Cheney v. Clinton 2008?

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:50 am
According to Woodward, the match up in 2008 will be Cheney v. Clinton.

Quote:
Woodward: Cheney to run in '08
By Troy Hooper
Special to The Denver Post

Aspen - Renowned journalist Bob Woodward predicts Dick Cheney will be the Republican Party's presidential nominee in 2008 and that the vice president could face Democratic Sen. Hillary Clinton in a dramatic partisan showdown.

Speaking in the Paepcke Auditorium as part of the Aspen Institute's McCloskey Speaker Series, Woodward on Tuesday listed a number of reasons it is "highly likely" President Bush might implore Cheney to seek the Oval Office.

"He would be 67 if he ran and was elected. Reagan was 69. Republicans always like the old warhorse. ... Nixon was 68," said Woodward, best known for exposing the Watergate scandal that led to Richard Nixon's resignation in 1974. "Both parties like to nominate vice presidents. ... Cheney would do it, and I think it's highly likely, so stay tuned."

Source

If correct, which way would you vote?

What do you think of Cheney running?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,789 • Replies: 70
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 07:52 am
clinton.. :-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:19 am
Ugh, what a choice :-(
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:23 am
Ugh, my greatest fear come true. As I said in another thread, this is the only scenario I can think of that would get me to vote for Clinton. I'm not positive I could even do it then, but I could never vote for Cheney.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
Yeah, I think I would like a third choice. I could never bring myself to vote for Hillary, even if she were the only one on the ballot. I'm not real thrilled with Cheney either. Maybe I'll vote for McCain as a write-in. lol
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:25 am
Not sure it wopuld happen given the GOP history with McCain, but perhaps Cheney would choose McCain as vice. I think that would make a HUGE difference for the GOP.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:35 am
I agree it probably would Squinney. It would tilt me toward voting for Cheney. If all else fails, maybe I'll just vote for you as a write-in candidate. Although I don't know......seems we tend to disagree on a lot of stuff.....maybe I'll just have to vote for myself. That would solve my quandary.
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:43 am
Not sure what Woodward is smoking, but Cheney isn't running, nor would he allow himself to be 'talked into it'.

I'd certainly vote for him if he did run, but I'm glad he's said he won't. I couldn't bear to see this good and decent man slimed by the looney left any more than he has been already.

I predict the Dems won't see anyone of their choosing in the WH for decades. Suits me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:51 am
I think JW actually makes a pretty good point.

The match up of Cheney / Clinton would continue the party affiliation divisiveness which we should all know by now is NOT serving us well.

I also think it's what the politicians want. The divisiveness serves them perfectly.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:57 am
Yeah, I don't think Cheney has any intention of running. It really would surprise me totally if he did.

Actually, I am hoping that we get some fresh faces running this next time. I think we are all tired of the Clintons, Bushes, etc.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:57 am
BBB
Squinney wrote: "According to Woodward, the match up in 2008 will be Cheney v. Clinton."

I think I will move to New Zealand!

BBB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 08:59 am
It seems like Cheney has way too many health issues to be a viable candidate.

If it were Cheney vs. someone else (Obama, I dunno, someone) I'd be happy because I think it would give the someone else a good chance. But Clinton? No.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 09:01 am
Adding McCain to the ticket would sway some, but it wouldn't sway me enough to vote for Cheney. Even given his health history, I couldn't vote for him hoping his VP would get the seat.

I really don't think Cheney will run. If he does, I don't think the Dems have anyone that can beat him, unless they can get McCain to realign which isn't very likely.

Obama might be ready in 2012, but I think he's too new to take a national election in 2008, especially against the Fundy Right.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:02 am
Cheney has no intention of running (for health reasons alone)........That old ticker could go at any time....?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:32 am
He's had something like four heart attacks, including at least one during his Vice Presidential years, and a condition euphemistically referred to "circulatory condition making it difficult for him to use one side of his body".

Which most people think fits the medical definitiion of a stroke.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:34 am
this guy just needs to run home, like he ran from service in Vietnam.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:37 am
As I recall, Cheney wasn't a VP candidate either....

Perhaps they will put him in charge of finding the GOP a presidential candidate and he will again choose himself. And if so, and if Clinton is the only other candidate on the ticket, I'd have to hold my nose and vote for her.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:40 am
Somehow, being the front man doesn't seem Cheney's style. He does the smirk down, though, for those voters who want to retain that look in the White House...
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:43 am
I would think he would want to run back to private life so he can re-hook up with Halliburton after a suitable waiting period.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 10 Aug, 2005 10:50 am
kelticwizard wrote:
I would think he would want to run back to private life so he can re-hook up with Halliburton after a suitable waiting period.

I respectfully disagree. In order to re-hook up, he'd of had to be off the payroll at some point.
0 Replies