General relieved of command for relationship

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 12:19 pm
4 star general relieved of command

This general was relieved of command just before retirement because of an 'inappropriate relationship' with a civilian. I don't know the details, except that the command relief happened the same day his divorce went through.

Hmm, suppose they'd gotten rid of Eisenhower..

This seems quite harsh to me. What do you think?

Edit to say it was the command relief and not the affair that happened as the divorce came through.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 821 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:38 pm
There's gotta be more to this than we've been told, Osso. A sexual indiscretion is hardly the sort of thing that gets a 4-star flag officer relieved of command. We haven't been told with whom he had this 'inappropriate relationship.' He may have stepped on some toes that outrank his toes. Just a guess, of course.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:44 pm
Maybe it was one of those "don't ask , don't tell " kind of affairs...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
Hmm. I didn't take it that way, Lion, not that I see that as a different matter, but I suppose they do. I'll go back and reread the link, which for those who haven't checked it out, was from this morning's Washington Post. That did say he'd had a marriage separation since something like mid 2004.

It seemed to have more info than a similar but different article in the NYTimes.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:33 pm
I reread and I suppose that's a possibility, Lion. But then again, maybe not.

I'll be the first to admit I am perplexed by the military ways, sometimes, if not all, daughter of a colonel that I am, but my family association was long ago. Thirty six years and you don't get to have an affair? The rigidity, heh, seems leftover from Spy in the Cold days....
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:30 pm
There is something a bit hinky about all of this .

Could just be the new world order or something.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 06:19 am
Yeah, I thought of the homosexual possibility as well, LionTamer. But even if it's hetero, if he was having a fling with, say, a powerful Senator's wife, that could put a serious crimp in his career, especially of the Senator was on a committee that has some clout in the Pentagon. Of course, this is all speculation. They're not going to tell the press anything that they don't wish to be general knowledge.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 10:03 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/11/politics/11general.html?th=&emc=th&pagewanted=print

Well, the relationship was with a woman, and he has told friends it began after separation from his wife (but before he filed for divorce). I suppose it is an ordinary story and that, as some people surmise, it was done to not discriminate between ranks when people don't follow the military rules.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 11 Aug, 2005 02:29 pm
Still doesn't add up.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 09:45 am
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/08/13/politics/13general.html?th&emc=th

still too weird..
I'm not implying this is any different than it seems on the surface. But that he can't call her?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 02:10 pm
Somebody had it in for this guy. They found a perfect pretext in the adultery charge. It just has to be more than that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2005 04:52 pm
Another thread on this subject, which goes more into the political aspects mentioned in the Washington Post article..
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1513261#1513261
0 Replies

Jack Webbs

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 12:02 am
General must have really caused some problems. This business is not common but it happens. I am familiar with two incidents and both got attention because they involved fraternization and were prejudicial to good order and discipline. Woman Lt. was a party girl and everything went fine until she started banging some NCOs. She was booted out. The other guy was a Col. Group Commander that flew a woman 2ndLt. with him everyplace he went. He had been warned more than once. He was forced to retire by the Wing CG with no official scandal or reprimand.
0 Replies