Is my boyfriend being too controlling or just wants to be with me?

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 07:54 am
My boyfriend has a tendency to be "possessive" in the sense that he sometimes can get a bit insecure if I don't text him too much, etc. including when I spend some time with my grown kids.
He now says if we live together he would not be that way because he would feel more secure.
Should I believe him? I don't think he is lying to me but it seems weird that he cannot feel just as secure if we live together or not.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 8 • Views: 712 • Replies: 6
Topic Closed
No top replies

Yalow

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 07:59 am
@perspectiveonthings,
Quote:
Should I believe him?

I don't think so.
0 Replies

Yalow

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 08:03 am
@perspectiveonthings,
Controlling? Indeed.
0 Replies

jespah

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 09:37 am
@perspectiveonthings,
Have you two met? https://able2know.org/topic/581224-1#post-7333923
Mame

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 10:02 am
@jespah,
I was wondering the same thing.
0 Replies

Tygerprintz

Mon 18 Sep, 2023 10:21 am
@perspectiveonthings,
He's still going to be this way even if you live together. This is a sign that he has ingrained issues with insecurity and wanting to control things at some level that are out of his control. So, take it carefully and let him know you are there for him and that you sometimes need space for yourself and your own needs. If he still continues to act possessively, let him know that is a red flag for you and you need to have him commit to getting some kind of help for it. He does need some sort of counseling to deal with this.
0 Replies

SkiptonMagnus

Mon 25 Sep, 2023 01:36 pm
@perspectiveonthings,
Have you discussed his trust issues?
The reason I ask is that I have trust issues due to infidelity in a previous relationship, and I did therapy to address them. Here’s the truth when it comes to success in a long term relationship… communication and transparency are key to making your relationship work. If you don’t trust him, or vice versa, your relationship will not last. Trust is the keystone of any relationship.
0 Replies