Continued space exploration is vital for the advancement...

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:11 pm
brahmin wrote:

no racist. but a priority/partiality of interests. if european interests are served, even if at a terrible expense to natives, you don't condone it. at least when you said that the queen's money was well spent, it doesn't in any way was condone the genocide.
drawing a parallel with the thread topic - if we explored the moon and in the process of making a mad loot of the resources available on the moon, had to kill all the hypothetical natives of the moon, then that exploration would be god only from a earthling p.o.v.
if it was a good thing that man spread out over the planet, the the spreading out of non-european man would be sufficiently good enough too. which is what you hinted against.

I didn't hint for or against anything. I said that just as it would have been a terrible loss of potential for Man to have remained forever confined to equatorial Africa, similarly it would be a terrible loss of potential for Man to remain forever confined to the planet of his origin. All the rest is your overactive imagination. How about addressing what I'm actually saying as opposed to what I'm not even talking about?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:57 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
How about addressing what I'm actually saying

which is ??

besides i was not the only person to get the impresseion that you choose to condone all the effects of exploration, and that only some explorations seemed a good move to you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 08:59 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
How about addressing what I'm actually saying

which is ??

besides i was not the only person to get the impresseion that you choose to condone all the effects of exploration, and that only some explorations seemed a good move to you.

Who cares how many votes you have? What kind of debate is that? For the nth time, I said that just as it would have been a terrible loss of potential for Man to have remained forever confined to equatorial Africa, similarly it would be a terrible loss of potential for Man to remain forever confined to the planet of his origin. That's my argument. Deal with it.
0 Replies

newkid

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:15 pm
new
i'm new to ld debate and i kind of just want to know who i'm up against. I am in 16 2AA i think i debate chisum clarksville honey grove redwater hooks cooper and dekalb. are there any good ones in that district
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:17 pm
Re: new
newkid wrote:
i'm new to ld debate and i kind of just want to know who i'm up against. I am in 16 2AA i think i debate chisum clarksville honey grove redwater hooks cooper and dekalb. are there any good ones in that district

This is just a message board with informal discussion and debate. Welcome.
0 Replies

newkid

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
well thanks for clearing up what this site is about so if you don't mind could we informally discuss who will be my competition in my district, and if y'all want y'all could even debate who they are
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:28 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Who cares how many votes you have? What kind of debate is that? For the nth time, I said that just as it would have been a terrible loss of potential for Man to have remained forever confined to equatorial Africa, similarly it would be a terrible loss of potential for Man to remain forever confined to the planet of his origin. That's my argument. Deal with it.

it shows that i certainly was not the only one one getting the impression i got.

as for your arguement, yes it would be a terrible loss if we didnt explore, but we have other problems to address first and its not like the potential of the earth is saturated and finally exploring outside the planet should not be at the expense of the lives of anyone, like the "exploration" of the new world by europeans was (since the "exploration" of the same new world by the natives dont count)
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:29 pm
newkid wrote:
well thanks for clearing up what this site is about so if you don't mind could we informally discuss who will be my competition in my district, and if y'all want y'all could even debate who they are

No, I don't mind if you can find someone who knows about it. But could you please be polite and put it in its own thread, rather than one about space exploration?
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:43 pm
brahmin wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

it shows that i certainly was not the only one one getting the impression i got.

as for your arguement, yes it would be a terrible loss if we didnt explore, but we have other problems to address first and its not like the potential of the earth is saturated and finally exploring outside the planet should not be at the expense of the lives of anyone, like the "exploration" of the new world by europeans was (since the "exploration" of the same new world by the natives dont count)

No mission of exploration in history ever took place at a time when there was no suffering in the country of origin. Your view is very shortsighted. If we wait for that, we'll be here until on some distant day, aliens come to visit, and take pity and give us the space travel we were too timid to perfect ourselves.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
yeah we need to beat the aliens to it Wink
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:59 pm
brahmin wrote:
yeah we need to beat the aliens to it Wink

No, we don't, but as I said some time ago in this thread, the human race is like a baby starting to grow up, and a baby can't stay in its cradle forever.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 12:13 am
lol

oh, and newkid, I am probably the only high school student on this post. I am a senior, and I don't really care what district I am in, so I don't really know. I am 2AA, though. And, to all ya'll "old farts" out there helping me on this topic (lol), he is not really being rude, and his topic is exactly the one I posted earlier, about SPACE EXPLORATION (in a sense), and he most likely just wants some help, since he said he was new.

oh, newkid, if you need any specific help not being addressed here, you can pm (private msg) me and I would be happy to answer it. Not to sound cocky, but last year was my first year, and I got 3rd at state, so I can probably answer most of your questions.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 08:39 am
h426, i doubt newkid can PM you, you don't get PM privileges until you have a few hundred posts under your belt, and to anticipate a follow-up question, there doesn't seem to be a fixed number of posts you have to make before you get PM privilege.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Sun 21 Aug, 2005 11:48 pm
hmmmmmm, I wonder if I can? i am going to pm you just cause, so no alarm. lol.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 12:00 am
never mind, can't do it. dern
0 Replies

laurena

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 07:11 pm
Hi! Im new but definetly not new to LD debate. I was wondering if perhaps though one of you could help me.

I am having to debate the aff for this topic, I have my value which is quality of life and safety. My 3 main points are 1.) terrorism, 2.)Biological warfare and 3.)Nuclear Warfare...perhaps someone could help me on where i go from here. Im a bit stuck at the moment Sad

Thanks!

Laurena
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Mon 22 Aug, 2005 08:16 pm
how does terrorism, biological warfare and nuclear warfare factor in to how space exploration is vital for the advancement of civilization? I understand quality of life for a value, but are you trying to debate two values, or is safety your criterion? I would also like to know HOW safety factors into the topic, either way. Then, maybe I can help.

On another note, all you non-LD debaters, we will have a two-pronged subject discussion. On one hand, we will discuss the actual LD debate aspect of this subject (questions, value and criterion help, etc.) On the other hand, we will have an actual in-depth discussion of the actual advancements that space exploration would contribute to civilization that would make it vital to continue doing. Sound good?
0 Replies

Jahs Messenjah

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 09:39 pm
Where is this leading?
I have been debating for 1 year now, so I am still new. I have enjoyed reading all of your very interesting points, that were very well put. The attack on how VITAL advancement is good, and sounds how most will lean. I am curious, how well would the question, "Where is all of this going?" do? I mean, if we are spending billions of dollars on shuttle launches, crossing our fingers that they work, is it really all worth it? Could this money not be used somewhere else to further advance civilization? I would love some input.

Jah's Messenjah
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 05:35 am
that would actually be a really good negative stance. Space exploration is a very expensive endever to undertake, especially when the possibility of finding a place that humans could settle and further advance upon is a very unlikely possibility.
0 Replies

Jahs Messenjah

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:29 pm
yea, and it sounds like to me that we are spending these billions of dollars, chasing a highly improbable dream of living on Mars, and killing teams going up in shuttles that should be too old to go up
0 Replies