What foods don't you like?

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:25 pm
PROBABLY THE MOST DISGUSTING THING I CAN THINK OF (FOODWISE) IS REALLY MUSHY BREAKFST CEREALS. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO MAKES A BOWL OF CORNFLAKES AND THEN GOES AND SHAVES AND SHOWERS IN THE AM. THEN HE COMES OUT AND EATS THE CEREAL.
JUST THINKIN ABOUT IT MAKES ME GAG.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:35 pm
Quote:
Quote:
Balut (Or "Balot") is one of the Philippines' real native culinary delicacy that is sold every where in the streets. It is simply a duck egg cooked by boiling it for not less than 20 minutes. What makes balot special is that it is not simply an egg with the white and the yoke. It actually has a half-incubated chick inside it.

Please do not go to this website if you are squimish:

http://www.filipino.com.au/categ/cuisine/balot.htm
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Wed 2 Apr, 2003 05:51 pm
i've eaten balut, just to try it. been there once, ain't going back there again.

not to pick on filipino foods, but if you give me the choice of either eating balut or bagoon (the fermented fish/crab/shrimp paste), it's balut time again.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 03:17 am
Bill
I think you posted that site somewhere else awhile back and seeing once broke my heart and grossed me out at the same time. I can't believe what some people do to animals. If you're gonna kill it, just do it quick and put it out of it's misery, none of this torture stuff.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:03 am
i'm not sure if it's torture or not. there's a large population of filipino's here, they eat that stuff all the time. the local chamorro's have taken up that habit as well. there's some other strange foods (to us westerners) that they eat here as well. in addition to the filipino's, the micronesian's, koreans, chinese, indians, pakistani's etc. have some interesting ideas on food, some i'm sure would cause a few of you to go screaming out into the night. i've found from living around this world that one shouldn't condem another's food source. one man's pet is anothers food.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:12 am
Pueo
That was a little duck in there that got boiled alive and that just bothers me like beating a monkey in the head with clubs till it dies. That stuff just gets to me.
0 Replies

darkcrystal

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:16 am
I Hokkaido the northernmost island of Japan they still eat whale. When a little village whose folk have done this for 100's of years(maybe 2 whales a year to feed the town) do it, I don't have a problem - but Commercial whaling is criminal!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:16 am
pueo wrote:
in addition to the filipino's, the micronesian's, koreans, chinese, indians, pakistani's etc. have some interesting ideas on food, some i'm sure would cause a few of you to go screaming out into the night

Not sure abt Indians !
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:22 am
Animals feel pain just like we do.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:31 am
gautam, i love indian food. they have a restaurant that just opened "the curry kabob" (i know the name needs a little work) that's just great.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:34 am
I've never tried indian food, but I always wanted too.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:37 am
darkcrystal wrote:
I Hokkaido the northernmost island of Japan they still eat whale. When a little village whose folk have done this for 100's of years(maybe 2 whales a year to feed the town) do it, I don't have a problem - but Commercial whaling is criminal!

aloha darkcrystal, thanks for stopping by. i understand that the same thing happens in alaska with the native population there. like you i feel that commercial whaling is wrong, but the indigninous populations should be allowed to continue their cultural ways.
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:41 am
gezzy, i'm not saying that you're wrong. not at all. just trying to point out different "dining" customs around this world of ours.

you know, that this is the first time we have had any type of disagreement? one in about three years (or is it four) ain't bad. Laughing

it occurs to me that i've "known" quite a few people here for a long time.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:44 am
Pueo
I don't love you any less ;-)
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:45 am
I think it's going on 4 years Pueo. Hard to believe it's been so long!
0 Replies

pueo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 04:52 am
gezzy, love you too. funny how time flies, isn't it. i know more about some of you than people i actually interact with every day.

btw, what was the outcome with your neighbor's dogs?

and have you heard from jeff? he sent me an email last christmas saying that he was thinking of moving back to boston and becoming involved with a2k. since then i have not heard from him.

and finally, you seem to be more relaxed after making your move to canada. good for you. if you ever open up that restaurant you talked about, count me in as a customer.

maybe this should have gone to a pm.
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:03 am
Pueo
After I made my point clear about the dogs there hasn't been any problems at all :-D

I haven't heard from Jef since he first moved to NY. I do wonder how he's doing.

I have totally relaxed since my move and I have never regretted it one bit. I'm still looking into career options for when I'm done teaching my son, so if I do open a restaurant, you can be sure I'll let everyone know. Thanks for saying you'll be a customer and you can be sure that the food will be the best. I wouldn't settle for anything less.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:04 am
If you open an Indian restaurant, can I get to be the head chef ? I wont cook nekkid I promise
0 Replies

gezzy

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 05:08 am
Gautam
I'd be honored to have you as my head chef ;-)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 06:41 am
Hey, let's not forget that the Phillipines is also responsible for 'Pig-Face Salad' which is exactly what it sounds like. Loved the "No War" banner on the site, topping those lovely pics of the chicken fetus....

Indian food rocks...I cook it at home frequently. Very Happy
0 Replies