Why Do Higher Gas Prices Anger You?

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 03:49 pm
nimh: "Bottled water is a pathetic trend."

Americans have been spoiled for too long; we've been buying gas for less than $4.00 gallon (regular) forever while people living in poorer countries have been paying more for years. As nimh has stated, many are willing to pay over $4/gallon for water - water that isn't any more bacteria-free or "better taste" than tap water in many cases. We get most of our water from the Hetch-Hetchy water system sourced from the Sierra Nevada mountains. Can't get any more pure than that!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:21 pm
That's true -- we have a reverse osmosis purifier built into the kitchen sink for drinking water. I ordered a testing device like the Culligan man uses when he changes the filter. The tap water was in the same range of pureness as the filtered water. Of course, that's discounting the taste of the ammonia and/or chlorine they still add to the water. That's what makes it taste funny and I know it ruins a pot of coffee -- I've accidentally used it and the coffee did not taste nearly as good. It's also very hard water in our area so we have a water softener.

It isn't just bottled water we waste money on -- how much do you think a person consistently going into Starbucks for coffee spends during the month?
I'm betting more than they spend on gas.

However, it is market based and Americans consume more gas in this car infatuated society so it stands the price should be lower. It's the buy more, pay less consumer market. I don't buy the little containers of Coffeemate, for instance. You pay more for the container than the contents -- in fact, you're renting the container!

The answer is, get a more fuel efficient automobile. I'm not driving a hybrid but my Matrix still gets awfully good millage on the freeway.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:22 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
That's true -- we have a reverse osmosis purifier built into the kitchen sink for drinking water. I ordered a testing device like the Culligan man uses when he changes the filter. The tap water was in the same range of pureness as the filtered water. Of course, that's discounting the taste of the ammonia and/or chlorine they still add to the water. That's what makes it taste funny and I know it ruins a pot of coffee -- I've accidentally used it and the coffee did not taste nearly as good. It's also very hard water in our area so we have a water softener.

It isn't just bottled water we waste money on -- how much do you think a person consistently going into Starbucks for coffee spends during the month?
I'm betting more than they spend on gas.

However, it is market based and Americans consume more gas in this car infatuated society so it stands the price should be lower. It's the buy more, pay less consumer market. I don't buy the little containers of Coffeemate, for instance. You pay more for the container than the contents -- in fact, you're renting the container!

The answer is, get a more fuel efficient automobile. I'm not driving a hybrid but my Matrix still gets awfully good millage on the freeway.

My ride gets great gas mileage!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/245/524880204_3bfb7d8ade.jpg?v=0

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:24 pm
If you wanna complain about high prices,then look at what you pay for ink for your printer.

Take what you pay for one cartridge of ink,then convert that into per gallon of ink.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:25 pm
dangit

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/245/524880204_3bfb7d8ade.jpg

There we go

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:26 pm
Your link malfunctioned -- I'll trying cut and paste in the browser.

The difference in gas is, of course, the more the driver's use, the more the price goes up. You can't stockpile it and buy a large quantity to use later when the price goes down. If you do have a gas tank that large, it's a gas guzzler anyway.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:27 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If you wanna complain about high prices,then look at what you pay for ink for your printer.

Take what you pay for one cartridge of ink,then convert that into per gallon of ink.

'cept the printer isn't a necessity of life for many people, whereas a car is. Comparing the two doesn't really give a true picture of 'cost.'

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
Oh, print cartridges, yes. That's why printers are so cheap -- 'cause they hit you up for the cartridges. I figure you pay more for copying than paying by-the-sheet at Kinko's. At least Staples gives a $ 3.00 credit for old cartridges! The color cartridges are just simply a real waste of money.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:28 pm
Oh, I could go without a car before I'd go without a PC and a printer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:30 pm
Maybe invest in a laser printer - you can get them for $50 on Craigslist, and no messy ink cartridges to deal with.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:35 pm
There are toner cartridges in laser printers as far as I know, but on average per print, cheaper copies.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:36 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
There are toner cartridges in laser printers as far as I know, but on average per print, cheaper copies.

Yeah. If you are only interested in black and white, it's the way to go.

Color... that's expensive all around!

I don't print things out, because I don't like to waste trees.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:42 pm
I try not to have to print anything out -- after all, computers were suppose to decrease the paper use. I think it increased it because of the fear of not having a hard copy on file. The IRS still insists on paper trails.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:44 pm
not contributed to this thread for a while

the assumption is that I'm angered by higher gasoline prices

well I'm not

the higher they go the more I bike it

in fact the higher they go the more i like it. Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:47 pm
You mean to tell me one doesn't get much exercise pushing a gas peddle, a brake and turning a steering wheel? Of course, this is part of the reason we are known as the Fat Nation.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:48 pm
The higher gas prices lead to higher prices for goods on the shelf. Other then that, it doesn't really impact my life too much.

What kind of bike do you ride, Steve?

LW, it's nice to see you posting!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:52 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
You mean to tell me one doesn't get much exercise pushing a gas peddle, a brake and turning a steering wheel?...
you would if you did it all at the same time...getting out of the wreck if nothing else
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:56 pm
Higher gas prices don't bother us, because 1) we don't drive that much (about 5,000 miles per year for me), and 2) my gas bill will be less than $1k/year (not my major expense).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 05:10 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

What kind of bike do you ride, Steve?
Cycloptichorn
depends. I use a Brompton folding bike if I'm going by bike plus car or plane or train. Kettler aluminium framed bike for serious distances.

http://www.kettler.co.uk/productList.aspx?showSpan5=block&GROUP1=AB&DESC1=Aluminium+Bikes&GROUP2=AB2&DESC2=Leisure&GRPRECNUM=1882
http://www.bromptonbicycle.co.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=bikerange.bikerange
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2008 12:58 pm
So, is everyone still okay with prices at the pump?

Drill Baby Drill?