Do you celebrate your wedding anniversary every year, or can you put it off for a little while?

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 09:53 am
This may sound like a dumb question but there's reason I ask. Every year my wife feels that if we don't do something special for our anniversary then the past year has been a waste. In a few days we're going to be celebrating 13 years together and I guess she thinks money just grown on trees. No, we're not independently wealthy or have disposable funds in the bank. We struggle just like the next couple to pay bills and have a few dollars in our accounts for things that come up unexpectantly. A few weeks ago she made mention that we were going out this coming Sat for our anniversary. Here's the thing. My wife and I don't have a joint account where all money goes into. Well, technically we do for household bills but that typically stays empty for the most part until we need to pay a bill then we both transfer money into it from our own accounts. Several years ago I told my wife we needed to combine all money and get on a budget so we could work on improving our finances. She refused and didn't want to combine anything. Ok, so now with that being said when she told me we're going out for our anniversary I would assume that she was going to pay for it.

A few months ago she started complaining that we never take a vacation, excuse me, let me put it the way she said it. "You never take me anywhere." So we have planned to take a few days in July and go to Charleston, SC. That actually is around my birthday on 7/4 but I am in no ways looking at this as a birthday trip. That trip is not going to be cheap so we found a fairly cheap hotel to stay in and we're going to drive there which is about a 3 maybe 4 hour drive.

A few moments ago she walks into the bedroom and asks if we are still planning on going out to eat tomorrow. I told her who was paying for it because she picked the restaurant and from what I gather has already made reservations to some steak house in our city she found. She knows I'm not a steak eater. Not once have we gone out to eat and I've ever ordered the steak. She seemed to be upset when I told her that we just don't have the funds this weekend to do that and we could go out to eat some other time. Maybe in 2 weeks when we don't have so many bills to pay. With Easter coming up in about 10 days we've been getting two of our granddaughters dresses and things for church next week. Plus, we've arranged to have their pictures made at a studio next weekend too which again is not going to be cheap. We like to keep updated photos of these two girls hanging in our house. PLUS, right now my wife's car is sitting in the driveway that she can't drive because we had it towed home from the repair shop yestereday because she needs a new alternator and a battery and that is going to run her some $700 or $800 easily. The dealership quoted her a price of well over $1100.

I honestly do not have a problem celebrating our anniversary but I have to look at the bottom line. There's no need in spending $100+ on a dinner and then the power gets cut off next week. No lie, she told me to tell her when I pay my portion of the power bill so she can call them and make payment arrangements on the rest of the bill. If we have to not pay a bill in order to go out to eat then that makes no sense to me. Or if we got paid today and then pay bills and take what we have left to go out to eat but have no money to live off of till we get paid again then that also makes no sense to me. She literally just sent me this text.

"Don't negate our anniversary over taking pictures next week cause it's like putting our special day on the back burner. These kids/grandkids can't always come before us. If that happens then what is the point of being married?"

Trust me, I'm not putting our anniversary on the back burner, I'm just saying we can celebrate it at a later time. What's wrong with us saying the Charleston trip in July will be our anniversary trip and we go all out for that? What she doesn't know is that right now I have $750 worth of Visa gift cards in my wallet I plan to surprise her with on the Charleston trip that were mailed to me so we can afford to do more things than just walk around and sight see. Right now she's sitting in the kitchen almost to the point of tears because we can't do anything tomorrow. Our anniversary isn't until Mon. I told her we could go out to eat in a few weeks when our money looks better but to her that isn't worth a hill of beans considering our anniversary is in 3 days. She said going out to eat in a few weeks is fine but what are we doing tomorrow? Hold up, if we're putting off celebrating the anniversary until our next paychecks then no, that means we do nothing tomorrow. We're doing it in 2 weeks. If she still wants to do something tomorrow then scratch the outing in two weeks. You can't get both. If I tell her about the gift cards now then she's going to want to use them now. I know her. So when we go to Charleston we'll be on a budget again and will have to eat fast food every day or not be able to go do what we want.

Do you have to celebrate on the day for it to be special? And why can't you say "for our anniversary in April we're planning to go on a trip this summer." And I know how she thinks. If I don't post something on Facebook on Monday telling everyone it's our anniversary so she can get the acknowledgements from all our friends and family then it wasn't worth getting married. I come from a family with 6 other siblings and we knew money was tight then since dad was the only one working so we didn't make a big deal out of birthdays and things like that. Whereas in my wife's family they made a big deal out of everything. Birthdays, anniversaries, an A on a report card, etc. They think you should celebrate your birthday every year. When my birthday rolls around my wife gets upset when I tell her I just want a card and just for her to say "happy birthday" to me, that's it. Again, I was born on the 4th of July so we go uptown to see the fireworks and she thinks that's a big deal. Excuse me, our city didn't put on a massive fireworks display just for me.

Remember, her car is sitting in the driveway needing hundreds of dollars worth of work done on it to get it back on the road but she's upset we can't go out to eat tomorrow. I guess in her mind the economy is affecting everyone else but us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 638 • Replies: 5
No top replies

RPhalange

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 11:29 am
@Barry2021,
Obviously it is important to her to celebrate it on or very near your anniversary. One question on the pictures and the dresses, did you both agree to pay for this? Would you be willing to change the date of the pictures? You could move that out a few weeks just as well as move your anniversary dinner.

If that is not possible why not do something significantly less in price to celebrate your anniversary. Go out for a nice brunch, or cook her a special dinner, dress everything else up nice with candles and you serve her like she is being catered to in a nice restaurant.

There is compromise in there.
Barry2021

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 12:22 pm
@RPhalange,
We can't change the date of the pictures because we only get one of the girls every so often. Beef between the step-son and the baby momma so she only allows us to see her when she feels like it. This time she feels like it so we have to take advantage of the time we have. As far as the pictures goes we're splitting the cost of them. We're not getting the entire photo shoot but one of the packages we looked at was around $100 plus add ons if you wanted additional size prints or poses.

Maybe I'm looking at it like this. If my car was sitting in the driveway needing hundreds of dollars of work done on it my mind wouldn't be on going out to an expensive restaurant just to celebrate an anniversary. Yeah, I know some things are important to some people but I just look at the bottom line and what's ahead. Again, she wants to make payment arrangements on our power bill but spend over $100 on a meal just to celebrate/commemorate a day that only we share. We go out to eat then come home to find the power is off or non payment.

Celebrate within your means is all I'm asking for. If I would have planned and cooked her a nice meal she would have liked it but in the back of her mind she didn't get to get all dressed up and I took her for a night out on the town. I really think she wants to relive her younger days when she was always out in clubs and going to parties as a single woman.

Don't get me wrong, I want to do nice things for her but the things she wants aren't always free. She feels we should take several vacations a year just because. A guy at our church bought his fiance a brand new Range Rover for Christmas and her comment was I wish someone would do that for me.

There's a show on NEtflix called Sex Lives, I think, where this woman has it all. A nice handsome husband who is making a killing in his profession. They have a nice home, two beautiful kids and she has what someone would call the perfect life. But all she can think about is all the wide sex she had with this jerk of a guy who did nothing but break her heart. She destroyed her family trying to recapture that life with him. I'm not saying my wife is to that point but times are hard now. You've just about got to take out a small loan to purchase a carton of eggs. Again, we go out to eat tomorrow on a meal that's gonna be over $100 but come next week she's gotta apply for credit with an auto shop just to get her car fixed and make payments on it for the next couple of months. That's not logical thinking if you ask me.

But what's wrong with celebrating our anniversary in 2 weeks when we don't have as many bills to pay then and can afford to splurge a little? Nothing but to her that's not our anniversary date.
RPhalange

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 01:43 pm
@Barry2021,
“ If my car was sitting in the driveway needing hundreds of dollars of work done on it my mind wouldn't be on going out to an expensive restaurant just to celebrate an anniversary.”

Wouldn’t you think the same thing for the pictures? If you want a memory you can take a picture with your phone. Most phones have good quality. You are justifying why the pictures are affordable, but not the dinner cost. If you have the $100 for the pictures, but not the dinner, you have the option of taking pictures with the phone and using $100 to take your wife to dinner.
If you want to be honest, you cannot afford either the pictures or the dinner if you cannot pay the electric bill. But for some reason you are willing to pay $100 for pictures that are not a necessity when you have limited funds. In your own words updating for the picture cost, “Yeah, I know some things are important to some people but I just look at the bottom line and what's ahead. Again,….” Barry wants to make payment arrangements on our power bill but spend $100 on pictures that can easily be captured for free on a phone.

I cannot put a value on something for you, the same way putting value on making an anniversary special seems to be for your wife. I do not know you or your wife, but the feeling I get is that your anniversary is very special to your wife and probably the fact that is “to celebrate/commemorate a day that only we share.” Is what makes it so special to her.

Did you ask her why it was so important to get dressed up to go out for an expensive dinner? Did you ask if there was something else you could do? And why cannot she get dressed, both of you, have nice music playing make it like a nice restaurant. Just a suggestion or you can just piss and moan instead of thinking outside the box.

You two have difference of opinion of what is important, you need to have a conversation so you can compromise.
Mame

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2023 02:42 pm
@RPhalange,
I agree with pretty much everything you said. Good job.

I have another suggestion for Barry - why not use one of those pre-paid credit cards to take her out? Have you decided who's paying for the dinner? Maybe you could order in from somewhere nice and buy a bottle of wine.

It's apparently not a big deal to you (just a b'day card, e.g.) but it is to her. You've been married 13 years now so one would think you'd know that about her.

I'd rather have experiences and time with people than presents, but my husband loves gifts, so he gets lots of them. He, for his part, buys tickets to events and activities for me.

You two need to listen to what the other wants a little more, and I'm including her in this, too, because she knows who YOU are after all this time.

If she's sitting in the kitchen in near tears, go and give her a hug, Barry. She feels quite differently than you do about your anniversary and I think you need to listen up. It matters to HER; it really doesn't matter if it doesn't matter to YOU.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2023 01:14 pm
Not celebrated my wedding anniversary for 19 years.
0 Replies