Continued space exploration is vital for the advancement...

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:13 pm
Merry Andrew wrote:
In a manner of speaking. Read Jared Diamond's Guns, Germs and Steel.

i'll try to get my hands on it Smile
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:18 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you don't agree with me, then you disagree with me. Since my assertion is that mankind is better for having not remained confined to its birthplace in Africa, then you are asserting that manking ought to have remained confined to its birthplace in Africa

Brandon9000 wrote:

Because you can't answer? Bush said, "If you're not with us, you're against us." I said, referring to a very simple, single assertion of mine, "If you don't agree, you disagree." These are entirely different things. Now answer or admit that you cannot.

ok....you said that since mankind surely is better of having ventured out of africa, all exploration must be good.
she pointed out, that though the africa move was brilliant, and neither cost any tax money, some other moves, like taking over the americas - weren't too popular with the people at the receiving end of it.

so clearly ALL exploration can't be good.

That is most certainly not what I said. I said:

Brandon9000 wrote:

Merry Andrew wrote:
One could, of course, argue that a sizeable chunk of the world's population -- the Native Americans, for example -- would be far better off today had Columbus never made those four journeys at the time that he did. Given another few hundred years to develop by themselves, they might have achieved a level of civilization that the Europeans could not so easily conquer. All guesswork, of course. But you seem to be arguing, Brandon, that the settlement of the New World by a bunch of slave-holding, gold-grabbing, torch-and-sword-wielding savages was inherently good. That's hard to defend.

...I am saying that the human race has been and is better off for occupying the whole world than we would be had we remained confined to one small region of Africa where we evolved. Let's see how many ways you can distort this rather simple idea.

And yitwail responded:

yitwail wrote:
not to mention all the Africans who were displaced & enslaved to cultivate cash crops in the New World. Brandon's position is extremely Eurocentric, as you point out, Merry Andrew.

I was asserting that we are better off for having ventured out of Africa, and not only was I not saying that all exploration was good, but I specifically acknowledged the opposite. Now, to get back to the subject, if I make a simple assertion of a single fact, and someone indicates that I'm wrong, how am I incorrect in labelling this disagreement?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:30 pm
Give yourself a happy, healthy population of islanders. Should they disperse? Should I mention the island is volcanic in nature?

Now, space exploration doesn't necessairly equate to space travel nor colonization, but does it seem wise to put all the eggs in one basket? Astroids float around, suns go nova, climates change. Does survival of the species fit anyone's definition of vital?

Sorry for ending nearly every sentence with a question mark, but I'm posing thoughts.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 09:31 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
...I am saying that the human race has been and is better off for occupying the whole world than we would be had we remained confined to one small region of Africa where we evolved.

the human race was not occupying the whole world, including the americas and australias, before the cooks and the christophers arrived ??

if you didnt mean that ALL exploration was good, its cos you indirectly meant that only all eurocentric exploration was.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:23 pm
I just skipped five pages of posts, so I suppose this is landing in the outfield...

but I read this morning that there is interest in increasing the co-payment for medicaid recipients... the most struggling of people, where money from one thing means less to another, such as food or heat. Yes, I know, or drugs or alcohol. Still, people live hand to mouth and having the copayment increased can cause real physical harm as people don't go in the first place, or are cut off.

And then I hear of incredible sums spent not working out re space.

I understand the scientific, if not the military, interest in space, but am amazed by the skew.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Thu 18 Aug, 2005 10:37 pm
In response to the question. Yeah, because it's about time that we should try to find a way to live in this universe when the sun is getting bigger.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:27 am
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
...I am saying that the human race has been and is better off for occupying the whole world than we would be had we remained confined to one small region of Africa where we evolved.

the human race was not occupying the whole world, including the americas and australias, before the cooks and the christophers arrived ??

if you didnt mean that ALL exploration was good, its cos you indirectly meant that only all eurocentric exploration was.

Please show me where I said or implied this? I insist that you back up your accusation. I assert that you simply made it up.

My point remains that the human race is better off for having spread over the Earth than we would be had we played it safe and stayed in one little area. Anyone who thinks that we ought to have stayed confined to equatorial Africa forever is an imbecile.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:33 am
Ray, will you post some more on the sun getting bigger? Oh, and do ya'll just get on at a certain time and hammer each other for an hour on purpose? i admit, it is funny to watch, but ya'll add pages really quickly...

Actually, these arguments could prove very useful, so thanks. But, I was wondering if anyone did have a useful definition(s) of civilization advancement?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 12:50 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Please show me where I said or implied this? I insist that you back up your accusation. I assert that you simply made it up.

My point remains that the human race is better off for having spread over the Earth than we would be had we played it safe and stayed in one little area. Anyone who thinks that we ought to have stayed confined to equatorial Africa forever is an imbecile.

here -
Brandon9000 wrote:

And Queen Isabella of Spain could have helped a lot of poor people with her jewels instead of donating them to Columbus, but in the long run, her contribution was well spent.

in the long run, her contribution also ensured the wiping out of a people and the last few remaining being rendered voiceless in their own land.

so well spent it is, only from a eurocentric point of view.

and in saying
Brandon9000 wrote:
I mean, it really would have been a terrible thing for the human race to have remained confined to one continent on Earth, just because we evolved there.

do you not imply that the spreading out/exploration of the new world by the original peoples, arn't good enough? as if humans had remained confined in sub saharan africa, till the europeans arrived .
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:16 am
does advancement necessarily have to be "good" in this topic? All of your arguments based on detrimental advancements could be argued as invalid, because they are still advancements. Advancements are...

1. A forward step; an improvement.
2. Development; progress: the advancement of knowledge.
3. A promotion, as in rank.
4. The act of moving forward.

Depending on the definition used (especially #2), civilization is still progressing in knowledge.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:20 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
yitwail wrote:
not to mention all the Africans who were displaced & enslaved to cultivate cash crops in the New World. Brandon's position is extremely Eurocentric, as you point out, Merry Andrew.

If you don't agree with me, then you disagree with me. Since my assertion is that mankind is better for having not remained confined to its birthplace in Africa, then you are asserting that manking ought to have remained confined to its birthplace in Africa. This makes you a prize fool.

as someone else pointed out, brahmin perhaps, there is a third alternative: i can question your position. anyway, FYI, i never specifically disagreed with your position that mankind is better off having left Africa. if you don't believe this, here's my original reply to your statement:

yitwail wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
I doubt you can construct a persuasive argument that we would be better off generally had we remained confined to Sub-Saharan Africa, and used our time productively to gather as many nuts and berries as possible to feed our hungry people.

i doubt i can, and i'm not going to try. by the same token, i don't think you can demonstrate that all exploration is inherently beneficial. to me it boils down to an economic question, getting the most bang for the buck. i personally think that finding a renewable source of energy that doesn't add more green house gases to the atmosphere is a higher priority than space exploration, at this time.

since i acknowledge that i can't refute your statement, and instead question the idea that all exploration is beneficial, i haven't disagreed with your statement yet, so i'm returning the fool prize until i earn it legitimately. what i "question" is the benefit of Columbus' voyages to the world outside of Europe. i'm not entirely convinced that it was vital to advancing civilization--it certainly didn't advance the indigenous civilizations of the Americas.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:33 am
"beneficial" is not a word in the topic, however. Only "advancements"
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:39 am
hyper426 wrote:
Ray, will you post some more on the sun getting bigger? Oh, and do ya'll just get on at a certain time and hammer each other for an hour on purpose? i admit, it is funny to watch, but ya'll add pages really quickly...

Actually, these arguments could prove very useful, so thanks. But, I was wondering if anyone did have a useful definition(s) of civilization advancement?

glad you're being entertained and getting something useful. you're arguing the affirmative in the debate, right? you have the votes goin your way, but Brandon seems to be the only one arguing your case. anyway, IMO, in a debate one shouldn't just back up one's position, one also has to answer objections to one's position, so it should help knowing how you'll get attacked. i suppose you could try answering back like Brandon by pointing out the benefits of mankind emerging out of Africa. as you may have guessed if you've read my posts, i voted no--i wish the other no voter would 'fess up--but i did mention satellite communications which are arguably an advancement of civilization.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:00 am
hyper426 wrote:
"beneficial" is not a word in the topic, however. Only "advancements"

that's an astute observation. the word that you have to contend with is "vital." i rather doubt anything harmful could be vital, but perhaps something could be neither harmful nor beneficial yet vital.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
yitwail wrote:
but perhaps something could be neither harmful nor beneficial yet vital.

what if space exploration turned out to be harmful (in some ways) AND benificial (in other ways) and yet NOT vital ???

Wink <------------------ note
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:16 am
brahmin wrote:
yitwail wrote:
but perhaps something could be neither harmful nor beneficial yet vital.

what if space exploration turned out to be harmful (in some ways) AND benificial (in other ways) and yet NOT vital ???

Wink <------------------ note

'Yes,' replied Yitwail.

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 02:01 pm
Actually, I have to prepare both sides. I just foresee a need for a better stance on aff.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:11 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

here -
Brandon9000 wrote:

And Queen Isabella of Spain could have helped a lot of poor people with her jewels instead of donating them to Columbus, but in the long run, her contribution was well spent.

Please tell me how this quotation implies that "only Eurocentric exploration is good." This quotation merely states that one historical case of European exploration was good. How do you infer from that that other peoples' exploration and colonization is not good? You're putting words in my mouth. My actual intention here was to show that spending money on exploration is usually worthwhile.

brahmin wrote:
in the long run, her contribution also ensured the wiping out of a people and the last few remaining being rendered voiceless in their own land.

and in saying
Brandon9000 wrote:
I mean, it really would have been a terrible thing for the human race to have remained confined to one continent on Earth, just because we evolved there.

do you not imply that the spreading out/exploration of the new world by the original peoples, arn't good enough? as if humans had remained confined in sub saharan africa, till the europeans arrived .

You are taking an extremely simple assertion and making it into something very convoluted and confusing. The human race evolved in sub-Saharan Africa. At some point in time, humans occupied only this one area. I said only that it's a good thing that Man spread out over his planet. This bizarre racist stuff is nowhere but in your mind.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 03:36 pm
hyper426 wrote:
Actually, I have to prepare both sides. I just foresee a need for a better stance on aff.

how about, 11 out of 15 (currently) wa2k members consider space exploration vital for the advancement of civilization? :wink:

it works for selling toothpaste i think. 8 out 10 dentists brush with their right hand, or some such.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 07:57 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
brahmin wrote:

here -
Brandon9000 wrote:

Please tell me how this quotation implies that "only Eurocentric exploration is good." This quotation merely states that one historical case of European exploration was good. How do you infer from that that other peoples' exploration and colonization is not good?

yes but that one historical case of europen exploration was good ONLY from a eurocentrie point of view !! good was the last thing it was from a amerindian reference frame.

it wasn't my inference that other's explorations weren't good, it was what was implicit in yor statements. that the expeditions of the people of africa to the new world - after expeditions into china (since the amerindians were largely mongoloid), weren't good enough.
Brandon9000 wrote:

brahmin wrote:

and in saying
Brandon9000 wrote:

You are taking an extremely simple assertion and making it into something very convoluted and confusing. The human race evolved in sub-Saharan Africa. At some point in time, humans occupied only this one area. I said only that it's a good thing that Man spread out over his planet. This bizarre racist stuff is nowhere but in your mind.

no racist. but a priority/partiality of interests. if european interests are served, even if at a terrible expense to natives, you don't condone it. at least when you said that the queen's money was well spent, it doesn't in any way was condone the genocide.
drawing a parallel with the thread topic - if we explored the moon and in the process of making a mad loot of the resources available on the moon, had to kill all the hypothetical natives of the moon, then that exploration would be god only from a earthling p.o.v.
if it was a good thing that man spread out over the planet, the the spreading out of non-european man would be sufficiently good enough too. which is what you hinted against.
0 Replies