Ex wants to split stuff up equally during break up. I don’t.

neptuneblue

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 01:40 pm
@mcgree,
Because not doing so is aggressively mean spirited. At the time she gave away her furniture, it was to build a life with you. To now lord that over her head is just mean. And wrong. It's like you are deliberately trying to hurt her in the most torturous way possible.

It's bad decorum and looks very poorly upon you.
mcgree

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 02:04 pm
@neptuneblue,
Maybe I’m just being dense, but that still sounds like it would be the best just for her, not the best for both of us.

I’m not trying to hurt I just want to keep my stuff.
Mame

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 02:09 pm
@mcgree,
If you can live with your selfish self after treating her that way. What would it hurt to share the furniture with her? Or give her some money to buy her own? What do you think your mother's, grandmothers, and future girlfriend's response to your attitude and behaviour be? Would they be proud of you?

It's just stuff and money. You'll make and get more.
engineer

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 02:44 pm
@jespah,
I don't think that's a fair description. The OP is talking to his ex about this, not "sneaking out like a thief". I can see wanting to keep the furniture you have owned for years. I think most people would want to take out what they brought into the relationship and honestly, I can see wanting to discuss the stuff you bought jointly but I don't see her wanting your furniture. If a guy was trying to lay claim to his ex-girlfriend's furniture because they had lived together for three years, I think we would all tell him to pack sand. That said, giving her some money towards buying new stuff might be a compromise position if you are looking to walk away from this with no regrets. Giving her some of the big items that you have no attachment to might make more sense than trying to move it across country. I suppose it depends on your financial position.
jespah

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 02:50 pm
@engineer,
I have zero problem with him keeping his stuff. It's his.

But just bailing like this? It's blindsiding.

The gal will go off to work assuming everything is fine, and come home to an apartment with no bed.
0 Replies

mcgree

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 03:06 pm
@Mame,
I guess I am just very attached to some of my things. It doesn't feel like just money and stuff. Like the tv is just a thing. It cost a lot more money than my other stuff, but I don't really care about it like the furniture.

I don't have the money right now to replace them or give to her because I have to pay for a down payment and first/ last months rent for my new place as well as rent for her apartment for three months.

I can say I definitely don't give a **** what my family would think. They're drunk assholes that kicked me out of the house when I was 16.

RPhalange

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 03:18 pm
@engineer,
He said this "She’s at work all day and I’m thinking of just packing up and moving everything and leaving tomorrow while she’s gone."

So yeah one could interpret it to be "sneaking out like a thief." He might have talked to her about it, however, he is thinking of just leaving without discussing it any more.

But like jespah, he can do whatever he wants. Just his comments do sound a bit like a jerk and he did ask for an unbiased opinion. So my opinion is to work it out as amicable as you can rather than sneak out.

I also agree with you in, I cannot imagine wanting my ex's furniture even if it was nice. It's your ex, why would you want anything of his?

And I can understand if there is some underlining reason why you love your furniture; some sort of sentimental reason behind that why you would want to keep it.

There to me, seem to be something that you could both discuss and compromise on. Does she have the means to buy new things for herself? It is tough right now with all the lack of inventory, everything is more expensive and harder to get.
0 Replies

Elexor

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 03:49 pm
@mcgree,
Out of curiosity how old are both of you?
mcgree

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 04:30 pm
@Elexor,
I'm 23. My ex is 28.
Mame

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 05:52 pm
@mcgree,
Well, let us know what you did and how it went.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Mon 22 Aug, 2022 08:21 pm
@mcgree,
mcgree wrote:

I don't have the money right now to replace them or give to her because I have to pay for a down payment and first/ last months rent for my new place as well as rent for her apartment for three months.

He's paying her rent for 3 months, that's enough in my book. He asked her to move with him and she declined - that ended the relationship. He owes her nothing and paying rent for 3 months is plenty.

People split on a lot less and I don't see him as "dick" - he's 23 years old and
moving on with his live - she's 5 years older and obviously wants to do the same, otherwise she had made a different decision.
0 Replies

PoliteMight

Tue 23 Aug, 2022 07:05 am
His property. Get out ASAP, leave her a note "Thanks for the sex, you want more you could reach me at this number" Leave a rebate for "Beds Baths and Beyond" or "Ikea" sales with a twenty in a deep narrow obtuse narrow jar.

0 Replies

Begaid

Wed 14 Dec, 2022 09:12 am
@jespah,
1. Ex wants to split stuff up evenly during breakup. I don't.
I'm not sure if I want to get back together with my ex. We were together for about 2 years. He was really good to me. But he cheated on me with someone else. I know he's still seeing her. I just don't know how to handle things right now. I think we should split everything 50/50. I don't want him to have any of our stuff. I don't even want him to have half of what I own. I feel like he would take advantage of me.
2. Ex wants to split things up evenly during breakup.
I'm not ready to move on yet. I've been thinking about him a lot lately. I miss him. I wish we could go back to where we left off. I don't want to hurt him anymore. I don't want us to fight over stupid ****. I don't want anything to do with his family either. I don't want them to know I'm dating anyone. I don't want my friends to know either. I don't care what they think. I just want to be happy again. I want to be able to trust him again. I want to believe he's changed. I want to believe that he doesn't want to hurt me anymore. I want to believe in love. I want to believe it exists. I want to believe we're meant to be together forever. I want to believe I'll find someone who loves me as much as he does. I want to believe there's someone out there who won't cheat on me. I want to believe someone will love me enough to stay with me no matter what. I want to believe.
3. Ex wants to split up things evenly during breakup.
We broke up last week. I told him I didn't want to talk to him anymore. I told him I wanted to be alone. I told him I wasn't going to call him. I told him I wouldn't text him. I told him he couldn't contact me. I told him I'd never forgive him. I told him to leave me alone. I told him he had to stop calling me. I told him he'd have to stop texting me. I told him to stop talking to me. I told him we weren't getting back together. I told him I hated him. I told him we were done. I told him I was moving on. I told him I wished him nothing but bad luck. I told him I hoped he got hit by a car. I told him I hope he dies. I told him I hate him. I told him it was over. I told him I loved him. I told him goodbye. I told him I forgave him. I told him sorry. I told him I understood. I told him I knew he didn't mean to hurt me. I told him it wasn't his fault. I told him I
bobsal u1553115

Wed 14 Dec, 2022 06:29 pm
@Begaid,
It's only stuff. Do you want to get on with your life or fight about simple possessions for the next however long?
0 Replies