Great News on the Antifascist Front: Brazil Elects Lula, a Leftist Former Leader Wins in Brazil

Sun 30 Oct, 2022 05:13 pm
There is hope that the rising toxic tide of global fascism is slowing/weakening.
Brazil Elects Lula, a Leftist Former Leader, in a Rebuke of Bolsonaro
Lula beats President Bolsonaro to win Brazil election

Frank Apisa

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:05 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

There is hope that the rising toxic tide of global fascism is slowing/weakening.
Brazil Elects Lula, a Leftist Former Leader, in a Rebuke of Bolsonaro
Lula beats President Bolsonaro to win Brazil election

Yup. Ya gotta hope.

I'm interested in how Bolsonaro takes the loss...if he deals with it like a man...or goes Trump on it.

If he goes full Trump on it..."hope" may be in for a rough period.
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:59 am
@tsarstepan,
My dil is Brazilian.

We stayed up to watch the results. Great News for Brazil, the Amazon and the planet.
0 Replies

Mame

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 06:11 am
@Frank Apisa,
Exactly what I'm thinking re Bolsonaro. He's been making rumbling noises for a few weeks, so we'll see.
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 06:33 am
@Mame,
It started yesterday, in the northern provinces police stopped people voting.

My dil found out early on, but it was also in the Guardian later on.
Mame

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 06:56 am
@izzythepush,
Well, he hasn't conceded yet, so I expect trouble.
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 07:09 am
@Mame,
Fortunately all the surrounding countries are left leaning so he he will be very isolated if he tries anything.

The rush of World leaders rushing to congratulate Lula also puts Bolsanaro under pressure.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 07:25 am
Good piece from the Guardian about Bolsanaro's position.

Quote:
Brazil’s far-right president, Jair Bolsonaro, has fallen silent after his chastening election defeat to his leftist rival Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.

A stream of world leaders have stepped forward to recognize Lula’s stunning political comeback, including the US president, Joe Biden, the UK prime minister, Rishi Sunak, the Russian leader, Vladimir Putin, and China’s Communist party chief, Xi Jinping.

But Bolsonaro – a pro-dictatorship radical who has repeatedly hinted he might not accept defeat – has yet to concede.

His last message on Twitter – an excerpt from the book of Ephesians – was posted at two minutes before midnight on the eve of an election he went on to lose by a margin of more than 2m votes.

With 100% of votes counted, Lula secured 50.9% to Bolsonaro’s 49.10%. Lula received 60.3m votes while the rightwing incumbent had 58.2m.

The defeat makes Bolsonaro the first serving president in Brazilian history to be voted out of office. Lula will take over on 1 January 2023.

While Bolsonaro remained mute, key allies did accept the result in a sign that the populist’s power was rapidly ebbing away after four tumultuous years in office.

Silas Malafaia, a prominent televangelist who was one of Bolsonaro’s most vocal cheerleaders, tweeted: “The sovereign will of the people has established itself.”

Malafaia tweeted a quote from the British writer CS Lewis as his candidate’s defeat sunk in: “It is not your business to succeed, but to do right. When you have done so the rest lies with God.”

The newly elected pro-Bolsonaro governor of São Paulo, Tarcísio de Freitas, also recognized Lula’s win, telling journalists: “The election result is sovereign.”

Another key ally, the lower house leader Arthur Lira, said: “The will of the majority, expressed at the polls, should never be challenged.”

Even Sergio Moro, the pro-Bolsonaro judge who controversially jailed Lula in the lead-up to the 2018 election before taking a job in Bolsonaro’s cabinet, recognized the leftist’s victory.

“Thus is democracy,” Moro tweeted.

Ricardo Salles, Bolsonaro’s former environment minister, tweeted: “The result of the most polarized election in Brazil’s history prompts many reflections and the need to seek ways to pacify a country that is literally split in half. Now is the time for serenity.”

But Bolsonaro and his three politician sons remained tight-lipped on Monday morning. The news website UOL said he was “holed up” in the presidential residence in Brasília.

Some observers have voiced concern that Bolsonaro may follow in the footsteps of his US ally Donald Trump and refuse to accept defeat in a bid to keep his political movement alive.

The political commentator Bernardo Mello Franco tweeted: “One by one, Bolsonaristas recognize Lula’s victory. This leaves the president without the political support to attempt any kind of coup-style adventure.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/oct/31/brazil-election-bolsonaro-concede-reaction
Mame

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 03:45 pm
@izzythepush,
Well, the world and media weren't able to stop Trump's lies and efforts to upset the results. Depends on how deluded and ballsy Bolsonaro is.
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 03:47 pm
@Mame,
It does, but today isn't a day for pessimism.

Lula has just won.

And Trump was stopped.

Biden is president.
Mame

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:02 pm
@izzythepush,
That's not like you Smile Well, I'm tentatively happy for you
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:06 pm
@Mame,
All my fears were in Bolsanaro legitimately winning, because there's nothing we could do about that.

Bolsanaro trying to cling on can be dealt with. He's isolated with few allies in the region.
izzythepush

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:07 pm
@izzythepush,
And, my dil is over the effing moon.

I don't want to rain on her parade.
Mame

Mon 31 Oct, 2022 04:40 pm
@izzythepush,
I hope it all goes peacefully. I hope Lula does something about those miles of shanty towns but won't hold my breath. The poverty there is something awful.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Tue 1 Nov, 2022 07:23 am
@Mame,
It takes more than will and balls. He'll need a lot of stroke and I just don't think he's got it. Trump sure doesn't have it anymore. The Mojo for both of them took a train and beat it.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Mon 9 Jan, 2023 04:14 pm
Bad news update:
Why Jair Bolsonaro left Brazil for Florida (and what Biden can do about it)
Quote:
Hundreds of supporters of former Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro stormed public government buildings on Sunday, calling for the military to take over Brazil's government after spending more than two months denying the results of the country's presidential election.
0 Replies