Speaker Pelosi to step down from leadership position

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 12:15 pm
Big and welcomed news.
Speaker Pelosi says she will step down as party leader after two decades at the top

How many times did she lead the Democratic majority control over the House of Representatives and still manage to return to speaker of the house position after the party got it back years later? Once was enough. Once losing control of the House back in 2010? The party should have never given her the speakership (?) again in 2019.

Lash

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 01:40 pm
Bye, Felicia.
0 Replies

engineer

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 01:48 pm
From Politico

Quote:
Nancy Pelosi, one of the most powerful speakers in modern U.S. history, will cede the helm of House Democratic leadership after 20 years and take on an unfamiliar role: Rank-and-file member.

Since she reclaimed the top gavel in 2018, the first woman speaker — whose legislative prowess has powered her party’s agenda under four presidents — planned to give it up after this term. Yet her decision became more complicated, she has said, by the brutal assault of her husband Paul last month.

“I will not seek reelection to Democratic leadership in the next Congress,” Pelosi said to a packed chamber that remained pin-drop silent as members took in her decision.

Then Democrats’ better-than-expected midterm election prompted personal pleas for her to stay from the president and Senate majority leader.

But in a floor speech attended by nearly every member of her Democratic caucus, including plenty of teary allies, Pelosi declared it was time for a “new generation” of leaders. Clad in stark white, the color of suffragists and her hue of choice for critical moments, the California Democrat delivered her farewell speech within a chamber where she has been a part of Washington’s biggest moments for decades.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 02:31 pm
Pelosi...

...a great lady and a great leader.

People giving her grief should be ashamed of themselves.

It will be a while before we see someone of her quality running things in that chamber.
edgarblythe

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 03:04 pm
Finally. DLTDHYOTWO
0 Replies

Real Music

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 09:34 pm
Thank you Speaker Pelosi. Smile

Thank you Madame Speaker for your years of leadership. Smile

Thank you Madame Speaker for your years of wonderful service to our nation. Smile
0 Replies

oralloy

Thu 17 Nov, 2022 11:20 pm
She acted pretty childish when Mr. Trump was president.

But she did well in helping the NRA to prevent the left from outlawing pistol grips again. That will always be in her favor.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

Fri 18 Nov, 2022 07:22 am
Kevin McCarthy will never be the powerhouse that Nancy was. I shudder thinking that he will 2nd in line to assume the presidency after the VP.
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 18 Nov, 2022 07:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree.
0 Replies

engineer

Fri 18 Nov, 2022 08:15 am
https://www.politico.com/dims4/default/b4ddda9/2147483647/resize/800x%3E/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fe4%2F32%2Fb325d1c44b2b8b4cd5fca4f101a3%2F16-siers-charlotte-observer.jpg
0 Replies

revelette1

Fri 18 Nov, 2022 10:17 am
Speaker of the Establishment Hakeem Jeffries becoming House Democrats’ next leader is not necessarily a sign of progress.

(I don't know too much about this Intelligencer except it seems to be part of NY Mag. It seems to be a bit slanted leftward, progressive. Not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with that. )
Frank Apisa

Fri 18 Nov, 2022 11:28 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Speaker of the Establishment Hakeem Jeffries becoming House Democrats’ next leader is not necessarily a sign of progress.

(I don't know too much about this Intelligencer except it seems to be part of NY Mag. It seems to be a bit slanted leftward, progressive. Not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with that. )

Jury is still out for me on Jeffries. I've heard him speak on many topics on MSNBC...and there are comments he makes that I like...and some I see as trite. I actually had mentioned to my sister last week that I hoped it was not Jeffries who moves up to leader.

We'll see.
bobsal u1553115

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:26 am
@Agent Smith,
Agent Smith wrote:

I heard someone call the US political process a circus and a **** show! What gives?

Really? I heard you really don't give a ****.
0 Replies

snood

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Jury is still out for me on Jeffries. I've heard him speak on many
topics on MSNBC...and there are comments he makes that I like...and some I see as trite. I actually had mentioned to my sister last week that I hoped it was not Jeffries who moves up to leader.

We'll see.

Sounds like you’ve come to some hasty negative views of Jeffries. I’m trying to figure out what he’s said that’s “trite”, and how even though you say the jury is out, you already have a strong enough negative opinion of him to say you hope he’s not leader.
Frank Apisa

Sun 20 Nov, 2022 05:13 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Jury is still out for me on Jeffries. I've heard him speak on many
topics on MSNBC...and there are comments he makes that I like...and some I see as trite. I actually had mentioned to my sister last week that I hoped it was not Jeffries who moves up to leader.

We'll see.

Sounds like you’ve come to some hasty negative views of Jeffries. I’m trying to figure out what he’s said that’s “trite”, and how even though you say the jury is out, you already have a strong enough negative opinion of him to say you hope he’s not leader.

Snood, I am not going to search my memory for the history of my attitude toward Jeffries. He is a frequent guest on MSNBC...and there have been many times were I felt his comments were top of the line...right on the button. There were others where I thought of them as missing the mark. But whether hitting the nail on its head or missing the nail completely, there was always a feeling that his interests were more on where he was going politically...than on the issue he was addressing. (Granted, that is a common fault in many politicians.)

The guy will undoubtedly acquit himself well if confirmed to the job. It also is my opinion that there is nobody who will come close to being as effective as was Pelosi. Her loss to the left is huge.

If your concerns are occasioned by the fact that he is an African-American and that I may be expressing an anti-African-American bias, I assure you that is not the case.
0 Replies

tinylantern

Sat 17 Dec, 2022 02:16 pm
Wow, haven't seen that before
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Thu 5 Jan, 2023 02:35 pm
Pelosi says GOP is on their own
Quote:
Just before Kevin McCarthy lost for the eighth time in the race for House speaker, former Democratic Speaker Nancy Pelosi said there was no chance the Democrats would switch their vote to help McCarthy win and allow the chamber to move forward.

“I think what you are seeing is an incredibly shrinking speakership in terms of all the deals that are being made, and that is most unfortunate,” Pelosi told reporters. “They have to elect a leader from their ranks. We can help on policy. That's our responsibility to find common ground on policy and even on some of that process ... but they have to select their leader first.”

Mame

Thu 5 Jan, 2023 02:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
"... they have to select their leader first."

What are the possibilities here?

The Fractious Faction stick to their guns and government is shut down.
McCarthy gives the Fractious Faction what they want and he is elected.
Six vote for Jeffries and a 'coalition' is formed.

Are these the only possibilities? What a crazy system.
engineer

Thu 5 Jan, 2023 03:05 pm
@Mame,
The probability that I thought would never arise but is now becoming more likely is that there will be a cross party coalition. Democrats ask for equal seats on committees, no politically motivated investigations, no government shutdowns (all of which are small asks that many Republican supporters would be ok with) and some more moderate Republican gets to be speaker, the rightmost wing of the Republicans get shut down completely.