New Threat - Infant Terrorists

Linkat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 03:41 pm
Infants have been stopped from boarding planes at airports throughout the U.S. because their names are the same as or similar to those of possible terrorists on the government's "no-fly list."

Ingrid Sanden's 1-year-old daughter was stopped in Phoenix before boarding a flight home to Washington at Thanksgiving. "I completely understand the war on terrorism, and I completely understand people wanting to be safe when they fly," Sanden said. "But focusing the target a little bit is probably a better use of resources."

Critics including the American Civil Liberties Union say the government doesn't provide enough information about the people on the lists, so innocent passengers can be caught up in the security sweep if they happen to have the same name as someone on the lists.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/washington/articles/2005/08/15/babies_caught_up_in_no_fly_confusion/

O-K, does this scare anyone? These people are not smart enough to realize that an infant is not a threat? They are our security - and they are incapable of deciding that an infant is not the person on the "no-fly list?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 739 • Replies: 10
No top replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:09 pm
This is what happens when you let technology do all the thinking for you.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:12 pm
This is the same as the woman who was stopped and made to drink her own breast milk by a security guard . The guard was under the impression it was poison..
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 05:45 pm
kickycan wrote:
This is what happens when you let technology do all the thinking for you.

...or just stop thinking altogether.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 08:32 pm
Kicky - Couldn't have said it better myself.

SheWolf - Are you serious? Oh Jeez, where have I been!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 10:06 am
What I heard about the breast milk was she had the option of giving it up or drinking it to show that it was not anything dangerous. Anyone who has ever pumped knows that stuff is like gold. I would have drank a little to get the idiot to let me keep this precious commodity.

Once when traveling - I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant with my 3 year old and my husband. I understand that they make random stops, but they did pull me aside. Fortunately I only had to remove my shoes and allow them to wave an electronic wand over my body.

I am also traveling with my two children in a couple of weeks - hopefully they won't suspect my two year of terrorist actions. The six year old maybe a threat though.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:09 am
I recall my daughter giving one of the screeners holy hell because he insisted she take off her shoes -- even tried to do it for her, at which time she kicked at him like a wild animal. I thought it was funny, but he didn't.

<edit> she was just barely two at the time </edit>
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 11:17 am
Well I understand why he did it. Your 2 year old seemed a threat - with a mean kick like that what else is capable of?

Really though what kind of idiot would try to take the shoes off a 2 year old that he didn't know? I taught my daughter that if a stranger tried to touch her or grab her to bite, scratch, kick and scream. Strangers should never attempt to touch a child in any way unless a parent first lets them and the child know it is o-k.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 12:42 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I recall my daughter giving one of the screeners holy hell because he insisted she take off her shoes -- even tried to do it for her, at which time she kicked at him like a wild animal. I thought it was funny, but he didn't.

<edit> she was just barely two at the time </edit>

Good for her. At least you know she understands what to do when a stranger touches her. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 01:04 pm
Yep, I was actually somewhat proud of her. He did finally give up and wave a wand over them while deftly avoiding facial contact.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Tue 16 Aug, 2005 04:10 pm
Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised to see some sick fool actually stick something harmful in the hands of a child in order to get what they want to achieve. That's stooping pretty low, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear it on the headlines tomorrow: "Terrorist hides grenade in toddler's Pull Ups." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies