Rest here.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,294 • Replies: 62
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:28 am
Har! Democratic underground... imagine that.

How come none of you have flown down to support Sheehan and the political lampooning of her son's death she is presiding over?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:31 am
McG
McGentrix wrote:
Har! Democratic underground... imagine that.

How come none of you have flown down to support Sheehan and the political lampooning of her son's death she is presiding over?

McG, have you ever thought of shutting yer yap?

BBB
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
Oh let the little dog yap, Bumble.

A response like that means less than nothing (and he knows it).
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
What's wrong BBB? Sheehan can protest and be praised as some kind of hero by the Bush haters, but McG makes a statement of protest about her protest and you want him to shut up?

Seems to me McG has just as much right to ridicule her protest as you do to praise it. But of course, that is simply my humble opinion.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:46 am
Quote:

I went there on Sun. and came back for work this morning. I would suggest those in Texas to do the same, if you have an opportunity.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 10:47 am
I didn't get to talk to Cindy Sheenan but I did talk to a whole bunch of Iraq War veterans, and let me tell ya, the things they had to say were simply incredible.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:38 am
http://www.bartcop.com/cindy-gone-yet.jpg
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:40 am
Sounds like you had an interesting time Cy.

But you know, and I loathe to point this out, but I would expect that the Iraq veterans you talked to there would paint a picture of things that you would say were "simply incredible." I mean, come on, it is a war protest, right? They would not be there if they supported the ongoing efforts, so I don't think it surprising that you would get negative reports.

Of course, since I value all reports of what is going on there, I would love to have you tell us some of what you were told. I would find it interesting to hear what they had to say since nearly all I hear from the veterans I know has been pretty incredible also, but from a more positive standpoint.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 11:53 am
What I get a kick out of is this:

Bush decamps on his ranch for weeks at a time, and normally, the reporters have to hang out there and wait for canned news from the ranch, or they get to go on bike rides with Bush, watch him clear brush, etc.

Now, Sheehan and her group are there, and there's something new to cover. Is she getting more attention than she would get otherwise? Probably. But it's poetic justice, and Bush is a virtual hostage unless he ducks out early to attend to some made-up crisis in DC. Stay tuned!
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:02 pm
Well, these gentlemen, as you say, were obviously not there to talk good about the war.

The two things that were mentioned to me by pretty much every soldier I talked to were:

1. Sand

2. Nightmares.

Apparently we have no clue what a 'sand storm' really means. Some of the guys said they are phobic about even being a little sandy these days and most of them said that they'll never take a shower for granted again.

I spent about half an hour (and half a case of PBR) with two snipers who had done time in Iraq. They were strange guys; intense, quiet. They weren't there to criticize Bush, really (like many of the soldiers I met) they had the most derision for Rumsfeld and the senior leaders of the Armed forces, who they feel should have known better than to let the politicos get the soldiers into such a mess.

There was a lot of talk about cleaning out a city or area of insurgents and having them move right back in once the troops left. One of the snipers said he actually shot the same guy twice, on two different days; the first time he twitched and hit the guy in the arm, the second time (three weeks later) he got him. I asked how he could be sure it was the same guy and he laughed a little and told me 'you can't mistake a mustache like this guy had, no way.'

Both of the snipers were headed back. Both of them were pretty upset about it though they didn't show it too much; just a quiet resignation. They wondered whether we would go to war with Iran, they said there's a lot of talk about it in the 'theater' by which I guess they meant Iraq.

I'll post more later

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:04 pm
http://www.bartcop.com/po050629.gif
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:20 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I didn't get to talk to Cindy Sheenan but I did talk to a whole bunch of Iraq War veterans, and let me tell ya, the things they had to say were simply incredible.

Cycloptichorn

Oh do get over yourself. If you really did go, then give us some real details or photos of your alleged visit. Personally I don't believe 9 out of 10 things said by people claiming to have gone somewhere. I could just as easily say 'late last night I turned to my Jerry Falwell poster and asked him the meaning of life and he told me everything just before we blasted off on a rocketship to the planet Sdrompula in a matter of seconds and we picnicked there until dawn' Yup, that sounds as plausible to me as your tale.

Further more it is a military action and nobody said it was going to be a great and fun old time. They enlisted, they damm well ought to keep their yaps shut since this is the same sort of thing which ended up killing thousands of young men in the VietNam war. All the negativity from home gets heaped upon the people who want to stand up for their country and they are continually berated for having patriotism.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:23 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Well, these gentlemen, as you say, were obviously not there to talk good about the war.

The two things that were mentioned to me by pretty much every soldier I talked to were:

1. Sand

2. Nightmares.

Apparently we have no clue what a 'sand storm' really means. Some of the guys said they are phobic about even being a little sandy these days and most of them said that they'll never take a shower for granted again.

I spent about half an hour (and half a case of PBR) with two snipers who had done time in Iraq. They were strange guys; intense, quiet. They weren't there to criticize Bush, really (like many of the soldiers I met) they had the most derision for Rumsfeld and the senior leaders of the Armed forces, who they feel should have known better than to let the politicos get the soldiers into such a mess.

There was a lot of talk about cleaning out a city or area of insurgents and having them move right back in once the troops left. One of the snipers said he actually shot the same guy twice, on two different days; the first time he twitched and hit the guy in the arm, the second time (three weeks later) he got him. I asked how he could be sure it was the same guy and he laughed a little and told me 'you can't mistake a mustache like this guy had, no way.'

Both of the snipers were headed back. Both of them were pretty upset about it though they didn't show it too much; just a quiet resignation. They wondered whether we would go to war with Iran, they said there's a lot of talk about it in the 'theater' by which I guess they meant Iraq.

I'll post more later

Cycloptichorn

Thanks Cy. I can't imagine what a sand storm in Iraq is like, but I bet it would be pretty intense. The never taking a shower for granted again is something I have heard from several of my military friends who have been there. We don't always think about the comforts that our military people give up when deployed in a war zone. Just one more reason to appreciate their service.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:24 pm
I was enjoying your post, Sturgis, until that business about keeping yaps shut. But seriously...

Did the Falwell poster really talk to you? Or, more to the point, do you really have a Falwell pin-up at home?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Oh do get over yourself. If you really did go, then give us some real details or photos of your alleged visit. Personally I don't believe 9 out of 10 things said by people claiming to have gone somewhere. I could just as easily say 'late last night I turned to my Jerry Falwell poster and asked him the meaning of life and he told me everything just before we blasted off on a rocketship to the planet Sdrompula in a matter of seconds and we picnicked there until dawn' Yup, that sounds as plausible to me as your tale.

Further more it is a military action and nobody said it was going to be a great and fun old time. They enlisted, they damm well ought to keep their yaps shut since this is the same sort of thing which ended up killing thousands of young men in the VietNam war. All the negativity from home gets heaped upon the people who want to stand up for their country and they are continually berated for having patriotism.

Define patriotism.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:27 pm
D'artagnan wrote:
Or, more to the point,do you really have a Falwell pin-up at home?

Doesn't everyone?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:28 pm
Sturgis wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Sturgis, I really doubt Cy cares if you believe him or not. As a Bush supporter, I have been totally behind the effort in Iraq. And yes, I get a bit dismayed when people here can't seem to do anything except make fun of Bush, call him a liar, etc. And trust me, Cy and I agree on very little when it comes to political thought. But, I think we go too far in calling him a liar about going to Crawford.

Are you accusing him of lying perhaps because you too have stretched things here in the past? If you want people to take you at your word, it may be a good idea to take others at their word unless and until information comes out otherwise.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:31 pm
Oh my gosh, did I just do that? I supported a liberal on A2K???

I hope I haven't just broken any rules. Time to go home and re-read my Falwell biography while listening to Rush. Gotta get my head back on straight. Laughing
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 12:51 pm
Well, I used to be more conservative, before the Bushco era, so think about it as a favor to a former teammate.

Sturgis,

Of course, I still await a single piece of the "Mounds and mounds of documents" that you have to show that the Bushco isn't Pro-torture. I refer to your claims made here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1490763#1490763

What was the saying again...?? Oh yes. Put up or shut up.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies