Cerumen impaction. Say WHAT?! Speak-UP!!!!

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:24 pm
Quote:
Cerumen impaction is a condition in which earwax has become tightly packed in the external ear canal to the point that the canal is blocked.

Description

Cerumen impaction develops when earwax accumulates in the inner part of the ear canal and blocks the eardrum. It affects between 2%-6% of the general population in the United States. Impaction does not happen under normal circumstances because cerumen is produced by glands in the outer part of the ear canal; it is not produced in the inner part. The cerumen traps sand or dust particles before they reach the ear drum. It also protects the outer part of the ear canal because it repels water. The slow movement of the outer layer of skin of the ear canal carries cerumen toward the outer opening of the ear. As the older cerumen reaches the opening of the ear, it dries out and falls away.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,149 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:31 pm
Second time in three years.. and two ears!!

I have been deaf in one ear for nearly a week. Yesterday I just managed to sort of dissolve/scrape enough disgusting black-brown muck out of my right ear to HEAR with it again!!

Not as bad as two years ago when my left ear blocked up. I already have hearing loss in the right one - I was effectively deaf for about a week.

Something to look forward to as I get older?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:38 pm
It just gives you a bit of the taste of things to come. Getting older can involve your ears ringing all the time on top of not hearing and so having to say what? a lot of the time.

Or not. But then, something else new and exciting will happen.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:44 pm
Not necessarily, Mr. Stillwater. I doubt that it is age related at all, although it could be for some. Both of my children have had Cerumen Impaction troubles since they were both small and still do today, and they are 25 and 22. Sad

I used to take them into the doctor and have their ears "flushed" about once a year or when they told me they could feel the plugging up effect started to interfere with their hearing. Now, they pretty much use a combination of warmed oil, hydrogen peroxide and a small little ball syringe to do their own flushing.

For whatever reason (the doc didn't even know) some peoples ear wax flows in the natural outward movement and others, like you and my kids, the wax flows inward.

It's an annoying pain in the butt quirk, but I don't think there is anything that can actually prevent it from happening over and over. Sad
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:52 pm
I don't think he thought that, Lady, more that he got a clue of how being deaf can feel.
0 Replies

Lady J

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 10:54 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I don't think he thought that, Lady, more that he got a clue of how being deaf can feel.

Mybad. Smile Listen to osso, Mr. Stillwater and ignore that man behind the curtain!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:18 pm
I was just going to say, Cerulean blue?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:35 am
ossobuco wrote:
I was just going to say, Cerulean blue?

Better than Soylent Green!

Hey, I emphasise BIG TIME with the hearing impaired - just don't plan on being one! I still have, like.... two decades to explain to my girls just how much better my collection of vintage Blue Note jazz is than today's pop!!*

*qualification - just saw a 'Jessica Simpson' singing up a storm in the minimum amount of clothing possible - you would think that those royalties would let her dress in a bit more than a skimpy bikini, wouldn't cha?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 03:43 am
Have you been pouring dust in yer ears?
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:00 am
dlowan wrote:
Have you been pouring dust in yer ears?

What?? WHAT!?! Speak up young lady!!
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 02:41 am
Well....... sh*t!!

Left ear BLOCKED!!

Deaf!*

AGAIN!!

*hearing impaired.... sorry to all those A2Kers I may have offended. My bad!
0 Replies