Ability to recognise memory gaps

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 05:27 am
Suppose you read the link of an article titled "Human Psychology 1103", you click the article and as it is loading you get distracted and cease your focus on this article.

In the time period where you are not focusing on the article, you are also not thinking about it and it doesn't cross your mind that you've lost focus.

Eventually, you reopen your computer/phone and the loaded-link is open on your device. You think to yourself: "Yeah the title is Human Psychology 1103, I remember that", a short moment later, an intrusive thought enters your mind - "Wait, did I know that? I know I know it now, but could I have remembered what the article title was before I had looked at it again?"

My main question is, do humans have the ability to recognise whether we could have remembered a certain piece of information - after we have already recited it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 823 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mame

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 09:21 am
@datboi04,
I really don't understand your question. Could you have remembered what the article title was before you looked at it again? Of course! That's not what I would call a memory gap. How different is this situation than taking a message for someone and when you see them several hours later (during which time you're focussing on other things and not thinking of them) you give them the message?
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2022 01:08 pm
@datboi04,
datboi04 wrote:

Suppose you read the link of an article titled "Human Psychology 1103",

I would never do that.

Quote:

as it is loading you get distracted and cease your focus on this article.

I'm already distracted.

I like questions about pies.
0 Replies