10

Speaker Pelosi to step down from leadership position

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 12:15 pm
Big and welcomed news.
Speaker Pelosi says she will step down as party leader after two decades at the top

How many times did she lead the Democratic majority control over the House of Representatives and still manage to return to speaker of the house position after the party got it back years later? Once was enough. Once losing control of the House back in 2010? The party should have never given her the speakership (?) again in 2019.

Lash

-1  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 01:40 pm
Bye, Felicia.

engineer

1  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 01:48 pm
From Politico

Nancy Pelosi, one of the most powerful speakers in modern U.S. history, will cede the helm of House Democratic leadership after 20 years and take on an unfamiliar role: Rank-and-file member.

Since she reclaimed the top gavel in 2018, the first woman speaker — whose legislative prowess has powered her party’s agenda under four presidents — planned to give it up after this term. Yet her decision became more complicated, she has said, by the brutal assault of her husband Paul last month.

“I will not seek reelection to Democratic leadership in the next Congress,” Pelosi said to a packed chamber that remained pin-drop silent as members took in her decision.

Then Democrats’ better-than-expected midterm election prompted personal pleas for her to stay from the president and Senate majority leader.

But in a floor speech attended by nearly every member of her Democratic caucus, including plenty of teary allies, Pelosi declared it was time for a “new generation” of leaders. Clad in stark white, the color of suffragists and her hue of choice for critical moments, the California Democrat delivered her farewell speech within a chamber where she has been a part of Washington’s biggest moments for decades.

Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 02:31 pm
Pelosi...

...a great lady and a great leader.

People giving her grief should be ashamed of themselves.

It will be a while before we see someone of her quality running things in that chamber.

1  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 03:04 pm
Finally. DLTDHYOTWO

Real Music

3  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 09:34 pm
Thank you Speaker Pelosi. Smile

Thank you Madame Speaker for your years of leadership. Smile

Thank you Madame Speaker for your years of wonderful service to our nation. Smile

-4  
Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2022 11:20 pm
She acted pretty childish when Mr. Trump was president.

But she did well in helping the NRA to prevent the left from outlawing pistol grips again. That will always be in her favor.

Below viewing threshold (view)
jcboy

5  
Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 07:22 am
Kevin McCarthy will never be the powerhouse that Nancy was. I shudder thinking that he will 2nd in line to assume the presidency after the VP.

revelette1

3  
Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 07:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
I agree.

engineer

2  
Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 08:15 am
https://www.politico.com/dims4/default/b4ddda9/2147483647/resize/800x%3E/quality/90/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.politico.com%2Fe4%2F32%2Fb325d1c44b2b8b4cd5fca4f101a3%2F16-siers-charlotte-observer.jpg

revelette1

3  
Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 10:17 am
Speaker of the Establishment Hakeem Jeffries becoming House Democrats’ next leader is not necessarily a sign of progress.

(I don't know too much about this Intelligencer except it seems to be part of NY Mag. It seems to be a bit slanted leftward, progressive. Not saying there is anything necessarily wrong with that. )
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2022 11:28 am
@revelette1,
revelette1 wrote:

Jury is still out for me on Jeffries. I've heard him speak on many topics on MSNBC...and there are comments he makes that I like...and some I see as trite. I actually had mentioned to my sister last week that I hoped it was not Jeffries who moves up to leader.

We'll see.
bobsal u1553115

4  
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 08:26 am
@Agent Smith,
Agent Smith wrote:

I heard someone call the US political process a circus and a **** show! What gives?

Really? I heard you really don't give a ****.

snood

3  
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 02:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

Jury is still out for me on Jeffries. I've heard him speak on many
topics on MSNBC...and there are comments he makes that I like...and some I see as trite. I actually had mentioned to my sister last week that I hoped it was not Jeffries who moves up to leader.

We'll see.

Sounds like you’ve come to some hasty negative views of Jeffries. I’m trying to figure out what he’s said that’s “trite”, and how even though you say the jury is out, you already have a strong enough negative opinion of him to say you hope he’s not leader.
Frank Apisa

1  
Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2022 05:13 pm
@snood,
snood wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

revelette1 wrote:

We'll see.

Snood, I am not going to search my memory for the history of my attitude toward Jeffries. He is a frequent guest on MSNBC...and there have been many times were I felt his comments were top of the line...right on the button. There were others where I thought of them as missing the mark. But whether hitting the nail on its head or missing the nail completely, there was always a feeling that his interests were more on where he was going politically...than on the issue he was addressing. (Granted, that is a common fault in many politicians.)

The guy will undoubtedly acquit himself well if confirmed to the job. It also is my opinion that there is nobody who will come close to being as effective as was Pelosi. Her loss to the left is huge.

If your concerns are occasioned by the fact that he is an African-American and that I may be expressing an anti-African-American bias, I assure you that is not the case.