Why Not Kinky

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:34 pm
An invitation from Willie Nelson

Hi Folks! I'd like to invite you (deleted) for a private lunch, round of golf and music with me and my friends Kinky Friedman and Jesse Ventura in (deleted).

I am hosting this small gathering (deleted because I don't think A2K will allow info) for my friend Kinky Friedman. As you may know, Kinky is in a tough race to be the next Governor of Texas, running against several well financed candidates. I've known Kinky for many years and consider him to be one of my closest friends. Texas law makes it tough for an independent to get on the ballot. Kinky needs all the support we can give him for a campaign that's based on the merit of good ideas instead of special interest money.

I am opening my home with the hope of raising funds for Kinky and his noble cause to reclaim the capitol for us all. Tickets for this event will be on sale to the general public soon, but first we wanted to offer all of you who visit Kinky's website a chance to sign up in advance. I would personally appreciate it if you will join us for an intimate day of golf, lunch and music.

Kinky's got my endorsement, my vote and my full support and I hope we can count on yours too! It's a cause worth showing up for and a day we will all remember.

See ya on the putting green!

Sincerely,

Willie Nelson
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:40 pm
Kinky has my vote and I nominate Hightower for Lt. Gov. Whoops, I a, not in Tejas any more. Guess I will have to wait this one out with the Governator.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 05:47 pm
Buenos noches, baby.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:04 pm
Gubernatorial Candidate Kinky Friedman Hits Texas Airwaves with "Radio Free Kinky":
AUSTIN, Texas ­ May 19, 2005 ­ Gubernatorial candidate Kinky Friedman today announced "Radio Free Kinky," a series of weekly radio phone chats developed to further introduce Friedman to listeners across the state.

Beginning today, residents of Amarillo (KXIT), Houston (KILT), the Rio Grande Valley (Univision), San Antonio (KTSA) and Corpus Christi (Texas Radio) will be able to tune in to Friedman on Thursdays each week for discussions that run the gamut from curious to furious.

"The goal is to expand the weekly chats into about 20 markets," said Cleve Hattersley, campaign communications director. "Texans want to know more about Kinky; they want to know him intimately, and I can't think of a better way to do this than through talk radio."
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 06:46 pm
Kinky Friedman's website:

http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:13 am
I'm voting for Kinky (Why the hell not?), but the scmucks who think it is a vote against the so-called "Religious Right" reveal what ignorant fools they be.

Anyone who cares to try and understand what is going on rather than bending over for their prejudices will know that the so-called Religious Right loves Jews.

The bible tells those of us who believe it is sacrosanct that the jews are the Chosen Ones. We're not about to mess with the Lord. We want the Zionists to dominate the Promised Lands. We want the jews to recapture the Temple Mount. We want the jews to usher in the apocalypse so that we can either convert them or send them to the hell they deserve - Damned horned Christ Killers!

I bet Kinky doesn't appreciate how he is the focal point of Armageddon.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 01:12 am
Edgar
Edgar, I wonder what Molly Ivins thinks of Kinky? Has she written anything about him?

BBB
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 04:45 am
I don't know, BBB. I will try to research it when I get home this eve.

Finn
I don't consider the man to be against anybody, but for the state of Texas. It's pretty obvious the ones in now don't know how to get anything good accomplished. I don't know that anything could light a fire under them, even Kinky. But, it would send a message that the old ways are no longer acceptable.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 05:10 am
Quote:
...Friedman insisted to Cowan that he's "absolutely, very serious" about winning.

"We're number one in executions, and we're number 49 in funding public education," Friedman tells Cowan. "I mean, we're lagging behind Mississippi. When you're behind Mississippi, ya know you've got a problem."
Freidman chuckled at the thought.

And if you think Mississippi was offended, stick around. Friedman has made a career of shooting from the lip.

His candidacy may sound like a joke, Cowan observes. He may even look a bit like one at times. But he's counting on a change in attitude in Texas politics, summed up flatly by longtime humorist Molly Ivins this way: "On the matter of Kinky for governor, my response is, why the hell not!"

Source - Read the Rest
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 05:51 am
I watched that report on television.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:54 am
I wish I lived in Texas so I could vote for the Kinkster.

I just hope the media does not paint him to be some "dunce". I would hope that they listen to his down to earth, reasonable, and well thought out platform and report accordingly.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:00 pm
Buenos dias, mi amigo.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:22 pm
I read the "New Yorker" article, too. What I like about Kinky: He's never afraid to insult his audience. Now there's a politician I can support.

As far the poster who says that the Religious Right will support Kinky because he's Jewish, I want to puff on whatever that poster is toking on...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 02:27 pm
I'm following this with much delight.

I've been a long-time Kinky fan -- read a review of one of his new books maybe 10 years ago, read it, LOVED it, searched for and read the rest of 'em. (We have all but one as first editions.) They start out OK, get great, then taper off. (The whole oeuvre, not individual books.) His last 3-4 have not been up to par. He definitely needs a new venue, why not politics.

Met him in L.A. (book signing), he's a mensch.

I love the thing in the New Yorker article, a quote from his latest book:

Quote:

Go Kinky!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
sozobe wrote:

S'truth ya know, Houston's name in the Cherokee language was "The Big Drunk." It's kinda hard to take seriously a state in which food is prohibited on the floor of both Houses because of the danger of food fights, and the Texas Rangers have been called in on several occasions to break up "all House dunk-outs," a colorful regional term for a no-holds-barred brawl.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:49 pm
Many are called, but few are chosen...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:50 pm
so set, are you saying it's a bad thing to have a drunk for a governor or food fights in the legislature?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 03:52 pm
Well, if ya want any kinda useful work for your money--but now that you mention it, we might all be better off if politicians didn't try to do any useful work . . .

No man's life or property are safe when the legislature is in session.

-- Samuel Langhorne Clemens
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 06:08 pm
Sam Houston may have been a drunk at times, but he was also a decent man of principle. His close friendship with the Indians which everyone else was trying to exterminate is well-known. Possibly the hardest decision he ever had to make in his life was when the Texas state legislature took up the question of cessesion at the start of the Civil War. He could not bring himself to vote in favor of a measure which would separate Texas from the United States; after all, he had campaigned hard for the state's admittance to the Union. But his ties to certain pro-slavery legislators were so strong that he could not bring himself to vote against them either. In the end, he left the gallery before a vote was taken and abstained from voting.

Furthermore -- and this has nothing to do with the Kinkster -- if Travis and Bowie and Crockett and company had carried out Houston's very reasonable and explicit orders, there would have ben no slaughter at the Alamo.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:22 pm
Yep, MA, that's another story in our history books that is just backward.
0 Replies