Murder: 90 days in jail

mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:18 pm
old europe wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Debra Law said
Quote:
We demand that the enemy comply with the Geneva Convention with respect to treatment of our captured soldiers--and at the same time--we claim the Geneva Convention does NOT apply to our treatment of people we take captive

Actually,if you take the time to actually READ the Geneva Convention,you will see that insurgents,guerilla's,and "freedom fighters" are NOT protected by the GC.
The GC is quite specific about who is protected and who is not protecte4d by it.
The insurgents or guerilla's are NOT covered.

Yeah, but however you want to interprete it, it doesn't allow for innocent civilians to be tortured to death, does it?

No,it does not!!!
What those soldiers did is appalling and they should have been punished more then they were.
BUT,did we get all the facts?
Did those soldiers make deals with the prosecutor?
Did they roll over on their buddies?
Did they also get BCD's or dishonorable discharges?
The article doesnt say,so its possible that we didnt get the whole story.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:20 pm
In this case, I think it's neither the right thing nor the legal thing....
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:20 pm
DrewDad wrote:
Doing the "right" thing and doing the "legal" thing are two separate issues.

So,are you in favor of doing the "right" thing or the "legal" thing??
And,does that apply to all circumstances and situations?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 10:59 pm
mysteryman wrote:
DrewDad wrote:
Doing the "right" thing and doing the "legal" thing are two separate issues.

So,are you in favor of doing the "right" thing or the "legal" thing??
And,does that apply to all circumstances and situations?

In the case of torture, the right thing is to avoid it, as it taints both the desired intelligence and the "soldiers" attempting to garner the intelligence.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 27 Aug, 2005 11:57 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Debra Law said
Quote:
We demand that the enemy comply with the Geneva Convention with respect to treatment of our captured soldiers--and at the same time--we claim the Geneva Convention does NOT apply to our treatment of people we take captive

Actually,if you take the time to actually READ the Geneva Convention,you will see that insurgents,guerilla's,and "freedom fighters" are NOT protected by the GC.
The GC is quite specific about who is protected and who is not protecte4d by it.

But I believe civilians are!
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:13 am
The victim was a civilian taxi driver, detained because his fare happened to be on a wanted list. He was kept in detention -- and maltreated -- even after it was discovered and acknowledged that he was a victim of circumstance. (No evidence that the driver and the suspect had any connection except as driver and passenger.) The GC certainly does speak to the treatment of civilians in a war zone.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 02:13 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Debra Law said
Quote:

Mysteryman:

You are confused. It appears that you ought to read the Third and Fourth Geneva Conventions to understand the context and application to treatment of detainees.

The Third Geneva Convention (GCIII) concerns the treatment of POWs; the Fourth Geneva Convention (GCIV) concerns the treatment of all others.

Even if you deny POW status to insurgents or guerillas, they are still human beings entitled to humane conditions of detention or internment. People have to fall into one category or another--military or civilian. If GCIII doesn't apply, then CGIV does.

See text of CGIV:
http://wikisource.org/wiki/Fourth_Geneva_Convention

Article 2
In addition to the provisions which shall be implemented in peace-time, the present Convention shall apply to all cases of declared war or of any other armed conflict which may arise between two or more of the High Contracting Parties, even if the state of war is not recognized by one of them.

The Convention shall also apply to all cases of partial or total occupation of the territory of a High Contracting Party, even if the said occupation meets with no armed resistance.

[NOTE: Our armed forces are occupying parts of both Afghanistan and Iraq. Therefore, the Convention applies.]

Article 4
Persons protected by the Convention are those who, at a given moment and in any manner whatsoever, find themselves, in case of a conflict or occupation, in the hands of a Party to the conflict or Occupying Power of which they are not nationals.

Nationals of a State which is not bound by the Convention are not protected by it. Nationals of a neutral State who find themselves in the territory of a belligerent State, and nationals of a co-belligerent State, shall not be regarded as protected persons while the State of which they are nationals has normal diplomatic representation in the State in whose hands they are.

[NOTE: Both Afghanistan and Iraq are bound by the Convention. Accordingly, their nationals are protected by the Convention. It makes no difference if the hostile detainee is a member of the al Qaeda or an Iraqi resistance fighter--we look to their nationality, not to their group memberships to determine if they are entitled to protected person status under Article 4. But see Article 13 which extends protection to the ENTIRE POPULATIONS of the countries in conflict. Afghani and Iraqi nationals and all persons populating the countries of Afghanistan and Iraq are entitled to protected person status.]

The provisions of Part II are, however, wider in application, as defined in Article 13.

Article 5
Where in the territory of a Party to the conflict, the latter is satisfied that an individual protected person is definitely suspected of or engaged in activities hostile to the security of the State, such individual person shall not be entitled to claim such rights and privileges under the present Convention as would, if exercised in the favour of such individual person, be prejudicial to the security of such State.

Where in occupied territory an individual protected person is detained as a spy or saboteur, or as a person under definite suspicion of activity hostile to the security of the Occupying Power, such person shall, in those cases where absolute military security so requires, be regarded as having forfeited rights of communication under the present Convention.

[NOTE: Non-military detainees do not forfeit their rights under the Convention by engaging in hostile acts. ONLY when ABSOLUTE military security so requires, these hostile detainees forfeit their rights of communication set forth in the Convention--but that one and only forfeiture is limited to communicating.]

In each case, such persons shall nevertheless be treated with humanity and, in case of trial, shall not be deprived of the rights of fair and regular trial prescribed by the present Convention. They shall also be granted the full rights and privileges of a protected person under the present Convention at the earliest date consistent with the security of the State or Occupying Power, as the case may be.

Article 13
The provisions of Part II cover the whole of the populations of the countries in conflict, without any adverse distinction based, in particular, on race, nationality, religion or political opinion, and are intended to alleviate the sufferings caused by war.

Article 27
Protected persons are entitled, in all circumstances, to respect for their persons, their honour, their family rights, their religious convictions and practices, and their manners and customs. They shall at all times be humanely treated, and shall be protected especially against all acts of violence or threats thereof and against insults and public curiosity. . . .

Article 29
The Party to the conflict in whose hands protected persons may be, is responsible for the treatment accorded to them by its agents, irrespective of any individual responsibility which may be incurred.

[NOTE: The UNITED STATES is responsible for the treatment of detainees.]

Article 31
No physical or moral coercion shall be exercised against protected persons, in particular to obtain information from them or from third parties.

Article 32
The High Contracting Parties specifically agree that each of them is prohibited from taking any measure of such a character as to cause the physical suffering or extermination of protected persons in their hands. This prohibition applies not only to murder, torture, corporal punishments, mutilation and medical or scientific experiments not necessitated by the medical treatment of a protected person, but also to any other measures of brutality whether applied by civilian or military agents.

Article 33
No protected person may be punished for an offence he or she has not personally committed. Collective penalties and likewise all measures of intimidation or of terrorism are prohibited. . . .

Article 146
The High Contracting Parties undertake to enact any legislation necessary to provide effective penal sanctions for persons committing, or ordering to be committed, any of the grave breaches of the present Convention defined in the following Article.

Each High Contracting Party shall be under the obligation to search for persons alleged to have committed, or to have ordered to be committed, such grave breaches, and shall bring such persons, regardless of their nationality, before its own courts. It may also, if it prefers, and in accordance with the provisions of its own legislation, hand such persons over for trial to another High Contracting Party concerned, provided such High Contracting Party has made out a prima facie case. . . .

Article 147
Grave breaches to which the preceding Article relates shall be those involving any of the following acts, if committed against persons or property protected by the present Convention: wilful killing, torture or inhuman treatment, including biological experiments, wilfully causing great suffering or serious injury to body or health, unlawful deportation or transfer or unlawful confinement of a protected person, compelling a protected person to serve in the forces of a hostile Power, or wilfully depriving a protected person of the rights of fair and regular trial prescribed in the present Convention, taking of hostages and extensive destruction and appropriation of property, not justified by military necessity and carried out unlawfully and wantonly.

Concerning the inhumane, torturous treatment of two Afghani nationals that resulted in their deaths (murders), has the United States complied with GCIV by providing EFFECTIVE PENAL SANCTIONS: 90 days in jail? 60 days in jail? a reduction in rank?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 04:57 pm
It is somehow dissappointing to see that the thread about Cindy Sheehan has meanwhile reached page 28, while this thread seems about to die at page 7...

I guess that's symptomatic for how Americans are perceived in the world: easy to distract by media-hyped non-events, but absolutely ignorant when it comes to what's going on in the world, in their name.

How come these things get so much attention? Non-events like Schiavo or Sheehan or Holloway, to name just a few.

But maybe it's helpful to illustrate the whole dilemma. Just as Americans focus on one specific case, one specific person, this probably happens in countries around the world as well. I reckon that millions around the world are just as happy to focus on those "few" cases of torture and murder that go virtually without penalty in order to point out that the United States are indeed the big, evil empire.

It would help if anybody would bother to do something about it. Anybody remember all that "hearts and minds" stuff? Sounds nice. Would be nicer if it was actually practised.

I think the only thing the United States are winning by handling these issues like they are doing is more hate.

I'm very sorry about this.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 05:36 pm
<nods at Old Europe>
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:32 pm
Me too.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 30 Aug, 2005 08:48 pm
Most Americans have an astonishingly short attention span. Any new non-event can distract us immediately and completely. I think it's a symptom of a kind of collective ADD.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:03 am
Quote:
Soldier Gets 75 Days in Afghan Abuse Case

The Associated Press
Tuesday, August 30, 2005; 11:17 PM

EL PASO, Texas -- An Army reservist was sentenced Tuesday to 75 days in prison, a reduction in rank and a bad conduct discharge after admitting that he assaulted a prisoner in Afghanistan.

Sgt. Anthony M. Morden was among five soldiers accused of mistreating the prisoner, known as Dilawar. Autopsy records show Dilawar's legs were so badly beaten that they would have been amputated had he lived.

"I never struck a detainee for fun or just to cause him pain," Morden told the judge. "I gave in to the stress I was feeling at that moment and made a terrible decision."

[...]

Lawyers for former Pfc. Willie V. Brand, who worked with Morden at Bagram, argued that he was only doing what he was taught and what soldiers senior to him were doing. Brand earlier this month was convicted and reduced in rank but escaped jail time.

Morden's parents appeared as character witnesses for their son. They said in a telephone interview with the newspaper that his punishment was unfair, noting light sentences given to some of the others convicted of similar charges in the same incidents.

"Those (lighter sentences) were a message to the judge that the proper punishment for any of these charges was a lot less," David Morden, the soldier's father, told the newspaper. "Obviously, I think that was a very unfair punishment to my son. There is inconsistency in the military justice system."

The article says that a charge of maltreatment was dropped, where Morden could have faced up to six months in prison and six months in pay deductions.

Somebody died, but a charge of maltreatment was dropped. And his daddy thinks that the punishment was too harsh.

Inconsistency in the military justice system? You bet!
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:02 am
I definitely think he should have gotten more than 75 days, my goodness. But I would be even happier if I could see some of those a bit higher up charged.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:26 am
That's the point. Because it was either those soldiers who had the idea of treating their prisoners in a way that led to their death. Then the soldiers would be responsible, and should be sentenced accordingly.

Or they were "only doing what they were taught". Then the somebody who taught them to torture their prisoners should be put to trial.

I personally think that the situation has deteriorated into a climate were soldiers might even think it is their duty to torture those in their custody. The incessant claims that "the Geneva Conventions do not apply", that special "interrogation methods" are acceptable or desirable, that detainees are no prisoners of war but something inferior, "enemy combatants", the pressure to "extract" information...

I really believe Morden when he says "I gave in to the stress I was feeling at that moment". Doesn't make it any better, though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:30 am
I completely agree with that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 03:42 pm
American justice.

We see.

I think it will be a long time before we forget.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:53 pm
This offends me deeply. He gave in to the stress he was feeling. That's right up there with the "it seemed like a good idea at the time" defence.

From this I can only assume that the system of military justice in the US military is corrupted. And while I acknowledge the sterling work of Major Mori USMC in defending David Hicks, my overwhelming impression is that the US military justice system is, like the Australian Defence Force justice system, hermetically sealed.

Turning for a moment to sentencing philosphies in civilian courts. I won't go on about it because it's reasonably complex but two main purposes of sentencing concern specific and general deterrence.

Specific deterrence is about the individual. Will this soldier do it again? Has this been sufficient deterrence to him?

General deterrence is about the rest. Will this sentence deter another soldier from doing the same thing?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 07:31 pm
no
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 7 Oct, 2005 10:21 pm
Quote:
Mr. McCain, who was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War, added in closing Wednesday night: "Many of my comrades were subjected to very cruel, very inhumane and degrading treatment, a few of them even unto death. But every one of us - every single one of us - knew and took great strength from the belief that we were different from our enemies."

Yes. Finally somebody who gets it. Plus the rest of the 90 senators who want "a clear, consistent standard" on how prisoners be treated.

And even though I've started another thread on it, it really should be posted here, too:

Quote:
Senate Moves to Protect Military Prisoners Despite Veto Threat

WASHINGTON, Oct. 5 - Defying the White House, the Senate overwhelmingly agreed Wednesday to regulate the detention, interrogation and treatment of prisoners held by the American military.

The measure ignited a fierce debate among many Senate Republicans and the White House, which threatened to veto a $440 billion military spending bill if the detention amendment was tacked on, saying it would bind the president's hands in wartime. Nonetheless, the measure passed, 90 to 9, with 46 Republicans, including Bill Frist of Tennessee, the majority leader, joining 43 Democrats and one independent in favor.

More than two dozen retired senior military officers, including Colin L. Powell and John M. Shalikashvili, two former chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, endorsed the amendment, which would ban use of "cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment" against anyone in United States government custody.

It would also require all American troops to use only interrogation techniques authorized in a new Army field manual. It would not cover techniques used by the Central Intelligence Agency.

Republicans and Democrats took to the Senate floor on Wednesday in a passionate debate over the measure, which supporters said would clarify a jumble of conflicting standards and cast a new spotlight on the treatment of detainees at American prisons in Afghanistan, Iraq and Cuba. "Confusion about the rules results in abuses in the field," said Senator John McCain, an Arizona Republican and the measure's main sponsor. "We need a clear, consistent standard."

Mr. McCain, who was a prisoner of war in the Vietnam War, added in closing Wednesday night: "Many of my comrades were subjected to very cruel, very inhumane and degrading treatment, a few of them even unto death. But every one of us - every single one of us - knew and took great strength from the belief that we were different from our enemies."

Senator Lamar Alexander, a Tennessee Republican, questioned why the White House would oppose a measure that codifies military procedures and policies, and reaffirms a ban against torturing detainees. "It is time for Congress, which represents the people, to clarify and set the rules for detention and interrogation of our enemies," he said.

0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2005 11:23 am
Ridiculous sentences. The fact that some of the people on this forum with republican sympathies are guarding their condemnation surprises me. I suppose the partisanship runs deeper than I had imagined.
0 Replies