What Have YOU Sacrificed?

Baldimo

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 09:48 pm
squinney wrote:
Baldimo, no one is mis-spending soldiers money.

If you aren't aware of the problem, here are some links.

NPR NEWS

Quote:
March 15, 2005 · Forty percent of American troops in Iraq are from National Guard and Reserve units. For many, the financial sacrifices are great. Many lose the salaries they were earning in the private sector, and their families are struggling to pay bills.

Support from the military can be elusive, because these soldiers are not part of a base community where family support groups are ready-made. Private groups like the nonprofit USA Cares, which is run by a retired major general, have sprung up to help cover the money gap, and some members of Congress have proposed incentives and subsidies to cover the loss of income.

Guard, Reserve Service Takes High Financial Toll

Quote:
Unfortunately, many National Guard and Reservists' families must also suffer a loss in income. When a National Guardsman or Reservist is called up to active duty, their civilian job - and civilian salary - are placed on hiatus and they begin receiving a military pay for their service, an amount which is often significantly less than their civilian salary.

This "pay gap" forces National Guard and Reservists' families to pinch to make ends meet. Grocery budgets are trimmed, rent or mortgage payments are paid late, credit cards are run up, others important purchases are postponed. Many family members of Reservists are forced to work overtime, dip into savings, borrow, or even go on welfare to pay the bills.

Congressman Tom Lantos Homepage

Considering that I'm leaving for deployment in about a month I think I know what I'm talking about. Those that do see a drop in income are those that make a lot more money in the civilian world then they do in the military.

They still receive the following in pay.

Basic pay (based on rank and time in service)
BAH (based on where you live)
Substance (officers do not receive and this is for food)
Family separation pay
Combat pay (those in a war zone)
Flight pay (if you are a pilot or flight crew)
Travel pay
Hazardous Duty pay

These are just a few of the different types of monies received by military service members.

Quote:
Quote:
Injured Reserves See Lost Pay, Lack of Treatment
by Howard Berkes

Morning Edition, February 22, 2005 · According to a Government Accountability Office report, hundreds of injured Army reservists and National Guard members -- including many wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan -- have lost medical care and pay because they were dropped from active duty status.

Why were they dropped from active duty service? Most of the time it is because they are well enough to go home and no longer need to receive full medical attention. If they are hurt in combat then they still receive VA attention, which is the same as regular military health care.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 04:26 am
Considering the people discussed in the articles have ALREADY been deployed, I think they know what they are talking about.

Gawd, Baldimo. These people are being called up, kept longer, and for less pay and You want to deny them assistance from the public? They shouldn't be part of our concern?
0 Replies