change it to.

Damn!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 11:57 am
good luck, have fun, and check in alot, are you going to have internet access?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 12:05 pm
Man, I'd be trying to email someone to expedite that, Joe -
that letter took a long time getting to you. I wonder if there is anyone at the school there who could help...
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 03:05 pm
I've emailed the ones in charge of international relations at my school and at the University of Bergamo.

The consul here in Tijuana doesn't seem like he wants to help much, so I'll call the one in Mexico City tomorrow to see if the process can be done faster.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 03:34 pm
Re: So... I'm going to Italy for 4 months
I'm glad, too, all seems to work out well!

JoeFX wrote:
I'm almost sure I'll visit Switzerland and Czech Republic as they're the closest.

Are you really sure about that? :wink:

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/4185/bergamoeuropemap4yq.jpg
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 03:41 pm
JoeFX, have a great time, including your studies!

I'll be excited to read about your experiences and to see pictures.

Best of luck and safe traveling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 4 Sep, 2005 06:30 pm
Me, I'm sure he'll be fine if he gets there. It costs money to change plane tickets and he has other school to get on with if the visa is delayed.

Joe, I sort of presume there is a margin for this kind of thing, as the school seems to be sort of laggard, and maybe that is usual.

Call them if they don't answer your email.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Tue 6 Sep, 2005 09:40 am
Yesterday I almost called it quits, but then the International Relations Coordinator from my school slapped some sense into me. This past weekend and yesterday were some of the most stressed-out times I've lived but thankfully I'm starting to relax a little bit.

The plane ticket is oficially changed to Sept. 28 so I'll arrive more than a week later to the school, I hope there are no problems other than academic ones. If everything goes well, the visa tramits will begin tomorrow.

Walter, I think I forgot the maps on my junior high geographics class. But that only means one thing: I'll surely get to know Austria too!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 03:42 pm
The visa is on process now, I'm much more relaxed. I also am waiting for confirmation on the apartment. Everything seems to be falling on it's place. One deep breath and everything's better.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2005 06:34 pm
Oh good, whew!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:02 pm
It's now official, I really am going. I have the visa on my desk.

I had the apartment confirmed but some guy from the University of Bergamo thought it would be better to take the room I paid to give it to some other student, she did reserve it first but she paid later than me... this I think is a case of gender favoritism as when I spoke with two students who went to Bergamo on past semesters the female spoke of him as a kind man while the male student said the didn't do anything to help.

Anyways, I rented another apartment. The drawback is that it's a double room, it might turn to be for the better but on paper it doesn't seem like it.

I'll leave SD at 6:30am so it's rise-up early on next wednesday, I'll make a scale on Atlanta and I will spend some lovely 5 hours getting to know the airport there then I'll get on the plane that'll take me to Milan.

As of right now I'm 50% excited, 50% scared.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 08:39 pm
Hah, I once spent five hours at the Milan airport...

I'm female but I agree as far as I know on your take on the apartment thing, but, whatever, you may like the new one.

So, you are going on Tuesday?

Keep in touch when you can..
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Sat 24 Sep, 2005 12:58 am
JoeFX wrote:
It's now official, I really am going. I have the visa on my desk.

I had the apartment confirmed but some guy from the University of Bergamo thought it would be better to take the room I paid to give it to some other student, she did reserve it first but she paid later than me... this I think is a case of gender favoritism as when I spoke with two students who went to Bergamo on past semesters the female spoke of him as a kind man while the male student said the didn't do anything to help.

Anyways, I rented another apartment. The drawback is that it's a double room, it might turn to be for the better but on paper it doesn't seem like it.

I'll leave SD at 6:30am so it's rise-up early on next wednesday, I'll make a scale on Atlanta and I will spend some lovely 5 hours getting to know the airport there then I'll get on the plane that'll take me to Milan.

As of right now I'm 50% excited, 50% scared.

All in all those are good news Very Happy
Welcome to Italy.
0 Replies