Continued space exploration is vital for the advancement...

yitwail

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:58 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
I doubt you can construct a persuasive argument that we would be better off generally had we remained confined to Sub-Saharan Africa, and used our time productively to gather as many nuts and berries as possible to feed our hungry people.

i doubt i can, and i'm not going to try. by the same token, i don't think you can demonstrate that all exploration is inherently beneficial. to me it boils down to an economic question, getting the most bang for the buck. i personally think that finding a renewable source of energy that doesn't add more green house gases to the atmosphere is a higher priority than space exploration, at this time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 03:03 pm
yitwail wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I doubt you can construct a persuasive argument that we would be better off generally had we remained confined to Sub-Saharan Africa, and used our time productively to gather as many nuts and berries as possible to feed our hungry people.

i doubt i can, and i'm not going to try. by the same token, i don't think you can demonstrate that all exploration is inherently beneficial. to me it boils down to an economic question, getting the most bang for the buck. i personally think that finding a renewable source of energy that doesn't add more green house gases to the atmosphere is a higher priority than space exploration, at this time.

I think I just did demonstrate that this kind of exploration is inherently beneficial. Do you not think that it was beneficial when humans spread from Africa over the surface of the Earth? Back in the days when humans were a few tribes in one area of Africa, a person who suggested sending an expedition to see what was over the next hill might have been told that his energy would be more productively spent trying to gather more nuts and berries each day to feed the hungry people than with some pie in the sky exploration project, but, indeed, such exploration resulted in what we now think of as human civilization. I think that your position is shortsighted.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 03:43 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I think I just did demonstrate that this kind of exploration is inherently beneficial.

precisely; you said, "this kind of exploration". so which kind is that? if you say, the beneficial kind, then obviously it's beneficial. also, when you talk about prehistoric hunter-gatherers "exploring" you're stretching the meaning of the term a bit, since hunter-gatherers are inherently nomadic. to hunt, you have to follow the prey. that's how humans moved from Asia across ice to the Americas, following the prey. exploration generally refers to journeys to unknown places from an established base of operations, quite different from permanent migration of nomads.

there have been expeditions in my sense that were not beneficial, such as attempts to find the fountain of youth or golden cities. and even your first example, Columbus' expedition, would have been a failure but for the fact that there were civilizations in the Americas who mined the precious metals that the Spaniards could loot, since his original goal was to find a route to China or India. or what about Eric the Red's expedition to Greenland? it's hard to argue that the expedition was beneficial, since all the settlers from Iceland eventually perished.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:59 pm
yitwail wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I think I just did demonstrate that this kind of exploration is inherently beneficial.

precisely; you said, "this kind of exploration". so which kind is that? if you say, the beneficial kind, then obviously it's beneficial. also, when you talk about prehistoric hunter-gatherers "exploring" you're stretching the meaning of the term a bit, since hunter-gatherers are inherently nomadic. to hunt, you have to follow the prey. that's how humans moved from Asia across ice to the Americas, following the prey. exploration generally refers to journeys to unknown places from an established base of operations, quite different from permanent migration of nomads.

there have been expeditions in my sense that were not beneficial, such as attempts to find the fountain of youth or golden cities. and even your first example, Columbus' expedition, would have been a failure but for the fact that there were civilizations in the Americas who mined the precious metals that the Spaniards could loot, since his original goal was to find a route to China or India. or what about Eric the Red's expedition to Greenland? it's hard to argue that the expedition was beneficial, since all the settlers from Iceland eventually perished.

Yes, yes, there have been explorations in history that have not been beneficial. But refraining from remaining confined to a small area could be expected to be beneficial to us in general, in the same way that the spread of our species out of Africa and over the surface of the Earth was.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:22 pm
One could, of course, argue that a sizeable chunk of the world's population -- the Native Americans, for example -- would be far better off today had Columbus never made those four journeys at the time that he did. Given another few hundred years to develop by themselves, they might have achieved a level of civilization that the Europeans could not so easily conquer. All guesswork, of course. But you seem to be arguing, Brandon, that the settlement of the New World by a bunch of slave-holding, gold-grabbing, torch-and-sword-wielding savages was inherently good. That's hard to defend.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
One could, of course, argue that a sizeable chunk of the world's population -- the Native Americans, for example -- would be far better off today had Columbus never made those four journeys at the time that he did. Given another few hundred years to develop by themselves, they might have achieved a level of civilization that the Europeans could not so easily conquer. All guesswork, of course. But you seem to be arguing, Brandon, that the settlement of the New World by a bunch of slave-holding, gold-grabbing, torch-and-sword-wielding savages was inherently good. That's hard to defend.

Funny, I don't remember saying that. Could you find the post? I am saying that the human race has been and is better off for occupying the whole world than we would be had we remained confined to one small region of Africa where we evolved. Let's see how many ways you can distort this rather simple idea.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 05:48 pm
not to mention all the Africans who were displaced & enslaved to cultivate cash crops in the New World. Brandon's position is extremely Eurocentric, as you point out, Merry Andrew.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 06:45 pm
Brandon, I think you did mention, in an earlier post, that Queen Isabella's financing Columbus's first voyage was historically more of a boon to mankind than if she had given the largesse to the poor, instead. That's the post I was refering to when I said it's arguable that many in the world would be better off had Columbus not made the discovery he did at the time he did.

I do not dispute your contention that it's a good thing mankind wandered away from equatorial Africa. Along with yitwail, I disagree that there is a valid comparison to be made here with space travel, but that's another argument entirely.

As you may have noticed in a previous post of mine, I'm actually all in favor of further space exploration. I just don't think anyone could convince me that this is, somehow, "vital", or even demonstrably an inevitable boon to "civilization", whatever that is defined to be.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:07 pm
one significant difference between space travel and prehistoric humans dispersing from Africa is that the early humans didn't tax anyone in order to finance their exploration.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:31 pm
yitwail wrote:
not to mention all the Africans who were displaced & enslaved to cultivate cash crops in the New World. Brandon's position is extremely Eurocentric, as you point out, Merry Andrew.

If you don't agree with me, then you disagree with me. Since my assertion is that mankind is better for having not remained confined to its birthplace in Africa, then you are asserting that manking ought to have remained confined to its birthplace in Africa. This makes you a prize fool.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 07:53 pm
yitwail wrote:
one significant difference between space travel and prehistoric humans dispersing from Africa is that the early humans didn't tax anyone in order to finance their exploration.

Oh, that's the smoking gun alright. You mean we're actually using taxes to finance exploration like we do for a thousand other types of research? How despicable!
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:26 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
... that the settlement of the New World by a bunch of slave-holding, gold-grabbing, torch-and-sword-wielding savages was inherently good.

but i read in books and sites that it was disease carrying religious pilgrims that caused the deaths (by disease) to all those natives Wink
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:30 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

If you don't agree with me, then you disagree with me.

now, who was the other dude who made a similar statement ?? Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:42 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Alright, then tell me what the third alternative is, please.

I made a very specific, single assertion and yitwail implied that it's not correct. So, how, pray tell, am wrong when I say that this indicates disagreement?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:49 pm
brahmin wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
... that the settlement of the New World by a bunch of slave-holding, gold-grabbing, torch-and-sword-wielding savages was inherently good.

but i read in books and sites that it was disease carrying religious pilgrims that caused the deaths (by disease) to all those natives Wink

Yeah, that, too. Couldn't shoot 'em all. Those early firearms were notoriously unreliable.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:52 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
brahmin wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:

Yeah, that, too. Couldn't shoot 'em all. Those early firearms were notoriously unreliable.

aha, so necessitty is the mother of introducing disease as well ?? Wink
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

I made a very specific, single assertion and yitwail implied that it's not correct. So, how, pray tell, am wrong when I say that this indicates disagreement?

i'll leave it to you and dubya to work out what the third alternative is.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:53 pm
In a manner of speaking. Read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

i'll leave it to you and dubya to work out what the third alternative is.

Because you can't answer? Bush said, "If you're not with us, you're against us." I said, referring to a very simple, single assertion of mine, "If you don't agree, you disagree." These are entirely different things. Now answer or admit that you cannot.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you don't agree with me, then you disagree with me. Since my assertion is that mankind is better for having not remained confined to its birthplace in Africa, then you are asserting that manking ought to have remained confined to its birthplace in Africa

Brandon9000 wrote:

Because you can't answer? Bush said, "If you're not with us, you're against us." I said, referring to a very simple, single assertion of mine, "If you don't agree, you disagree." These are entirely different things. Now answer or admit that you cannot.

ok....you said that since mankind surely is better of having ventured out of africa, all exploration must be good.

she pointed out, that though the africa move was brilliant, and neither cost any tax money, some other moves, like taking over the americas - weren't too popular with the people at the receiving end of it.

so clearly ALL exploration can't be good.
0 Replies