TFAH Releases New Report on Obesity - Report
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 583 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:46 pm
Yup, corn feed Americans are just getting bigger. Twenty or so years ago when I was in high school there was one obese kid in my class of 500. I recently picked up my niece from her high school and I was shocked at how many kids looked porky. To make it worse - many of the girls were wearing those tight jeans that are cut very low and it wasn't just a little baby fat rolling out the tops. Many of them needed to lose at least 30lbs before they could even be thought of as normal weight. Too much food, too much electronic entertainment and mommy or daddy drives them everywhere.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:50 pm
I was startled to discover that there is girls XXL sized clothing at Old Navy - with very young girls pulling them off the rack to try on. 10 year old girls should not be wearing larger sizes than this tired, unathletic woman in her late 40's.

It was really depressing to see.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 07:54 pm
I looked into a bit of this report earlier for someone on another discussion board and, while I can't refute their claims, the data that they base them on is a bit suspect. The CDC data that they use as the basis for many of their claims and rankings was from random phone surveys done in one or two cities in each state and wasn't normalized to get a representative sampling of residents in the cities they called in or for people living outside of thiose metro areas in any way.

I don't doubt that the rate of obesity has increased but their rankings, charts and the the specific numbers need to be taken with a grain of salt.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:26 pm
You don't need charts and surveys - just take a trip to your local suburban mall and look who's sitting in the food court.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:47 pm
Soon we will all be completely immobile...
0 Replies