Murder: 90 days in jail

old europe

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:14 pm
Quote:
Medic says marines murdered Iraqi

A Navy medic has told his court-martial in California how US marines seized an Iraqi civilian, threw him into a hole and shot him in the head 10 times.

US Petty Officer Melson J Bacos has agreed a plea bargain to avoid murder charges and will testify against seven marines in later hearings.

The medic said the incident in the western Iraqi town of Hamdaniya in April made him "sick to my stomach".

The case is one of several in which US troops are accused of killing Iraqis.

'I knew it was wrong'

Petty Officer 3rd Class Bacos admitted kidnapping, conspiracy to kidnap and conspiracy to file a false statement as part of the plea bargain at the court-martial in Camp Pendleton, southern California.

Petty Officer Bacos said he was on patrol with the marine squad who were looking for an insurgent - Saleh Gowad - who had been captured three times but released.

Petty Officer Bacos said the marines were angry the insurgent had been freed and, frustrated at not finding him, instead seized civilian Hashim Awad from his home.

The medic said Mr Awad, 52, was put in a hole.

He testified: "I knew that we were doing something wrong. I tried saying something, sir."

But he said a marine told him to "quit being a pussy".

Petty Officer Bacos said squad leader Sgt Lawrence Hutchins III then fired three shots into Mr Awad's head followed by at least seven more rounds to the head from Cpl Trent Thomas.

Petty Officer Bacos said Sgt Hutchins called command for permission to fire on a man he had seen digging a hole.

Prosecutors say an AK-47 assault rifle, bullets and a shovel were placed next to Mr Awad's body to make it appear as if he were trying to plant a roadside bomb.

Seven marines are at various stages of the military justice process over the kidnap and murder.

Two marines - John Jodka and Marshall Magincalda - have both already pleaded not guilty to murder.

The US military has said the death penalty will not be sought against any of the marines.

Presiding judge Col Steve Folsom said Petty Officer Bacos could face a life sentence if found guilty but media reports have said it could be as little as 12 months.

Another case investigated. More soldiers brought to trial. Good. But while I'm glad that death penalty will not be sought, I hope those responsible don't get away with a sentence as ridiculous as a year in jail for this kind of murder.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 06:52 pm
And they shouldn't get the death penalty because...?????

Gees Louise.
0 Replies

latisha

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 08:52 am
Well we're becoming the same wouldn't you say? But of course you know about the double standard right?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:06 am
Debra Law:

Quote:
Are you suggesting that beating these men to death was acceptable depending on the circumstances? If so, there is NO MERIT to your suggestion.

McG? Woiyo?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 09:27 am
I think that one of the main problems of lax sentences for murderers is the signal this is sending to the world in general.

You may argue that those are just isolated cases. Then again, it's isolated cases that make the news and form opinions of people worldwide. Just think about Daniel Pearl, and the reactions to that.

And I just don't see a difference between Daniel and Dilawar.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2006 02:59 am
bm

(How did I miss this thread before?)
0 Replies