Should we handle victory the way the Christian god decrees?

snood

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:37 pm
Implicator,
Abuzz was a good forum for a short while, but it got brought down by destructive, pathological narcissism, self-serving posturing, mind-numbing political partisanship, and a lot of juvenile sniping. In my humble opinion, I saw the end coming a long way off.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 01:52 pm
Implicator...I gotta agree with Snood on that.

He hit the nail right on the head.

There were some real jerks and punks over there...people who never did anything but stink up various threads.

But you run into them in every forum.

I think you woulda enjoyed it anyway.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:46 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Haven't we argued before, Implicator.

I know your posts have been showing you as a Newbie (now an "enthusiast in training")...but I am almost certain that I have gone through this kind of thing with you previously.

The pig-headedness, the pretend, tortured logic, and the need to disagree with everything...even a gesundheit after a sneeze...is much too familiar to be merely coincidence.

Were you here before...or was it over at Abuzz before that forum went under?

We have crossed paths once before, on this board. You thought I was someone else for some reason - maybe because they pointed out the same flaws in your reasoning process that I have.

You haven't pointed out any flaws in my reasoning process here, Implicator...so I doubt that's it.

I've done nothing but point out flaws in your "reasoning" process, Frank. You know it, I know it, and your friends here know it too - no doubt about it!

Quote:
My guess is it is the pig-headedness...or the tortured logic you use...but I will acknowledge that I do not know for sure. I just knew we had done battle before.

Actually, it is me pointing out your fallacies that has kept you running to and fro, looking for a fresh angle to attack with. Unfortunately (for you), you haven't come up with anything new yet.

Quote:
I would love to see the post where I mentioned I thought you were someone else. That might help me. And I cannot help but wonder who I thought you might be.

Well, if you click on my name to the left of this post, you can always go back through and look at all the posts I have been involved in.

I
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 03:59 pm
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

I know your posts have been showing you as a Newbie (now an "enthusiast in training")...but I am almost certain that I have gone through this kind of thing with you previously.

The pig-headedness, the pretend, tortured logic, and the need to disagree with everything...even a gesundheit after a sneeze...is much too familiar to be merely coincidence.

We have crossed paths once before, on this board. You thought I was someone else for some reason - maybe because they pointed out the same flaws in your reasoning process that I have.

You haven't pointed out any flaws in my reasoning process here, Implicator...so I doubt that's it.

I've done nothing but point out flaws in your "reasoning" process, Frank. You know it, I know it, and your friends here know it too - no doubt about it!

Nah...you're dreaming.

I made some assertions about the pathetic, cartoon god of the Bible...and I showed the basis for the assertions.

You asked for arguments.

That is like me pointing out that Snow White had an encounter with seven dwarves by quoting the parts of that fairytale...and being asked to argue the point.

You have not pointed out anything about my faulty reasoning...because my reasoning has not been faulty. But I understand why you feel as you do...because your reasoning is really bizarre.

Likeable...but bizarre.

Quote:

Quote:
My guess is it is the pig-headedness...or the tortured logic you use...but I will acknowledge that I do not know for sure. I just knew we had done battle before.

Actually, it is me pointing out your fallacies that has kept you running to and fro, looking for a fresh angle to attack with. Unfortunately (for you), you haven't come up with anything new yet.

Once again...dreaming on your part.

Hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself...go for it.

Quote:
Quote:
I would love to see the post where I mentioned I thought you were someone else. That might help me. And I cannot help but wonder who I thought you might be.

Well, if you click on my name to the left of this post, you can always go back through and look at all the posts I have been involved in.

Yeah, I guess I could. But I've got much more enjoyable things to do with my time on A2K.

Hey...I've enjoyed our little chat. Hope you are having a great day. I started my day with a refreshing round of golf (not a great round...but I did manage to keep under 90)...and had a heck of an exciting afternoon stacking wood for the woodburning stove...and coming back in here to read all the exciting postings on A2K.

Life is good. Very, very good.

By the way...a question if I may:

Are you a Christian? You've never actually said that you are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 04:59 pm
Frank, You expecting a straight answer? LOL
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 05:06 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Frank, You expecting a straight answer? LOL

We'll see.

Throughout the discussion, I felt that he was trying to set me up to say something about "his god."

I studiously avoided doing so.

Now I've asked him a direct question.

Let's see how he fields it.

Whether the answer is "yes" or "no"...if his past postings are any indication...it should take him several paragraphs to get to the "yes" or "no."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 06:29 pm
....or maybe. LOL
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:18 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

Nah...you're dreaming.

I made some assertions about the pathetic, cartoon god of the Bible...and I showed the basis for the assertions.

It is obvious you confuse proof and persuasion. Proof requires giving reasons for what you say is true, that's called "justification". What you have offered is justification that works just fine within your own personal standard, but when I asked you why I (and by implication, anyone) should evaluate this god according to your standard, you answered me as follows:

"I have no idea."

When the central question of the argument was raised, you miscarried with a claim of ignorance - not the best way to prove your point, let alone persuade anyone of anything.

Quote:
You asked for arguments.

That is like me pointing out that Snow White had an encounter with seven dwarves by quoting the parts of that fairytale...and being asked to argue the point.

You have not pointed out anything about my faulty reasoning...because my reasoning has not been faulty. But I understand why you feel as you do...because your reasoning is really bizarre.

Likeable...but bizarre.

It's really simply, Frank - when you evaluate someone's actions, you evaluate against a standard. When asked what standard you were using, you said (honestly) your own. When asked why that is the standard that should be used, you said "I have no idea."

You are employing reasoning according to one's own personal standard, without giving reason why the standard is appropriate. That makes it arbitrary and (by definition) faulty.

Now, you *do* spend a lot of time reassuring your compatriots that things are "under control" and all that (that's the real fairlytale here), but the proof (notice I didn't say persuasion) is in the pudding, so to speak. So, you can fire insults from the bench all ya want, but until you are ready to get back on the court and play the game (and not by the arbitrary rules you happen to make up), I'll just stand here waiting for you.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Once again...dreaming on your part.

Hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself...go for it.

Like I already said, this isn't about feeling good for me. I know nobody here - there is no choir to play to or anything like that. I speak the truth, and require others to do the same, else I point out where they fall short, as I have done with you.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I guess I could. But I've got much more enjoyable things to do with my time on A2K.

Not so interested in seeing the post then, are you?

Quote:
Hey...I've enjoyed our little chat. Hope you are having a great day. I started my day with a refreshing round of golf (not a great round...but I did manage to keep under 90)...and had a heck of an exciting afternoon stacking wood for the woodburning stove...and coming back in here to read all the exciting postings on A2K.

Life is good. Very, very good.

Congrats on your round of golf. I don't play anymore, as I have other things that keep me busy. And now is a good time to be preparing for this winter's fury!

Quote:
By the way...a question if I may:

Are you a Christian? You've never actually said that you are.

At this point I think I will keep my beliefs to myself, they aren't really relevant to this particular conversation from what I can tell. I could argue the agnostic or atheist position just as well, I think - I just chose the Christian's position because that's the one you were (fallaciously) attacking.

Be well!

I
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:42 pm
Well, ci...now we know that this person cannot even handle a question as easy as the one I asked.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 07:43 pm
Implicator wrote:
It is obvious you confuse proof and persuasion.

It is???

Where did I speak about "proof?"
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 08:45 pm
"...at this point, I will keep my beliefs to myself..." Hallelujah! Peace at last, god almighty, peace at last. LOL *But, ofcoarse, we all know that ain't the truth. Very Happy Laughing Razz
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Wed 21 Sep, 2005 09:15 pm
I hate adding to the excessive quoting and re-quoting here, but am responding to a post from many pages back and felt that it was justified in this instance. Sorry I do not have more time to respond to good points made by others in this discussion.

Implicator wrote:
Terry wrote:
Implicator wrote:
1) You must objectively show that this god is a murderer or …
2) You must show that this god is a murderer, considering the Christian's interpretations of the Bible as a whole

1) If murder is defined as unlawful killing, we must first decide whose laws apply here. I would guess that anyone who kills feels justified in doing so by virtue of some personal principle, even if they recognize that such killing is contrary to the laws of society. Likewise, a group that wishes to slaughters the members of another group may proclaim their moral right to do so and pass laws to that effect or get the church to sanctify the desired war, crusade, inquisition, or extermination of indigenous peoples.

Does killing cease to be murder simply by legal redefinition, or is there an objective standard that we can use to determine whether the killing in question is acceptable?

I'm not sure what you mean. Killing is murder if it is done unlawfully, according to the definition of "murder".

That was an introduction to the question of how we determine whether a particular killing is murder and whose laws apply.

Quote:
Quote:
Capital punishment for certain crimes is highly controversial, and while some societies still consider religion beliefs, ethnic heritage, or fertile farmland as adequate justification for wholesale slaughter, it is (hopefully) not the majority opinion.

It is possible that some societies consider religious beliefs as adequate justification, but not ethnic heritage or fertile farmlands, no?

Yes, that's why I used the word "or."

Quote:
Quote:
It is generally recognized that killing may lawfully be done in self-defense, defense of others, and justifiable war. The victim must have acted in some way so as to become a threat to you, and you may use reasonable but not excessive force. You may not kill someone just because you don't like them, don't agree with them, or want something they possess.

Yes, "generally recognized" - objectively true, though?

Objective vs subjective truth has been discussed on other threads. If you do not agree that these are some (but not all) of the situations in which killing may be objectively determined to be lawful, feel free to post your own criteria.

Quote:
Quote:
So was the killing reported in the Bible in any way justified? Were the people God killed a threat to him? Were they any more sinful or less deserving of life than the people who benefited from their deaths? Could he have achieved his ends without killing people, by relocating them or giving them the same laws he gave the Israelites? It was murder by any objective standards.

Who ultimately would determine whether such an act as this was justified? Maybe all of the examples you gave of possible justification don't comport with this example, but does that mean the action was not justified? Furthermore, what makes you think it is murder by *any* objective standards?

Anyone who reads the reports of these acts should be able to determine whether they were justified. If God chose to leave out information which would justify his behavior, how can he expect us to take it on faith that such information exists? I left out my reasoning process to save space and time, believing that any unbiased reader of the Bible would logically come to the same conclusion.

Quote:
Quote:
2) Presumably Christians interpret the Bible to mean that anything God does is lawful because God has the right to make (or disregard) any laws he chooses

Consider that Christians probably believe that their god has the right to disregard any laws that don't apply to him in the first place - that's probably a more accurate representation of what Christians believe.

Why wouldn't the commandment against killing apply to God? Is God to be held to a lower standard of ethical behavior than we are?

Quote:
Quote:
and that God may have reasons we cannot know for what he does. Therefore they refuse to call it murder when God drowns millions of people, slaughters first-born children who have committed no offenses, kills babies for their parent's sins, and orders people to stone people to death for infractions of his laws, slaughter their new neighbors and steal their property. (If I ever kill anyone I want people like that on my jury!) Religions that teach their followers to blindly accept anything done in God's name are dangerous.

Any belief system that teaches a person to *blindly* do anything another person says is dangerous.

Yes, Judeo-Christian religions are some of the more dangerous ones since so many blindly followed the Bible's teachings when it came to killing and enslaving their fellow human beings. What we need is for more people to look at their beliefs objectively instead of accepting what they are told without questioning the basic premises.

Quote:
Quote:
If a dictator commits atrocities (such as a holocaust, for instance), should the people say, "Well, it's OK because he gave himself that right and he knows more than we do, it is according to his plan…"? Or should they judge his actions objectively and stop trying to appease him?

I suppose that depends entirely on the "dictator" in question (assuming you are including the Christian god in this).

Yes, it was pointedly directed at the Judeo-Christian God as depicted in the Bible. So do you think we can or should judge God's actions?

Quote:
Quote:
I do not understand why anyone would call the Biblical God "good" and trust him to keep his word, even though he broke his covenant with the Jews and shows consistent disregard for life, laws and standards of ethical behavior.

So this god doesn't live up to *your* "objective" standard, is that what you are saying?

I

Yes. Does he live up to yours?

Quote:
This god is not doing evil because he should not (cannot) be judged as doing evil by the same standard you would judge Hitler or Saddam. IOW, what makes his act "evil" would be an evaluation of his act against a standard of good vs. evil. Since the Bible is that standard (if it is true), for both man and God, then what is revealed in the Bible is what ultimately tells us whether god does evil or not.

What part of the Bible would you use as a "standard," the commandments and laws given to Moses, the unwritten rules which can be inferred from the tribulations rained on people who angered God (or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time), the teachings of Jesus or the writings of Paul?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:49 am
I think this would be a good time to refresh everyone's memory about what I actually said in my introduction to this thread. Here are the beginning comments which seem to have caused such a stir in Implicator:

Quote:
In several different threads, during polite, civilized discussion with resident Christians...I have offered the opinion that the god described in the Bible is one of the most reprehensible gods ever offered up for consideration. The god is, I have noted, jealous, vengeful, retributive, quick-to-anger slow-to-forgive, abusive, tyrannical, duplicitous, petty, murderous and barbaric.

It is my contention that most of what this god does and suggests...if done or suggested by a human would result in the human being confined to a hospital for the criminally insane...under restraints that would make those imposed on Hannibal Lecter look positively benign.

I stand by all of that...although I have, for various reasons, reluctantly changed the word "murderous" to "serial killer" for the duration of dj's conversation with Implicator.

It is my further contention that I have offered passages from the Bible showing that the god described therein does, in fact, exhibit the traits I mentioned.

Implicator says I cannot logically offer these comments...and demands that I do more than merely show that the Bible itself portrays the god the way I say it portrays it.

I reject Implicator's arbitrary demand.

In any case, I see absolutely no reason to change my opinion regarding what would happen to a human exhibiting those traits...or offering that advice.

The god of the Bible is, in my opinion, one of the most barbaric, disgusting gods ever invented by the human mind.

I understand there are decent, well-intentioned people who profess love and adoration for this god...and who worship it...but I cannot find anything even remotely likeable about it...and consider any adoration or worship to be a product of fear rather than love.

Sorry this causes some of the stuff it causes for some people...but we are all here to share our take on things....and this is my take.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:23 am
Terry wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
It is generally recognized that killing may lawfully be done in self-defense, defense of others, and justifiable war. The victim must have acted in some way so as to become a threat to you, and you may use reasonable but not excessive force. You may not kill someone just because you don't like them, don't agree with them, or want something they possess.

Yes, "generally recognized" - objectively true, though?

Objective vs subjective truth has been discussed on other threads. If you do not agree that these are some (but not all) of the situations in which killing may be objectively determined to be lawful, feel free to post your own criteria.

I'm not sure I have the time to track down these other threads, or to work through the conclusions you all may have come to. My direct question here is whether you think you have an objective standard to measure against. I don't know, maybe you are claiming that "generally recognized" is the same as "objective", or maybe you have a different view. But it is that view that I am interested in hearing from you, as it has impact on the overall applicability of your statement.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So was the killing reported in the Bible in any way justified? Were the people God killed a threat to him? Were they any more sinful or less deserving of life than the people who benefited from their deaths? Could he have achieved his ends without killing people, by relocating them or giving them the same laws he gave the Israelites? It was murder by any objective standards.

Who ultimately would determine whether such an act as this was justified? Maybe all of the examples you gave of possible justification don't comport with this example, but does that mean the action was not justified? Furthermore, what makes you think it is murder by *any* objective standards?

Anyone who reads the reports of these acts should be able to determine whether they were justified. If God chose to leave out information which would justify his behavior, how can he expect us to take it on faith that such information exists? I left out my reasoning process to save space and time, believing that any unbiased reader of the Bible would logically come to the same conclusion.

What makes you think that this god has left out this information? But more importantly, what makes you think anyone is unbiased? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I see a bunch of assumptions here that I think we need to work through.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
2) Presumably Christians interpret the Bible to mean that anything God does is lawful because God has the right to make (or disregard) any laws he chooses

Consider that Christians probably believe that their god has the right to disregard any laws that don't apply to him in the first place - that's probably a more accurate representation of what Christians believe.

Why wouldn't the commandment against killing apply to God? Is God to be held to a lower standard of ethical behavior than we are?

First, if the question is directed towards the god of the Bible, then the Bible answers that question for you. Second, to ask if this god is held to a "lower" standard (as opposed to a "different" standard) is to assume the correctness of your standard, and to think that it applies to this god.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
and that God may have reasons we cannot know for what he does. Therefore they refuse to call it murder when God drowns millions of people, slaughters first-born children who have committed no offenses, kills babies for their parent's sins, and orders people to stone people to death for infractions of his laws, slaughter their new neighbors and steal their property. (If I ever kill anyone I want people like that on my jury!) Religions that teach their followers to blindly accept anything done in God's name are dangerous.

Any belief system that teaches a person to *blindly* do anything another person says is dangerous.

Yes, Judeo-Christian religions are some of the more dangerous ones since so many blindly followed the Bible's teachings when it came to killing and enslaving their fellow human beings. What we need is for more people to look at their beliefs objectively instead of accepting what they are told without questioning the basic premises.

Where do you expect to find an objective standard to judge this god against? Maybe you can tell me what you mean when you use the term "objective".

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If a dictator commits atrocities (such as a holocaust, for instance), should the people say, "Well, it's OK because he gave himself that right and he knows more than we do, it is according to his plan…"? Or should they judge his actions objectively and stop trying to appease him?

I suppose that depends entirely on the "dictator" in question (assuming you are including the Christian god in this).

Yes, it was pointedly directed at the Judeo-Christian God as depicted in the Bible. So do you think we can or should judge God's actions?

There is no doubt we *can* judge his actions. Whether our judgment is relevant depends on the standard we use in conjunction with whether the Bible is true or not. And I see no reason to think that we should not judge him, as long as we judge him according to the Bible itself.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I do not understand why anyone would call the Biblical God "good" and trust him to keep his word, even though he broke his covenant with the Jews and shows consistent disregard for life, laws and standards of ethical behavior.

So this god doesn't live up to *your* "objective" standard, is that what you are saying?

I

Yes. Does he live up to yours?

I think you missed the point of my question. If you have an objective standard, and I have a (different) one, then one or both of our standards is not objective at all. Furthermore, I am not defending the god of the Bible - my purpose here is to demonstrate that the approach being used to judge him is probably erroneous.

Quote:
Quote:
This god is not doing evil because he should not (cannot) be judged as doing evil by the same standard you would judge Hitler or Saddam. IOW, what makes his act "evil" would be an evaluation of his act against a standard of good vs. evil. Since the Bible is that standard (if it is true), for both man and God, then what is revealed in the Bible is what ultimately tells us whether god does evil or not.

What part of the Bible would you use as a "standard," the commandments and laws given to Moses, the unwritten rules which can be inferred from the tribulations rained on people who angered God (or were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time), the teachings of Jesus or the writings of Paul?

The entire Bible - that's the point I was making to Frank earlier. To judge the god of the Bible, one must consider what the entire Bible has to say about this god, else it is someone else being judged (or at least a misrepresentation of this god). In one wants to selectively pick certain portions of the Bible, then one needs to explain the reason behind choosing only certain portions, else they will be considered to be arbitrary.

I
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:34 am
Taking the bible as a whole, it's a comic book with ridiculous miracles, demands, and message that are contradictory in every aspect. They are not only "arbitrary," but impossible to follow for contemporary societies and its laws. We can't go stoning homosexuals because the bible says so. It only shows that the bible's teachings are homophobic, discriminatory, and ridiculous.
0 Replies

Implicator

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:35 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:

It is???

Anytime you used the words "show" or "demonstrate", you implied it.

Now, if you are stating that you aren't trying to prove that your opinion is true (but only that it is your opinion), then I can accept that. That's what I have been saying all along, actually.

I
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 10:42 am
The problem with Implicator's last point, Terry...as I am sure you will see immediately...is that in effect, he is asking us to use other ancient people's considerations about the god...to set OUR standard for judgement.

"The whole of the Bible" as I pointed out in what I think was my first response to Implicator...includes the considerations of many, many people who were in abject fear of the god...and who not only praised it for no reason other than that fear...but who asserted that the god was above judgement by humans.

It is a manufactured, highly contrived case Implicator makes.

In any case, I think it would be worthwhile if Implicator were to take the challenge I laid out in my opening remarks...and we can all judge the god based on what the Bible says about what the god does and says.

I say the god almost in every case (I know of one exception)...when on the scene or being quoted directly...is either threatening, killing, asking others to kill or punishing. I see no instances where the god is showing any of the traits that Christians seem to think it possesses...kindness, compassion, or a love of humanity.

Maybe Implicator can show us differently.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 11:00 am
Implicator wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
Implicator wrote:

It is???

Anytime you used the words "show" or "demonstrate", you implied it.

Oh really! And you are the judge of what I am or am not implying? What standard are you using? Are you using all of my posts to set that standard?

Quote:

Now, if you are stating that you aren't trying to prove that your opinion is true (but only that it is your opinion), then I can accept that. That's what I have been saying all along, actually.

I

Your question seems to reduce to:

When you said it was your opinion that...such and such....

...did you mean that it was your "opinion?"

You gotta be kidding me, right?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 01:29 pm
If I may...
When you (Frank Apisa) say that you don't have enough "unambiguous evidence", isn't that the same as saying you want proof?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 22 Sep, 2005 02:28 pm
Yes, he wants proof and evidence, because at the moment there is none.
0 Replies