HUGE DILLEMA!

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:15 pm
What color curtains should I get?

My new living room and bedroom is a dark red/maroon, with white trim(ceiling/windows).

I'm going to have a black living room set, and I definitely won't like white curtains. Should I just get maroon curtains, or are there any other colors I should consider?

And if you have any other ideas for me to make my new pad medium-pimpin', just let me know. I want to go shopping.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,888 • Replies: 72
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
black furniture, red walls & white trim...
maybe a tan?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:19 pm
What about something like this?
http://www.adriennechinn.co.uk/images/curtains.JPG

Definitely go with maroon and another color curtains...not solid maroon. I am leaning toward golds. I know this isn't quite maroon but...golds and like shewolf said, tans, creams...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:20 pm
let me see if i can find the color i am talking about before throwing it out there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:21 pm
Can you paint the trim black? I think that white is going to be loud.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:29 pm
I was thinking tan, possible some kind of woven looking cloth with other color bits in it, including maybe some black.
It's tricky matching reds...

Me, rather than be slightly off with the reds, making it look like a mistake, I'd go for something close but different, say, orange, or lime.. I mean as color bits, not whole curtains being that color.

Back to see what I can find.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:30 pm
The white looks ok. I actually painted the two rooms over the last couple of days. Was going to paint the trim a darker beige, but for one time was an issue, and two it looks pretty good the way it is. I don't know if I'd like black trim.

I like the idea of having another color thrown in the maroon curtain.

I saw a bamboo rug yesterday that was also maroon. That may be too much...

I'm going to drag a woman friend to go shopping with me.
0 Replies

barefootTia

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:32 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
black furniture, red walls & white trim...
maybe a tan?

I agree, maybe something in the tan family like a light rose beige
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:32 pm
http://catless.ncl.ac.uk/Lindsay/swatch1.html

what about the colors on this page-
the Goldenrod versions?
( insert bad penis joke here )
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:37 pm
if you like dark bold colors like black and maroon, the best colors to throw in that mix that wont over power the senses are tans, greys or even light golds like bella suggested..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:41 pm
a light olive. I have my office that way. Maroon bookcases , maple trim and tiger maple(light) desk and frames for pix and light greyish olive tongue and groove wood walls.
My wife is a genius at color. Her schools motto is
A light, a bright, and a dark, no more, no less.
I like maroon, youve got good taste for a strait dude.
0 Replies

ossobuco

I was thinking tan, possible some kind of woven looking cloth with other color bits in it, including maybe some black.
It's tricky matching reds...

Me, rather than be slightly off with the reds, making it look like a mistake, I'd go for something close but different, say, orange, or lime.. I mean as color bits, not whole curtains being that color.

Back to see what I can find.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/8700/stripe0nf.png
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/64/stripe24hy.png
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/6158/stripes2fh.png
http://img325.imageshack.us/img325/7635/pillow0qc.png

Like any of these?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:42 pm
http://www.donghia.com/textiles/patterns/

The Donghia site has a lot of choices... not that you'll get drapes made with their fabric, but it could give you ideas...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:44 pm
[whine]Can I just complain about the thread title? With a title of HUGE DILLEMA and Slappy as author, I hardly expected an interior decorating thread.[/whine]

Suggestion: Take your mom with you, then do the opposite of what she likes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:50 pm
This is the biggest problem in my life now, Drew...huge dillema. Huge.

You guys rock. Shewolf, the wall is similar to the firebrick color in that link.

Farmerman, I do have pretty good taste for a straight dude. I'm definitely leaning towards the meterosexual camp. I'm adding a second bathroom in my place too. Going with a green for that room. I'm going to piece by piece make this place suh-weeeeeet. Ca-chingy when I sell.

I like the grey/olive with the maroon. Like the second one down on Bella's pictures. Maybe I can find some woven curtains with that thrown in the mix. It would match the base of my coffee table(glass) too, which is a grey.

Then I have to find a rug that matches everything too. Do they sell rugs and curtains that match?

Well I'm off, and won't be able to access the net until later tomorrow, since I won't have it installed until Thursday, have to work from my old place in between appointments. Sucks.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:52 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Then I have to find a rug that matches everything too. Do they sell rugs and curtains that match?

Tell the sales person you are looking for stuff that matches. You might not find a set but you should be able to find things that go together. Good luck!!

We will miss you during the next 24 hours....
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 01:59 pm
take snap shots of your room with you.
Make sure there is a piece of furniture, or your darkest furniture , in thepicture against the wall color,
it will be easier to match colors with that in hand then by memory
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:02 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
take snap shots of your room with you.
Make sure there is a piece of furniture, or your darkest furniture , in thepicture against the wall color,
it will be easier to match colors with that in hand then by memory

Oh, the furniture against the wall thing is a good idea...that way you get a snapshot of all the colors in the room.

I am taking in all this because soon, I too will be redecorating my living room.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 02:02 pm
Bamboo shades.
0 Replies