Thankyou in your language

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 11:10 pm
I was collecting thankyous and so far can spell and pronounce Thankyou in 30 languages.

Can you help me with more?

I know all the Scandinavian ones of course, also the Western European, Polish, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, polish, Czech, Croatian, Slovenian etc etc etc but if anyone can help me with more, i'd be grateful.... I thank you even if I have already "collected" your one :-)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,267 • Replies: 41
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 03:23 am
Latvian -- Paldies (stress on the last syllable).
0 Replies

sterika

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 04:28 am
Thai ==> Khob koun kha (if the speaker is female)
Khob koun krap (if the speaker is male)
0 Replies

Raphillon

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 05:43 am
Italian: Grazie
Latin: Gratia tibi
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 07:07 am
Thanks... I had the Italian, but the others were new... I have a "Thai Hill Tribes" phrase book and it was saying that instead of ThankYou, presents were given instead.... but I haven't yet added a Thai phrase book to my collection (I mean one that would be useful in any town/city in Thailand.

I was interested to see the Latin... i noticed there is a lot of Latin on this forum :-)

Anyway thanks, gracies, gracias, obrigada, grazie, merci etc.... please keep them coming :-)
0 Replies

deodatus

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
English: Thank you
Romanian: Multumesc

There is also "Mersi" which is, let's say, more personal (not so polite).
0 Replies

rhythm synergy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:59 am
Salamat - filipino thank you
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 11:03 am
Hawaiian: Mahalo.
0 Replies

sterika

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 02:12 pm
Be cautious with the so call "Thai Hill Tribe" phrase book. I haven't seen it but I could say with 90% certainty that it's rubbish. There are severals hill tribes in thailand which have not only differents costumes but also languages. And about the present, consideration and common sense would tell you what to do. I have seen a Thai guide book with some "useful" prases, they are rude words comparable to instead of "she" it use the word "bitch" and "bastard" for "he". People who wrote them are in general ignorant, as soon as they add a gramm of knowledge to their heads they think that they know all.
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 03:00 am
sterika wrote:
Be cautious with the so call "Thai Hill Tribe" phrase book. I haven't seen it but I could say with 90% certainty that it's rubbish. There are severals hill tribes in thailand which have not only differents costumes but also languages. And about the present, consideration and common sense would tell you what to do. I have seen a Thai guide book with some "useful" prases, they are rude words comparable to instead of "she" it use the word "bitch" and "bastard" for "he". People who wrote them are in general ignorant, as soon as they add a gramm of knowledge to their heads they think that they know all.

Wow... this was a "Lonely Planet" guide so I would think it was probably more reliable than many... It saddens me to feel that people would abuse people's desire to learn languages in such a way!!

Thank for the hawaiian... that was new... :-)

Am not sure how to pronounce multumesc, although I have a few romanian penpals... i hope to be in romania briefly either next year or 2007 :-) I didn;t know about mersi... although i know there are many similarities between romanian and Franch (although Romanian is way way better of course Razz )
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 03:21 am
EngelskJente: You might be interested in learning that in Hawaiian there is no accepted phrase or word for "you're welcome." The custom, apparently, used to be to just accept the 'thanks' with a smile. Since the coming of the white man to the Islands, it has become polite to say something when someone says "Mahalo." So some Hawaiians will answer with "Aloha" (which, literally, means 'love') or, more recently, "a'ole pilikia" which is a literal translation of "no problem."
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 04:23 am
mahalo!

I thought aloha meant hello and goodbye... didnt know it literally meant "love" :-)

I think i need to find a phrase book and start learning Hawaiian, it looks very interesting :-)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 04:36 am
Aloha is commonly used to say both hello and goodbye. But its literal meaning is love. Hawaiians will speak of someone as having 'a lot of aloha', meaning he is a good and caring person.

There's a person who posts infrequently now on this forum, screen name Pueo (Hawaiian for Owl) who is a native Hawaiian and knows the language much, much better than I do. If you're interested in learning, you might try and get his attention (somehow).
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 05:01 am
0 Replies

sterika

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:12 am
Hebrew == Toda
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 07:48 am
Japanese -- domo arrogato (but you probably knew that)

Arabic -- Shukren (and you probably knew that, too)
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 08:08 am
THANKYOU Sterika!!! Once, long ago I knew the Hebrew and then totally forgot.... I knew that there were a couple out of my 30 that I had forgotten.... Hebrew being one... now what WAS that other language?

Yes, thankyou Andrew, I knew both arigato and shukran, but I am appreciative of all input, as mixed in with the ones I knew, are several that I didn't :-)

What I do not know however, is to write either of those (or xie xie, efkharista and the Thai word) in their own scripts... I did know how to write the Russian one though.... **must get art degree and write in other scripts without writing something wrong and offending** Razz
0 Replies

sterika

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:16 pm
Thai ==> Khob koun kha (if the speaker is female)
ขอบคุณคะ
Khob koun krap (if the speaker is male) ขอบคุณครับ
Would you like the Hebrew as well ?
0 Replies

gavinjin

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 11:59 pm
Chinese: 谢谢
In pinyin:xiexie
0 Replies

EngelskJente

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2005 07:23 am
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OOh.. yes please.. thanks

Am very happy that I have many different fonts in this computer... in our old one we could only get latin and cyrillic characters

am creating a wordpad document with the special character "thankyou"s
0 Replies