Should we handle victory the way the Christian god decrees?

Intrepid

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:26 pm
Frank,
I am not going to get into a long, drawn out and fruitless argument or debate on this topic. I will, however, make a couple of comments. You can take them or leave them. Or, as is your custom, you can reap profanity and harsh words upon me.

I wonder why you chose this particular chapter and I further wonder why you started at verse 10. Probably because it suited your purpose. Also, remember that this is not God talking here. It is Moses after spending 40 years trudging the desert.

Verses 1 - 9 indicate a kindness toward those who will go into battle.
20:1
When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

20:2
And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle, that the priest shall approach and speak unto the people,

20:3
And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them;

20:4
For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

20:5
And the officers shall speak unto the people, saying, What man is there that hath built a new house, and hath not dedicated it? let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man dedicate it.

20:6
And what man is he that hath planted a vineyard, and hath not yet eaten of it? let him also go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man eat of it.

20:7
And what man is there that hath betrothed a wife, and hath not taken her? let him go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man take her.

20:8
And the officers shall speak further unto the people, and they shall say, What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? let him go and return unto his house, lest his brethren's heart faint as well as his heart.

20:9
And it shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking unto the people that they shall make captains of the armies to lead the people.

This is not direction of an all out cruel and heartless way of life.

This was a particular battle and time and was not meant to be the way forever. It speaks of horses and chariots. Do we have such things today Frank? Since this was the situation at the time of the words, why to you bring the Germans, Japanese and WWII into it? This is, in my opinion, just your usual way of laughing at, jumping on, ridiculing and spitting on Christians and Christianity. You keep talking about the Old Testament and ignoring anything about the New Testament. Frank... Christianity is taken from Christ. There has been much discussion on this, by several people, in other threads. If you hate Christianity and Christians so much, why do you constantly post about it. Is it that you want to gain a better understanding; you are getting older and are afraid of the future; you just want to cause trouble because you have nothing better to do? Nobody has tried to push Christianity on you.... why do you try to push your thinking on others?

This is your question, Frank and frankly...I find it appalling.

Quote:
QUESTION; How many of you think we should have acted as the god of the Bible suggests after World War II? The Germans and Japanese refused to "open their gates to us" and instead "offered battle."

When we defeated them...should we have gone in and killed every last male (of more than a child's age)...and put all the women and children into lifelong slavery?

How would you have felt if some leader of the Allies suggested such a course of action?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 09:38 pm
Not being a fan of organized religion, I still must note that you are using passages from the Old Testament. The New Testament supercedes the Old, does it not?

(Psalms is particularly nasty. "Blessed is he who dashes the children against the stones" or somesuch....)
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:55 am
Intrepid wrote:
Frank,
I am not going to get into a long, drawn out and fruitless argument or debate on this topic. I will, however, make a couple of comments. You can take them or leave them. Or, as is your custom, you can reap profanity and harsh words upon me.

I wonder why you chose this particular chapter and I further wonder why you started at verse 10. Probably because it suited your purpose. Also, remember that this is not God talking here. It is Moses after spending 40 years trudging the desert.

Actually...it is Moses quoting your god during the trudge through the desert...by why quibble!

Verses 1 - 9 indicate a kindness toward those who will go into battle.
20:1
When thou goest out to battle against thine enemies, and seest horses, and chariots, and a people more than thou, be not afraid of them: for the LORD thy God is with thee, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.

20:2
And it shall be, when ye are come nigh unto the battle, that the priest shall approach and speak unto the people,

20:3
And shall say unto them, Hear, O Israel, ye approach this day unto battle against your enemies: let not your hearts faint, fear not, and do not tremble, neither be ye terrified because of them;

20:4
For the LORD your God is he that goeth with you, to fight for you against your enemies, to save you.

20:5
And the officers shall speak unto the people, saying, What man is there that hath built a new house, and hath not dedicated it? let him go and return to his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man dedicate it.

20:6
And what man is he that hath planted a vineyard, and hath not yet eaten of it? let him also go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man eat of it.

20:7
And what man is there that hath betrothed a wife, and hath not taken her? let him go and return unto his house, lest he die in the battle, and another man take her.

20:8
And the officers shall speak further unto the people, and they shall say, What man is there that is fearful and fainthearted? let him go and return unto his house, lest his brethren's heart faint as well as his heart.

20:9
And it shall be, when the officers have made an end of speaking unto the people that they shall make captains of the armies to lead the people.

This is not direction of an all out cruel and heartless way of life.[/quote]

And you are suggesting those few verses somehow change the barbarity of the ones I cited?

C'mon.

Quote:
This was a particular battle and time and was not meant to be the way forever. It speaks of horses and chariots. Do we have such things today Frank? Since this was the situation at the time of the words, why to you bring the Germans, Japanese and WWII into it? This is, in my opinion, just your usual way of laughing at, jumping on, ridiculing and spitting on Christians and Christianity. You keep talking about the Old Testament and ignoring anything about the New Testament. Frank... Christianity is taken from Christ. There has been much discussion on this, by several people, in other threads. If you hate Christianity and Christians so much, why do you constantly post about it. Is it that you want to gain a better understanding; you are getting older and are afraid of the future; you just want to cause trouble because you have nothing better to do? Nobody has tried to push Christianity on you.... why do you try to push your thinking on others?

This is your question, Frank and frankly...I find it appalling.

Quote:
QUESTION; How many of you think we should have acted as the god of the Bible suggests after World War II? The Germans and Japanese refused to "open their gates to us" and instead "offered battle."

When we defeated them...should we have gone in and killed every last male (of more than a child's age)...and put all the women and children into lifelong slavery?

How would you have felt if some leader of the Allies suggested such a course of action?

You find my questions appalling!!!!! MY QUESTIONS!!!!

Open up your mind...and you will find the admonition of your god to be so appalling that finding anything else appalling becomes a joke.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:58 am
DrewDad wrote:
Not being a fan of organized religion, I still must note that you are using passages from the Old Testament. The New Testament supercedes the Old, does it not?

Well...that is what the Christians would have us accept.

But Jesus specifically said he was not here to change any of it...not one word, not one letter of one word, not one stroke of one letter!

So I think the Christians over-state their case in that regard.

When I mention "the god of the Bible"...I am talking about the god Jesus worshipped.

We all know which god that is!

Quote:
(Psalms is particularly nasty. "Blessed is he who dashes the children against the stones" or somesuch....)

Oh,...there are many, many more "nasty" things about this obscene book. But we will discuss them in their turn.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:59 am
neologist wrote:
No christians yet, Frank; does that mean you are winning?

I'm sorry, Neo....what was it you were shooting your mouth off about just now???
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:17 am
By the way, folks, as Intrepid points out, this stuff was supposedly given to Moses during the drudge through the desert after the escape from Egypt.

They have no great army to attack anyone.

But of course, the notion that the god is speaking to Moses during this trek...and telling him stuff that obviously supposes that all the institutions of nation are already in place and functioning...

...is just more of the phony bullshyt that is the Bible.

Case in point...the Hebrews supposedly had no slaves...but the god tells them they can have them....and how they can aquire them.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:19 am
Intrepid wrote:
Quote:
This was a particular battle and time and was not meant to be the way forever.

It was not about a "particular battle"...it was a general instruction about how to treat a vanquished enemy.

I must have missed the passage where your god sets an expiration date on this advice! Why don't you offer a citation of the passage for consideration.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:52 am
Frank,
What is your opinion on crucifixion? Should it be allowed as a form of punishment? After all, it is mentioned in the bible.
What about your blaspheny, Frank? Should we continue on with the following quote from the bible?
Mark 14:64  Ye have heard the blasphemy: what think ye? And they all condemned him to be guilty of death.

Frank, maybe you should do as the following text suggests.
Colossians 3:8  But now ye also put off all these; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:35 am
Intrepid, Your last paragraph actually defines the god of the bible; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, and "filthy communication." I daresay, Frank is spot on! People seem to be in fear of criticizing their god, and the reasons are obvious. "Anger, wrath, and malice" characterizes the bible god very well.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 11:02 am
Both Abraham and Habakkuk criticized God. Once again, the problem is that Frank is posting a straw man.

He guesses the bible is a fairy tale.
He uses his own guessing to judge biblical events.
He expects us to buy into that guess.

How can anyone succeed? (Nice try, Intrepid)

All of the severe judgements and punishments and executions of the bible are defined (guessed) by Frank as acts of cruelty. If you read the bible carefully, you will find that the bible says they are not. You may dismiss the entire bible on that observation alone and I could understand your position. I would disagree, but I would understand.

What amazes me is the number of folks who buy into the guess.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:10 pm
neologist wrote:
Both Abraham and Habakkuk criticized God. Once again, the problem is that Frank is posting a straw man.

He guesses the bible is a fairy tale.
He uses his own guessing to judge biblical events.
He expects us to buy into that guess.

How can anyone succeed? (Nice try, Intrepid)

All of the severe judgements and punishments and executions of the bible are defined (guessed) by Frank as acts of cruelty. If you read the bible carefully, you will find that the bible says they are not. You may dismiss the entire bible on that observation alone and I could understand your position. I would disagree, but I would understand.

What amazes me is the number of folks who buy into the guess.

Once again, Neo is trying to sell that nonsense that since I do not accept the Bible as the word of some god...I cannot use it as evidence for comments I make about its content.

A fifth grader can see the absurdity of Neo's thinking and logic on this...but what can I say. Obviously, Neo can't think as advanced as a fifth grader.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 04:11 pm
And Neo...you really have to learn what a strawman argument is soon. You are looking like a fool misusing the term as often as you do.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:21 pm
1. Bible is the word of god is their first handicap.
2. Half-ass reading of the bible is their second handicap; who can decifer all the errors, contradictions, and misinterpretations?
3. Believing in the bible is the final handicap.
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 05:54 pm
Frank, Frank, Frank... I thought you knew better than this. This topic in its entirety, and the question you posed, can all be filed under the header of 'literal interpretation of the Bible,' which we all know is just a bad idea. It's only when a group of people decide to take the Bible literally that problems arise.

For example, let's say that a group of people decided to do exactly as it said in one particular passage in the Bible and kill all the firstborn males of a country that we have defeated in a war.

The more one reads the Bible, the more wholly obvious it becomes that its intent is to provide guidelines to live by and teach via parables (also not to be taken literally). This particular passage, regarding war and victory in the name of God, is no different, particularly because it is incongruous with other passages in the Bible.

And, to avoid further confusion and negate pending arguments on what a Straw Man is, here is a Definition of the Straw Man Argument
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 06:05 pm
Francisco D'Anconia wrote:
Frank, Frank, Frank... I thought you knew better than this.

Don't be condescending with me young man. You will be biting off much, much more than you can chew.

If you want to challenge something I've said...do it...and we will discuss your views and mine. But don't patronize me.

Quote:

This topic in its entirety, and the question you posed, can all be filed under the header of 'literal interpretation of the Bible,' which we all know is just a bad idea. It's only when a group of people decide to take the Bible literally that problems arise.

I think you are dead wrong on this.

Every time something like this comes up...people start talking about not taking it literally.

Explain to me how to take this particular passage figuratively.

Quote:
For example, let's say that a group of people decided to do exactly as it said in one particular passage in the Bible and kill all the firstborn males of a country that we have defeated in a war.

Well..is that an argument for literal versus figurative...or that the advice the god of the Bible gives is barbaric?

Quote:
The more one reads the Bible, the more wholly obvious it becomes that its intent is to provide guidelines to live by and teach via parables (also not to be taken literally).

Nonsense.

Any reasonable reading of this crap would lead to the guess that the people who wrote that stuff obviously were justifying the kinds of things they (and of course, their enemies) did...by putting admonitions of this sort in the mouth of a god they invented.

The were a barbaric people living among other barbaric people during barbaric times. To pretend that whoevser wrote this passage was trying to say something other than the words actually say...is dreaming.

Quote:
This particular passage, regarding war and victory in the name of God, is no different, particularly because it is incongruous with other passages in the Bible.

Oh really. Well name some. And please...don't do it from the New Testament. Stick with the Old Testament. That is the testament that details the advice of the god Jesus worshipped.

Cite some passages from the Old Testament that are incongruent with this passage.

Quote:
And, to avoid further confusion and negate pending arguments on what a Straw Man is, here is a Definition of the Straw Man Argument

I have no confusion about strawman arguments. Neo does.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Intrepid, Your last paragraph actually defines the god of the bible; anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, and "filthy communication." I daresay, Frank is spot on! People seem to be in fear of criticizing their god, and the reasons are obvious. "Anger, wrath, and malice" characterizes the bible god very well.

You seem to have missed the crux of the verse, CI. It says to put off these things. In your haste to agree with Frank, you did not read the verse as written.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:38 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
1. Bible is the word of god is their first handicap.
2. Half-ass reading of the bible is their second handicap; who can decifer all the errors, contradictions, and misinterpretations?
3. Believing in the bible is the final handicap.

I really don't understand why "you folks" have to criticize, criticize, criticize. You speak of "their handicap...half-ass etc. etc. If you are so against Christianity why do you bother to write about it? That is one thing that Christians, regardless of whether they can quote effectively from the bible, do not do. Belittle, harass and call names to the people that do not agree with us. That alone is a reason to be a Christian... to love our fellow man regardless of what failings they have or what they appear to have. That is not an admission to any failings on the part of any Christian, it is an example of the way things should be. Funny that the same people who hate god and Christians are the same people who usually advocate abortion and war. Is there a correlation? You decide.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:50 pm
Frank,

I just realized that if we took all your posts in the Religious threads and put them together in a book and called the book....The Book of Evil Thoughts.
Just follow along with me for a second, Frank...and in 2000 years this Book of Evil Thoughts was found by people of the future....just a sec, don't get ahead of me.

And those people read the book and read of the god of the forums - Frank. Would they be horrified at the evil way he treats those he writes to and of? Calling them evil names and believing (guessing?) that everything he writes is true and talks about the way the people (sheep?) should live and what they should believe and why they should not believe what they believe.

But lo, there appear the descendants of those who agree with him (I will not name names out of respect for the anonymity of these folks....you all know who they are anyhow) These people hold Frank in the highest esteem and bow down and worship him daily. Others cannot understand why this is so and throw profanities, abuse, cow dung and all manner of terrible scorn upon them.

Is this how you see it, Frank?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 07:55 pm
We write about it, because with Bush and Company with the support of the fundamentalist christians, they have taken over our government. That makes me real mad. What else can we do but write about it?

"That alone is a reason to be a Christian... to love our fellow man regardless of what failings they have or what they appear to have."

This is precisely the problem with christianity. You preach "love your fellow man," but you are the very people who would deny gays and lesbians equal treatment under the laws of the land. You are all hypocrites of the worst kind. You all preach one thing, then do another. Hell will freeze over before you christians realize the hypocrisy of it all.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:12 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
We write about it, because with Bush and Company with the support of the fundamentalist christians, they have taken over our government. That makes me real mad. What else can we do but write about it?

"That alone is a reason to be a Christian... to love our fellow man regardless of what failings they have or what they appear to have."

This is precisely the problem with christianity. You preach "love your fellow man," but you are the very people who would deny gays and lesbians equal treatment under the laws of the land. You are all hypocrites of the worst kind. You all preach one thing, then do another. Hell will freeze over before you christians realize the hypocrisy of it all.

CI...

What does a Christian in Canada have to do with George Bush and company? Personally, I don't understand why the American people gave him a second term. You seem to lump all Christians into one pot and that is just wrong. All Christians are not the same... I know Christians that make me ashamed to be one sometimes. I am not against gays and lesbians. After all, they are God's creatures too. My government is not against them either.... They have the right to marry in my country. I do not necessarily agree with that part because of the whole marriage thing and the reason for it. I do not, however, have any grievance against the way they want to live.

CI, I am sorry if you have met hypocritical Christians during your 70 years on this planet. I cannot help that. You cannot help that. All I can help is to do the best I can.

If lumping us all together and calling us names makes you feel good, then who am I to spoil your fun?
0 Replies