Is not Life about more then just this?

no2rbo

Reply Mon 17 Apr, 2023 05:38 pm
I mean I'm sixteen years old, close to seventeen. I've been taking a closer look at my life from a more distant angle. I'm in school, about to enter Cegep in Quebec and just wondering about what's the meaning of all this. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this because I want it to end, I'm saying it because I thrive to fully enjoy it. Life seems much more complex than it should be. People are more worried about the small things rather than trying to enjoy the moments when they are truly free. I've always been very dedicated to making a lot of money, As a matter of fact, I'm on my path to entrepreneurship but I've understood within myself that if I'm preoccupied with money it's just because I want to be as free from any worry as I could. I dream of visiting the world, learning about different cultures, spending time alone with nature and just growing to become my best self. Yet here I am, thinking of all the studies I have to go through (i'm really not fit for school yet that's something my parents won't accept), how I'll buy a house and maintain a good life. I don't know it just feels overwhelming, it's become hard to live a simple life.

jespah

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 05:31 am
@no2rbo,
Have you ever heard the joke/story - how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

That's how life works. Thinking about everything you will have to do in the future is overwhelming. Instead, just consider how your next 5 years will play out. No more, no less.

Work toward whatever goals you have for a half a decade. Every single year, reassess and move the years to the next 5, etc.

Your first 5 may be to get into a good college and set up yourself for graduate school if you find you want it. That's a decent 5 year plan at your age.

Later in life, the plan may be to get a promotion or find love or travel.

And if the plan is to start a business, get used to paying your bills on time, because lenders and credit issuers will judge you on that until your business starts to turn a profit.

PS don't tell me how you feel school is a waste of time. Just start Googling average salaries for people with Bachelor's degrees and those without. If you don't go to school, you are literally leaving tens of thousands of dollars (Canadian equivalent) on the table.

And if you think everything will be hunky dory and you won't need that money, allow me to introduce you to inflation, unexpected repairs, the cost of gasoline, rents and mortgages, medical expenses not covered by insurance, retirement costs, and more of the fun stuff that comes along with being an adult.

Oh, and those bills I talked about for getting a startup off the ground.

One thing at a time, but don't dismiss your parents concerns out of hand. They might actually have a clue.
no2rbo

Reply Tue 18 Apr, 2023 11:57 am
@jespah,
Thanks a lot, I think I needed the "5 year at a time" reminder. Smile
jespah

Reply Wed 19 Apr, 2023 11:22 am
@no2rbo,
NP. I really do work with entrepreneurs in my day job - best of luck to you!
0 Replies