Cindy Sheehan's Victory

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
And here I wear a shirt and tie to work every day. Hmm.

I'm not saying you don't wear the uniform of the establishment, but I am saying you wish you could have run naked through a mud puddle at Woodstock.

Um, not really. It sounds like it would have been fun, to visit, but I'm hardly a flower child. Don't pigeonhole me into a category that existed 10 years before I was even born; I am thoroughly modernized and can see both the good and the bad of the hippy movement.

Quote:
Quote:
You are correct that I have and will attend anti-war demonstrations; because that is the power of the people, and it is my duty as an American to excerise that power. It isn't as if my opinions matter in any other way, except for the ballot box.

Peace, love, dope, "turn on, tune in, drop out" ... power to the people!. Groovy.

Shrug. I don't know what this means.

Quote:
Quote:
Cheers, though! I always imagined you as the frowning guy who just doesn't understand why the hippies are having such a good time as he walks to work.....

Cycloptichorn

Laughing No ... you were probably right before.

I AM the stuffed shirt walking by frowning at the hippies loitering outside the courthouse desperately sucking on a cigarette for the few minutes they have during the recess of their jury trial, thinking, "There but for the grace of God ...."

But, hey .... I do like Pink Floyd. Maybe I'm a repressed pothead?

Maybe. I gave up cigs a long time ago (more than a year now) and I have a clean legal record. I'm not sure I fit into your picture of me at all, really.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:12 am
Okay ... one last queston: Did you run out and buy the new VW Beetle?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
No, though I believe it does have some good design elements. The usage of the arch really adds a lot to the headroom inside the things.

Of course, that doesn't stop it from looking silly and girly. The built in, non-optional dashboard flower vase is, of course, the ultimate deal breaker for me.

I'm even worse than you imagine, though; I don't intend to buy any car. I don't own one right now (though my last two were a 1972 mustang that I rebuilt with my dad and a 1970 Chevelle with a 454, black on red, whew was it fast) and what with gas and insurance these days I figure it's much cheaper to do what I do: rent a lincoln towncar one weekend a month for $65 and take my bicycle everywhere else.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:04 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
No, though I believe it does have some good design elements. The usage of the arch really adds a lot to the headroom inside the things.

Of course, that doesn't stop it from looking silly and girly. The built in, non-optional dashboard flower vase is, of course, the ultimate deal breaker for me.

I actually thought that would have clinched the deal for you.

The vase, I mean ... not that it looks silly & girly. Razz

Quote:
I'm even worse than you imagine, though; I don't intend to buy any car. I don't own one right now (though my last two were a 1972 mustang that I rebuilt with my dad and a 1970 Chevelle with a 454, black on red, whew was it fast) and what with gas and insurance these days I figure it's much cheaper to do what I do: rent a lincoln towncar one weekend a month for $65 and take my bicycle everywhere else.

Cycloptichorn

Do you also eat granola?

Seriously though, does Austin have a good public transportation system ... light rail or something? Or are you just within bike distance of what you need?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:16 pm
cy- i used to know a guy in austin who biked everywhere...wow in that heat, don't know how you do it...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:26 pm
Austin has a great public transport system.
Not comparable to NY. But about 30% of the routes run 24-7
It isnt unrealistic to NOT own a car in this city
The heat? Yeah Cy- that.. i dont see how you handle ! Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:50 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I actually thought that would have clinched the deal for you.

The vase, I mean ... not that it looks silly & girly. Razz

Quote:

Cycloptichorn

Do you also eat granola?

Seriously though, does Austin have a good public transportation system ... light rail or something? Or are you just within bike distance of what you need?

Part of it is smart planning. When I decided that I didn't want to buy a car in the near future I started looking around for a house that wasn't too far from my work, not far from the grocery store, not far from a mall, not far from downtown. And it really wasn't that hard.

The heat is an issue, I guess; but only at first. After a while, I don't even notice anymore. Today on the way to work it was a cool 90 degrees outside. I bought a Camelbak and frankly it is a lifesaver.

I don't eat granola but I do get a fruit-and-nut mix to snack on throughout the day. One of the bonuses to not driving the car is that you get in shape; I bought the bicycle about 5 months ago and have ridden 650 miles in that time, dropped five or six pounds, and best of all I feel great.

Of course, not everyone is able to live this life; but a hell of a lot of people could, and don't, because they are slaves to their automobiles and to their cushy, relaxed existences. Others have 30 mile commutes, which is impractical on a bike. But, I believe if you can make a conscious effort to do something that is good for yourself, for the community, and for the environment, you should do so.

Austin has a fine public transportation system that runs pretty much all over town. As an employee of the University I ride for free, and I can throw the old bike on front of the bus; once I do that, there's about a 30-mile diamater circle that I can access with ease.

I figure I'm ahead of the curve; wait until gas prices REALLY start to go up. Then the bike lanes are going to get all crowded Evil or Very Mad

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 02:56 pm
we are not too far from 100 dollar a barrel mark.. >sigh<.

Bike lanes, sidewalks and buses will be full then.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 06:50 pm
Chrissee wrote:
CoastalRat wrote:
Sounds like you had an interesting time Cy.

But you know, and I loathe to point this out, but I would expect that the Iraq veterans you talked to there would paint a picture of things that you would say were "simply incredible." I mean, come on, it is a war protest, right? They would not be there if they supported the ongoing efforts, so I don't think it surprising that you would get negative reports.

Of course, since I value all reports of what is going on there, I would love to have you tell us some of what you were told. I would find it interesting to hear what they had to say since nearly all I hear from the veterans I know has been pretty incredible also, but from a more positive standpoint.

I WAS THERE!!!!!!!
I was a USN corpsman with the marines during the initial invasion.
I lost 2 fingers off of my right hand trying to save a woman and her child.

I have many friends still there,with the marines.
They tell me about the 3400 new hospitals and clinics that have been built,they rell me about all of the schools that have been built or refurbished.
They tell me that ALL of the kids under 5 have been fully inoculated against all of the childhood diseases.
They tell me that most of he rest of the kids there have gotten their inoculations also.
They tell me that there is more electricity now then there was before the war.

I could go on,but you would refuse to believe it because it doesnt fit your agenda.
What are your veteran friends saying specifically about Iraq that is positive? When were they there and what specifically did they do? An how do you know them?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 07:31 pm
I dont know how that happened.

Just so people know,everything from I WAS THERE down was written by me,not Chrissee.
I dont know how I messed that up,but I did.

Sorry.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 08:01 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
The heat is an issue, I guess; but only at first. After a while, I don't even notice anymore. Today on the way to work it was a cool 90 degrees outside. I bought a Camelbak and frankly it is a lifesaver.

I don't eat granola but I do get a fruit-and-nut mix to snack on throughout the day. One of the bonuses to not driving the car is that you get in shape; I bought the bicycle about 5 months ago and have ridden 650 miles in that time, dropped five or six pounds, and best of all I feel great.

Of course, not everyone is able to live this life; but a hell of a lot of people could, and don't, because they are slaves to their automobiles and to their cushy, relaxed existences. Others have 30 mile commutes, which is impractical on a bike. But, I believe if you can make a conscious effort to do something that is good for yourself, for the community, and for the environment, you should do so.

ok but seriously, with a shirt and tie on, how do you not smell by the time you get to work...

oh that and being a UT grad...GO HORNS!!!! ohio state is going down!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 23 Aug, 2005 09:55 pm
Heh. I don't wear the shirt and tie, I change when I get there. There's a dry cleaners a block away from my office; I worked a nice deal out with the owners and go twice a week for a pretty low price.

The Ohio State game this year will be an awesome game. Then they come here next year; I finally applaud the pre-season scheduling.

Cheers

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:10 am
mysteryman wrote:

Just so people know,everything from I WAS THERE down was written by me,not Chrissee.

Sorry.

I don't know how it happened either, but would you please go back and edit it to correctly show who wrote that?

Please?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 08:13 am
Ohio State ... <pfffft>

You need to worry about KU.
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:21 am
KU? are you kidding me? Wink ok wait, we got away from the main theme of the thread...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
dragon49 wrote:
KU? are you kidding me? Wink ok wait, we got away from the main theme of the thread...

We were talking about basketball, right?

Very Happy

Is this off-topic?
0 Replies

dragon49

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:02 pm
ok, basketball sure, i'll concede that. i hate basketball. vince young, though, gonna do some damage this year!!!! we are ranked #2 i think? Smile
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 03:55 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Sorry.

I don't know how it happened either, but would you please go back and edit it to correctly show who wrote that?

Please?

I would,if I knew how.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:01 pm
#2, that's right. We'll find out if we deserve it or not.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 04:04 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Sorry.

Please?

Ok,I think I fixed it.
0 Replies