Semantics - What's She REALLY Saying?

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 05:57 pm
Scenario - Me Living with Her

Her: I've been looking for my cup -- it's like it has just walked off. And my book is not where I always keep it.
Me: Did you look over here?
Her: I never put my book there.
Me: What about the other day when you were rearranging that cabinet? Might you have put the cup in there?
Her: No, I just don't understand. When I was here by myself, these things never happened.
Me: I haven't had your book, and I don't need that cup.
Her: I didn't say you did. But before you got here, my things didn't just disappear.
Me: So, since I'm the only other person here, it's got to be me.
Her: I didn't say that. I'm not accusing you of anything
Me: So, what are you saying?
Her: I'm simply saying that all my things stayed where I put them when I was here alone.

How would you interpret "Her" statements? How would this interaction leave you feeling?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 648 • Replies: 7
No top replies

jespah

Reply Fri 30 Dec, 2022 07:32 pm
@just1moreUN24get,
How 'bout interpreting it as your presence being distracting enough that she can't keep track of her cup?

You know, instead of searching for a reason to fight.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 1 Jan, 2023 05:05 am
You've already written down what she's "really" saying.

If she was suggesting that you don't know the difference between an expressed and an implied comment I'd have to agree with her.

And stop doing sick stuff with her cup and book.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 09:22 am
@just1moreUN24get,
I think you should move out immediately ... but first take a bunch of her things and put them in places she would never find them (i.e. book in freezer, cup under under the bed, keys in bottom bathroom cupboard).
0 Replies

just1moreUN24get

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 01:58 pm
Well, I came here thinking I could get some serious input. Seems that all I did was provide a little entertainment for some, and end up being the brunt of ridicule for others.

“How 'bout interpreting it as your presence being distracting enough that she can't keep track of her cup? …. You know, instead of searching for a reason to fight.” - jespah
Being a distraction never occurred to me. Whether it had or not, however, I have not been searching for a reason to fight, and frankly do not understand why anyone would intentionally 'search for a reason' to fight, or how you came to the conclusion that my question of how you would interpret her comments as, looking for a reason to fight.

“You've already written down what she's "really" saying.” - izzythepush
So then you agree that, by continually saying, were she there alone, she is in so many words, accusing me of taking those items that are missing?

“If she was suggesting that you don't know the difference between an expressed and an implied comment I'd have to agree with her.” - izzythepush
If you are interpreting her comments as she does, there is the difference - I see them as veiled accusations, she does not.

“And stop doing sick stuff with her cup and book.” - issythepush
I don't do sick stuff like that, and I have not done anything with her cup and book. EVERYthing that comes up missing or moved, I (or anyone there at the time) am the one suspected because, I am “the only other person in the house.” She used to flat out accuse by asking things like, “why did you take this?” “What did you do with that?” “Are you going to return that item?” As far as she is concerned, it is a given that an item had to have been taken or moved by someone else, and not moved by her and later forgotten as to where she moved it. Over time, it has changed to, “this didn't happened when I was alone.” “That never moved before you got here.” And is why I interpret these comments as veiled accusations. She does not see it that way. She insists that because she is not outright saying that I took something, it is not an accusation.

“I think you should move out immediately ... but first take a bunch of her things and put them in places she would never find them (i.e. book in freezer, cup under under the bed, keys in bottom bathroom cupboard). ” - Mame
I dunno about you...but I would not do something like that. Such a thought would never even have come to mind. What would be the purpose? Would you derive satisfaction in doing something like that? Unless you are making light of the issue, you apparently believe me to be a very cruel and dastardly individual.

All that said, I thank each of you for your time, and Happy New Year to all.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 02:30 pm
@just1moreUN24get,
People don't interpret their own comments.

Happy New Year to you too.
0 Replies

Glennn

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 02:32 pm
@just1moreUN24get,
How long have you been living together?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2023 02:55 pm
@just1moreUN24get,
You take yourself so seriously! How in the world would we know anything about her? Or you, for that matter. But I do understand your concerns. She IS accusing you, quite obviously, because she is NEVER wrong. She couldn't have put it somewhere else and forgotten, which is the logical conclusion anyone else would come to. Are these things permanently missing or just mislaid? Has she ever suggested why you (or anyone else) would deliberately move her things and then deny it?

Your choices are to put up with the continual accusations or move out of there. If you're okay being accused and not believed for the rest of your life, then stay. If you find her behaviour unreasonable, as I do, then move out.
0 Replies