First Democratic Primary moved to South Carolina.

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 11:40 am
Finally.
We will no longer be guided by the wisdom and knowledge of about 150,000 white wheat farmers who have enough free time to spend an entire day wandering between groups of other like-minded white wheat farmers.

Total number of voters in some years fell to 25,000 people. I have more people in my neighborhood in NYC.

Joe(Few of them are farmers, like minded or white)Nation

Real Music

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 01:25 pm
@joe 2nation,
https://assets.ltkcontent.com/images/85044/rural-urban-suburban_3b74c0a0aa.webp
hightor

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 01:30 pm
@joe 2nation,
This is great news but I wonder how those rockheads in the Granite State will react. Their state constitution declares that they will hold the first primary. It could get ugly.
Real Music

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 01:33 pm
@joe 2nation,
1. I agree that Iowa should (not) be the first State in the primary,

2. I believe the first State should be much more diverse.

3. With that being said, I believe it is important for the Democratic Party to pay attention to all three
Rural America, Urban America, and Suburban America.

4. South Carolina is clearly more diverse than Iowa.

5. South Carolina clearly have a larger black population, making South Carolina more diverse than Iowa.

6. Black Americans, White Americans, Hispanic Americans, and various other races and ethnicities
are all important to the Democratic Party.
oralloy

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:04 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
This is great news but I wonder how those rockheads in the Granite State will react. Their state constitution declares that they will hold the first primary. It could get ugly.

Federalize the National Guard, and send them in to take control of the state.

That said, the Democrats should not be forcing the Republicans to alter their own primary schedule. If the Republicans want to keep starting with Iowa and New Hampshire, they should be allowed to do so.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:06 pm
@hightor,
1. I forget which state has been the first state.
2. It was either Iowa and then New Hampshire
3. Or it was New Hampshire and then Iowa.
4. I often get the order of the first two wrong.
5. I seem to remember that Iowa was the first Caucus state and New Hampshire was the first primary state.
6. The change in the primary calendar probably won't have any real meaning in 2024 for the Democratic Party.
7. If the party's sitting president is running for re-election, the primary is all but a formality.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:12 pm
@Real Music,
I also think that the Democratic Party should also consider a state that they can actually win. SC is so republican, it is a one-party state and it really understates the Hispanic population which is a bigger constituency nationwide. If you wanted a competitive Southern state, Georgia, NC or Virginia would reach a broader coalition of voters and are also competitive. Those states feature a strong mix of rural and agricultural areas, super modern high-tech businesses, and vibrant urban areas and their associated suburbs as well as very diverse populations. If you really wanted to mirror the US, Illinois is probably your best bet. The US is 57.8% White, 18.7% Hispanic, 12.1% Black, almost 5% Asian. Illinois is 58.3% white, 18.2% Hispanic, 13.9% black and 5.8% Asian. That would be a good snapshot of the US.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:13 pm
@Real Music,
Urban looks more downtown/business than where people live in cities.
Real Music

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:23 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Urban looks more downtown/business than where people live in cities.

1. I believe in some urban areas there are large numbers of people who live in (high rise) apartment buildings.

2. Especially in places like New York and Chicago.

3. I don't live in New York or Chicago. But, I've always thought that those cities had massive numbers of people
who live in (high rise) apartments urban areas.

4. I could be wrong.
Real Music

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:30 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
I also think that the Democratic Party should also consider a state that they can actually win. SC is so republican, it is a one-party state and it really understates the Hispanic population which is a bigger constituency nationwide. If you wanted a competitive Southern state, Georgia, NC or Virginia would reach a broader coalition of voters and are also competitive. Those states feature a strong mix of rural and agricultural areas, super modern high-tech businesses, and vibrant urban areas and their associated suburbs as well as very diverse populations. If you really wanted to mirror the US, Illinois is probably your best bet. The US is 57.8% White, 18.7% Hispanic, 12.1% Black, almost 5% Asian. Illinois is 58.3% white, 18.2% Hispanic, 13.9% black and 5.8% Asian. That would be a good snapshot of the US.

1. For the most part, I agree with the points you have articulated.

2. In fact, based on many of your points, probably either Georgia or Nevada might have been the best state to be first.
joe 2nation

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:34 pm
@engineer,
Your point on Illinois is well taken, but even the news geeks I know couldn't tell you when, if ever, Illinois holds its primary.
(I looked it up. They hold it AFTER Super Tuesday with Arizona and Florida going the same day. No wonder no one remembers.)

I think they moved it in part to drive Sen. Lindsey Graham a little crazy.

Joe( or crazier)Nation

engineer

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 02:59 pm
@joe 2nation,
I pulled in the racial makeup of every state, generated a figure of merit and ranked the states on how close they are to the overall makeup of the US. Iowa is terrible (40th place). South Carolina is 20th, not bad, not great. The top ten in order:

Illinois (big number one, far ahead of the pack)
 Connecticut
 New York
 New Jersey
 Oklahoma (this one is deceptive as I didn't include Native Americans in my metric)
 Virginia
 Florida
 Colorado
 Washington
 North Carolina
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 03:35 pm
@Real Music,
If there are any people dwelling in your picture they'd have to be quite wealthy.

It doesn't look at all working class, unlike a lot of the parts of the city I live in.

It looks deceptive, suggesting urban is all about wealth and affluence, while the inner city is anything but.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 6 Feb, 2023 04:32 pm
@Real Music,
My inlaws lived in an 8 (I believe) floor older building. Not a gleaming high rise but not a house, either. Lots of the Upper West Side is like that.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 01:31 am
@jespah,
I don't see any tenement buildings in RM's picture, just luxury condos.
Lash

Reply Tue 7 Feb, 2023 07:33 am
@engineer,
Agree. SC is red.
0 Replies

Real Music

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 10:20 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
I don't see any tenement buildings in RM's picture, just luxury condos.

That post was an error on my part.
spunkybrewster

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 01:39 pm
@Real Music,
Being from Illinois I would have to say no. Downstate votes strictly Republican with the exception of East St. Louis, IL and I-180 up including Chicago always votes Democratic. That is if, they aren't voting dead people which they almost always do. So how would that be diversified?
glitterbag

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2023 11:13 pm
@spunkybrewster,
Why don't the dead people vote for Republicans anymore?
spunkybrewster

Reply Sat 11 Feb, 2023 09:15 am
@glitterbag,
They haven't ever voted for dead people, at least in my lifetime. They didn't need to. They had viable candidates running. Now they are the murder capital of the US. Sad Also Mike Madigan is no longer Speaker. He used to run a very tight ship and didn't always like anyone to steal his thunder.