Woman to challenge Sen. Clinton in New York

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 06:17 am
On the one hand, that's bad ... but on the other, 32 seconds of silence from Pirro is preferable to 32 seconds of speech from Clinton.

Just my opinion.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 07:56 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Pirro's off to a bad start. In her kickoff speech in Manhattan, she stands silent for 32 seconds while she looks for page 10 of her speech. This is in addition to the late term abortion controversy, which her Republican primary opponent is already exploiting. Two problems in the first two days after she announces. Not looking good.

Quote:
Vote for me because...
uh, where's page 10?

Shaky Pirro freezes up in 1st campaign speech [/b]

BY GREG SMITH in New York
and JOE MAHONEY in Albany
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v645/kelticwizard100/Pirro.jpg
Jeanine Pirro, after stopping for half-minute in middle of speech declaring her Senate run, reaches for copy of speech containing missing page.

It may have been a hot day in the dead of August, but Jeanine Pirro froze up.
On the first official day of her U.S. Senate campaign, the Westchester district attorney was slamming Sen. Hillary Clinton in Manhattan when she suddenly stopped reading from her prepared comments.

"Where's page 10?" Pirro finally asked after going silent for 32 seconds.

And that was before she came up empty when asked to explain how her support of President Bush's permanent tax cuts would affect the federal deficit.

"This is my first day," the GOP Senate hopeful apologized. "I'll get you the exact figure of the deficit later."

When Pirro did get to elaborate during appearances in Manhattan and Albany, though, the theme was the same: Clinton has failed New Yorkers, yet wants to win reelection next year as a springboard to a White House run in 2008.

"Hillary Clinton has shortchanged New York," she said. "She hasn't delivered, and she will find out that the people of New York have not forgotten her empty promises."

Pirro's shaky start was mocked by state Democratic Party boss Denny Farrell, who said it shows "she may not be able to take on her primary opponents, let alone Sen. Hillary Clinton. The speech was long on attacks and literally silent on specifics for New Yorkers."

At several points, Pirro had to explain her newly evolved stance against so-called partial-birth abortion, saying she'd support it only when a mother's life was endangered.

The camp of Ed Cox, one of Pirro's GOP rivals, branded her a flip-flopper for having suggested in 2001 that she was not opposed to the form of late-term abortion.

Said Cox campaign spokesman Tom Basile: "On Monday, Ms. Pirro claimed to be 'blue.' On Tuesday, she claimed to be 'red.' Republicans and Conservatives should look at this flip-flop and ask, 'What is she going to be tomorrow?'"

Pirro's backing of a ban on the late-term abortion procedure helps make her more palatable to the state Conservative Party, whose support she is seeking to strengthen her underdog candidacy.

Breaking ranks with the Bush administration, Pirro said she favors embryonic stem cell research and argued the federal ban on assault weapons should not have been allowed to expire.
Source.

Oh yeah, she's really going to put the heat on Hill alright. She'll have to step up her game to reach "pebble in my shoe" status.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sat 13 Aug, 2005 07:25 am
They made a video where the whole clip is shown. Just click right here.

The clip is in Quicktime. If you have Windows and don't have Quicktime yet, just go here to downoad it for free.

Dial-up users: it's a 12 MB download for Quicktime. So you might want to get a cup of coffee or something for the 40 minutes or so it takes to download. But increasingly, many video clips are in Quicktime, it's very good, so I suggest you go ahead and take the time to download it. And Quicktime only sets the default to take Apple formats, so it won't intrude on the video player you use now for other Microsoft formats or mp3's. Nor do you need a new computer for it either-I still use Windows 98SE, and it downloaded and installed easy as you please.

Once the player is installed:

A: Copy the following link by running your mouse right -to-left over it, then right click, "Copy"
http://asphaltjungle.com/Speechless.mov

B: Bring player up on screen

C: Click File-Open URL In New Player

D: Paste the URL above in the box.

Then the player will start to load, and after 10 minutes or so you can see the video clip. It will be worth it, believe me.

Anyway, I read in the papers that the incident really is hilarious to watch. After seeing it, I must agree.

Have fun. Hee hee hee. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:30 pm
Well, at least she didn't scream at anyone. At least not on camera.

That speech is like a baseball team losing 19-0 on opening day. It's gonna be a l-o-n-g season. Or then again, for Ms. Pirro, probably a short one...
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:43 pm
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2005 04:50 pm
Yes, that story was covered in the NY Times today. Murdoch, ever the pragmatist, knows that a sitting senator from NY is no one to mess with. Hence the Post's slimy coverage of Mr. Pirro.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 24 Aug, 2005 11:01 pm
Anybody heard anything from Pirro lately? It's been about 10 days that she launched the campaign.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:16 am
I think that campaign went down in flames in mid August. Hubby is just too much of a liability.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 12:25 pm
Hmmm, and Rupert Murdoch's New York Post, a conservative bastion, did it's best to make sure he was too much of a liability.

The New York Post hates Hillary so much they have a reporter, Fred Dicker, writing a regular "Hillary Watch" column just to dig stuff up for the conservatives to get mad at Hillary about.

But then the Post tries to eliminate Pirro, maybe successfully.

Wonder what their game is?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 01:58 pm
I would hypothesize that the News Corporation needs something that only the Congress can provide and Clinton is probably better placed to provide it than Pirro would be. (just a guess,... see D'artagnan's post above)
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2005 10:28 pm
I don't know. That "Hillary Watch" column they put in as soon as she took office is designed to try to bring her down. So I don't think they really want her in there.

About the only thing I can think of is that they either like Ed Cox, or they have another favorite candidate that they plan to support once he/she enters the race. I don't think I've ever seen Murdoch's Post ambush a Republican the way they did to Pirro.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 05:25 am
The Murdoch's are a bit kerfuffley in New York right now - maybe Pirro got hit by the door slamming behind someone's exit?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 06:22 am
ehBeth:

I am not sure I completely understand what you mean.

Are you saying thre is some shakeup going on at the New York Post, and this Pirro thing is part of it?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 08:50 am
Murdoch has a problem. His various wives are fighting over their children's share of the estate and Ruppert may need a legislative favor to sort it out.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2005 10:56 am
kw - as I recall, the son who was running the New York part of the empire left town in a huff recently - who knows what that could mean for anyone's campaign.

ed and pub bit

Quote:
Speculation about who might head the paper after Lachlan Murdoch leaves at the end of August has been brewing since Friday, when the younger Murdoch announced he would not only leave the Post, but also give up his responsibilities running all of News Corp.'s U.S. television stations, 100-plus Australian newspapers, and HarperCollins books.

Post General Manager Geoff Booth said he did not know who would replace Murdoch, but agreed the change will have an effect on the paper. "It is going to change the newspaper," he told E&P Monday. "I don't know how. But things change and whatever those changes are, we'll get on with it."
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 12:52 am
Well, far from her campaign dying, Pirro pretty much sewed up the Republican nomination when outgoing Republican Governor Pataki endorsed her.

Giuliani's endorsement is expected some time down the road-he knows her. Latest polls show Pirro 20 to 30 percent behind Hillary. However, that is to be expected from a candidate who had not gotten a chance to get known yet.

Upon Pataki's endosement, her major opponent, Ed Cox, (Nixon's son in law) "stopped" his campaign. Didn't withdraw, just said he is stopping his campaign.

Her campaign is still making gaffes. Her web page lists two GOP county chairmen as having endorsed her when they in fact have not.

Supporters of Pirro have advised her to finish out her term as Westchester county prosecutor before campaigning. I have no idea why they would do that. When your opponent is mega-famous, and you have just received a nomination from a three term governor, you go out there and build on the momentum.

My guess is that they are afraid that Pirro will commit even more gaffes, so they want to keep her out of the spotlight and just coast into the nomination.

But that is ridiculous. If she is raw on the campaign trail, you want her to make her mistakes early so she still has time to recover from them. When do you want your candidate to blunder-a year before the election or a month before the election?

The whole thing seems to be shaping up as a disaster in the making. A fragile candidate put up by the Republican bigwigs, who have so little faith in her campaign abilities that they want her exposed to the public as little as possible, lest she blunder.

And this is Hillary she is going up against? Oh, brother.

This is probably why Ed Cox did not withdraw, but merely "stopped" his campaign. He's waiting for Pirro to make more mistakes, so he can step in and say, perhaps with justification, that the only way to prevent a Clinton rout in the neighborhood of twenty five points is to give him the nomination.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Sun 6 Nov, 2005 01:00 am
About the only thng I can think of, at this point, is that the Republicans want to purposely put up a weak candidate that Hillary can slaughter, so that her Presidential campaign gets a boost. Perhaps the Republicans want Hillary to get the Presidential nomination becase they figure they can defeat her easily in 2008.

Whether they can or not remains to be seen. You know the old saying: Be careful what you wish for-you just might get it. Laughing
0 Replies