Continued space exploration is vital for the advancement...

buckeyegirl7

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:14 pm
That is HILARIOUS!!! I am laughing soooo hard! not at you... with you. I didn't even think that a courtesy clerk would be a grocery packer... lol! OK. I totally messed up on my aff case. I didn't realize until I made it that I didn't even TRY to pursuade that it is VITAL. I skipped that part completely... you know? I mean, it's a decent case, but it doesn't cover the whole point of the resolution that it is VITAL... anyways.... I'm a dork. I forget these things! lol!
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:57 pm
What grade are you in? Just curious. I am a senior, but i only started last year.

Well, in LD debate, you must remember that it is a value debate, which correlates with morals. So, in every topic, you must find the word that enhances morality. Vital is the only morally relative word in the resolution, so, therefore, you must guard that word with every ounce of your case. What is your aff outline?
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:17 am
Junior... You sure know what you're talking about to have just started last year... Did you just start debate or LD debate? Oh, I know what I'm doing, by the way, I was in a rush to get my case done so I wouldn't FAIL debate!!! lol... Grades are due today and I haven't turned in anything.. I've been worried about the hurricane... Sad
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2005 07:21 am
Also, don't think I'm a flake or anything... I do my work, I've just got a few priorities that are higher right now... like my LIFE!
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 03:05 am
tourney cancelled...
Okay, my tounament was cancelled (no thanks to hurricane Rita!!). So, I don't get a chance to run anything anytime soon. Until then, I am going to look for new ideas... anybody? Also, I have nearly come to the conclusion that our resolution is QUITE dumb/pointless. I don't mean it rude, but there is seriously no way to prove that space exploration is VITAL. That's too extreme. And honestly, if anyone wins on affirmative, I will laugh... and then ask what your case was!! Laughing The only reason you could win on aff would be if the neg. opponent was a DA. If I'm wrong, PLEASE let me know. THERE IS NO WAY TO PROVE THAT SPACE EXPLORATION IS VITAL. It is not Vital for us to live on Mars or any other planet or space blob for that matter. UGH! We are perfectly fine where we are...

There are some good ideas for affirmative, but no GOOD way to say that it's vital. I'm sorry for going off like this... :wink:
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:07 pm
look at this.......

value: Progress (which is VITAL for advancement)
Criterion: quality of life

because space exploration has contributed THOUSANDS of advancements that have enhanced the quality of life of countless people in the world, it has led to the advancement of civilization, because Progress is achieved, and Progress is vital.

Oh, and want to know something funny?

i just found out I have band competitions on both of the UIL tourn. we are attending this semester, so I don't even get to debate this!!!!!!
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:48 pm
ok. That sucks that you aren't going to be able to debate this semester. Do y'all not have more tournaments that you could go to? What do you play in band? JW... I don't guess that neg. could call a circular value/criterion...? Maybe? Anyways, I'm sorry you can't debate this semester... Good Luck in 2nd... Smile
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:56 pm
I just realized... This is really weird that I'm practically talking to the whole world (possibly) Like, they are totally reading what I have to say! ES MUY LOCO!!! That's weird.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:26 pm
wow, just, wow.

I play saxophone mostly, but have put in a couple of years as a clarinet. I also was in guard for a long time.

circular value/criterion?
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:22 pm
Why wow? What did I say? Guard? What's that? Circular is when your value depends on your criterion or vice-versa... I'm flustered! ugh
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 08:25 pm
That talking to the whole world thing, that gave me a laugh. at first, the only thing I could think to type was "wow"

Guard is the flags and rifles that accompany a band during marching season (colorguard) or recorded music in a gym during the spring (winterguard)

I have never heard of a circular value/criterion. Could you give me an example of how it can work? I am a little iffy.

lol, I made you flustered.

did you notice that we are basically the only ones posting on this anymore?
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 08:00 am
That's really funny! We really are the only people on here... uh, I understand about the gaurd stuff.. ok, an example of a circular value/criterion would be like, uh... freedom and equality... when your value can't stand by itself... i'll explain later... gotta go!! :wink:
0 Replies

buckeyegirl7

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 07:07 pm
OK, the only way that I can think to describe circular v/c is: You must be able to have/obtain your value without your criteria. You must be able to have/obtain your criteria without your value. If your value depends on your criteria or vice-versa, then your have a circular v/c.
Your criteria should SUPPORT your value, not DEPEND on it. Do you understand? I think I said the same thing in an earlier post! LOL!! Laughing
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 29 Sep, 2005 11:45 pm
so, the circular is bad? right? cuz' i don't think I would ever do that.
0 Replies

haterdebater

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 08:52 am
Space Exploration
i am a student at sherman high school and need information on the topic Resolved: Continued space exploration is vital for the advancement of civilization because i have to have a case rfor the aff. and neg. very very soon!!! please help suck at debate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:19 am
you have to do both sides? that's rough. i personally don't think it's vital. you can look up what i wrote about it on this thread earlier. for starters, civilization was advancing for a long time before anyone even thought of space exploration. for another, civilization is more than just technology and science, and lots of technology & science--take biotech for example--have nothing to do with space.

i shouldn't be telling you what to say, anyway, so good luck with the rest of it.
0 Replies

haterdebater

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:20 am
i need help with this topic for school help please!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

haterdebater

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 09:23 am
well thanks for the help with that i am failing debate and i kinda dont wanna do the work it is soooooooooooooooo boring so i dont know i hate doing aff. and neg.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2005 03:37 pm
Depressing poll results
0 Replies

nick17

Reply Fri 2 Dec, 2005 05:40 am
In 2005 NASA had a budget of $16.2 billion. I think the advancement of civilization lies first on our own planet. So many people are dying in the third world. I we cant sort out our own planet - we shouldn't be blowing so much money on space exploration.
0 Replies