In computer lingo, I often find the word. Thanks, Dov
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,789 • Replies: 6
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:24 pm
My impression is that it means something is up and running, but is still being tested. It's kind of like an early draft of the real thing. Often there is nothing obvious "wrong", but the people behind the site are keeping tabs on any possible problems and fixing them as necessary.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:33 pm
sozobe has it. I'd go a bit further to say that beta means that the developers are not yet calling it a stable release. That might not sound like it's relevant but what I'm trying to illustrate is that sometimes a "release" is the quality of a beta. And somtimes a beta is more stable than a release.

It is sometimes related to warranties etc. A beta version is usually "try at your own risk", then again sometimes stable releases are too (particularly free stuff).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 05:37 pm
Here's a better answer that also covers Alpha.

Quote:
Software developers throw the terms Alpha, Beta, and Release around a lot, and the terms may not be clear to software users. Basically, Release refers to software that is finished and documented. Alpha and Beta are used for software that is not complete but is usable enough for some selected users to test and give feedback. An Alpha version is a partial version for in-house and very limited outside testing. A Beta version is a fairly complete version for selected real users to test on real data.

For example, Microsoft sent out a series of Beta versions of Windows 95 to software developers so they could develop and test programs under Windows 95 before its release. Microsoft also used the term Pre-Release for these. They were good enough to be really used for software development, but were still incomplete in some areas.

From: http://www.sil.org/computing/noc/Vol14/146software.htm
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:18 pm
Actually, beta is Greek, and is a letter in the alphabet. Beta is also half the name of "alpha beta" the supermarket chain. c.i.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 06:20 pm
Right, but "in computer lingo..." Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet, Beta the second (hence the word "alphabet" itself), and so is a way of saying first and second, or A and B.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2003 08:06 pm
and geek-speak for the first 'Release' is, of course, Gamma.
0 Replies