1. This term is (subjective).
2. Different people have different definitions of what is considered the
left of center,
left of right,
or the middle.
3. The alignment of how each is define is always changing.
4. Even if one were to agree on the definition of what is the middle, that can also be discarded.
5. Someone can be in the defined middle on certain issues, while simultaneously being on the left or the right on some issues.
6. If someone is on the left or the right on (some) issues, by default they are not in the middle.
7. I have never came across any person who is in the so-called middle on every single issue.
8. Some people might call themselves independents.
9. But, even the term independent doesn't necessarily mean the middle.
10. Someone might be independent because their political party is not far enough to the right or not far enough to the left.
11. Some people are independents because they want to pull the democrats further to the left.
12. Some people are independents because they want to pull the republicans more to the right.