Should we handle victory the way the Christian god decrees?

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 08:29 pm
Quote:
I really don't understand why "you folks" have to criticize, criticize, criticize. You speak of "their handicap...half-ass etc. etc. If you are so against Christianity why do you bother to write about it?

Because, my dear Intrepid, we are engaged presently in a struggle between the adherents of one radical fundamentalist religion against another and we who criticize would rather not be killed by either side.

Quote:
That is one thing that Christians, regardless of whether they can quote effectively from the bible, do not do. Belittle, harass and call names to the people that do not agree with us.

If I had to list the number of times Christians have branded, burned, struck out, whipped, tortured and stolen from those who do not agree with them I would get no sleep tonight. Not because of the horrors Christianity has brought to the world under it's banner of the Cross, but because I would start in 313AD and still be typing at dawn. Somewhere in the middle would be the Jews of Italy and Spain, the shamans of the New and Old World and the Muslims of Armenia and Constantinople.

Quote:
That alone is a reason to be a Christian... to love our fellow man regardless of what failings they have or what they appear to have.

Boy, that would be a great idea. I wonder if anyone will ever try it?

Quote:
That is not an admission to any failings on the part of any Christian, it is an example of the way things should be.

The first rule of any philosophy ought to be a willingness to face the truth.

Quote:
Funny that the same people who hate god and Christians are the same people who usually advocate abortion and war. Is there a correlation? You decide.

The above is a perversion of the truth and sounds a little desperate. We do not advocate abortion, we support and defend a woman's right to choose what is right for her own body.

And advocate war? That is a fine twisted sense of humor you have there. Once there was a time when Christians in this country stood against war, especially unnecessary, ill-thought out and ill-waged war, much like the present fiasco in Iraq -- Catholic Bishops stood side by side with Protestant Bishops and Ministers and said NO. Some went to jail. Some sang in the streets, some sat in the offices of Senators and pleaded for an end to the War in Viet Nam.

Are all those Christian voices silent now? Yes. Silenced by fear, I fear, when if they even thought for a moment, about the depth of peace predicted by the Christ, they would be reaching out in love to stop this insanity.

Instead we have the Christian officers at the Air Force Academy and Brig. Generals bragging to the crowds that their God is bigger then the Muslim God.
o god.

Stop. Think where you are leading us.

Joe(I once loved Jesus, but I had to fire him.)Nation
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:27 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
And Neo...you really have to learn what a strawman argument is soon. You are looking like a fool misusing the term as often as you do.

strawman: attempting to refute one's opponent & proposition by attacking misrepresentation of the his/her position.

From a link I posted before: http://www.dianahsieh.com/misc/fallacies.html

Your straw man works like this:

Frank misrepresents the bible.
Frank caterwauls about said misrepresentation.
Frank claims victory.

It's not that you don't accept the bible. It's that you misrepresent what it says. If you don't want to believe the bible, just say so.

And the bible was written that fifth graders could understand it; so why can't you?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:46 pm
"CI, I am sorry if you have met hypocritical Christians during your 70 years on this planet. I cannot help that. You cannot help that. All I can help is to do the best I can. "

I cannot help it either, but it's obvious from the last election that fundamentalist christians helped Bush win the election - and subsequently his fundamentalist christian initiatives to legalize discrimination against gays and lesbians. If it not for the christians in this country, we wouldn't even have these discriminatory laws, because they are based in the christian religion.

This president goes as far as to deny our scientists the freedom to go forward with stem cell research based on Bush's christian religion.

This president used his office to bring the Teri Schiavo case to the Supreme Court based on his christian beliefs - even though it went against Teri Schiavo and her husband's wishes to discontinue keeping her alive artificially.

This president also uses his office and christian belief to attempt the overthrow of Roe vs Wade to deny women the right to choose what they want with their own bodies.

Yeah, the fundamentalist christians are overwhelming our country in a way that makes me sick.

Show me I'm wrong, and I'll apologize.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 09:58 pm
CI, don't assume that fundamental christians have a firm hold on the truth. I punch both ways for a reason.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:30 pm
"CI, don't assume that fundamental christians have a firm hold on the truth."

For those of us that would have no axe to grind if this administration performed it's responsibilities without inserting their christian beliefs on the rest of us, "truth" is lost to dogma.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:40 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
"CI, don't assume that fundamental christians have a firm hold on the truth."

For those of us that would have no axe to grind if this administration performed it's responsibilities without inserting their christian beliefs on the rest of us, "truth" is lost to dogma.
I have never supported Dubya or his father. That doesn't mean I favor fat Teddy, either.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:44 pm
neo, Good for you! You wanna pat on the back?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:48 pm
Wow, Frank; Francisco D'Anconia has given us a much better link to the straw man. Surprised
0 Replies

Francisco DAnconia

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:49 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Don't be condescending with me young man. You will be biting off much, much more than you can chew.

If you want to challenge something I've said...do it...and we will discuss your views and mine. But don't patronize me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to condescend or patronize. In fact, I rather look up to you.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Francisco D'Anconia wrote:
For example, let's say that a group of people decided to do exactly as it said in one particular passage in the Bible and kill all the firstborn males of a country that we have defeated in a war.

Well..is that an argument for literal versus figurative...or that the advice the god of the Bible gives is barbaric?

I was trying to use your example to prove my own point; that you can't take the Bible literally in today's society, both because in most cases it wasn't intended to be taken literally, and in most cases it details an archaic and barbaric train of thought.

Frank Apisa wrote:
The more one reads the Bible, the more wholly obvious it becomes that its intent is to provide guidelines to live by and teach via parables (also not to be taken literally).

Nonsense.

Any reasonable reading of this crap would lead to the guess that the people who wrote that stuff obviously were justifying the kinds of things they (and of course, their enemies) did...by putting admonitions of this sort in the mouth of a god they invented.

The were a barbaric people living among other barbaric people during barbaric times. To pretend that whoevser wrote this passage was trying to say something other than the words actually say...is dreaming.

And yet, isn't that simply basic human instinct, to justify one's actions, using the invented sanction of an invented deity if necessary? I'm not saying it's right, just that it is really to be expected. And, I must admit that you're right, in the case of a passage like this, there's no room for interpretation of any kind.

Frank Apisa wrote:
This particular passage, regarding war and victory in the name of God, is no different, particularly because it is incongruous with other passages in the Bible.

Oh really. Well name some. And please...don't do it from the New Testament. Stick with the Old Testament. That is the testament that details the advice of the god Jesus worshipped.

Cite some passages from the Old Testament that are incongruent with this passage.

Actually I was referring to chapter 20, verses 1-9 of Deuteronomy, which as Intrepid pointed out seems to advocate kindness towards one's enemies, just before launching into a mandate to kill all firstborn males in the defeated country. Obviously, this is just stupid; the messages of kindness and mercy and total annihilation might create some confusion.

Agin, didn't mean to offend.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 10:50 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, Good for you! You wanna pat on the back?
No; but why do you lump me with them? I would never lump you. Laughing
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 6 Aug, 2005 11:00 pm
neo, How would you suggest we address those that are part and parcel of this administration?
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:41 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
But Jesus specifically said he was not here to change any of it...not one word, not one letter of one word, not one stroke of one letter!

I don't know if this has already been said on one of the many other threads around this sort of topic, but Jesus FULFILLED the Law; that was one of His purposes in coming here, precisely bec. not one of us puny mortals CAN. And recall that when He talks about the Law, He's referring to the Decalogue (and to the way it's developed in DEUTERONOMY & LEVITICUS). It was not given in the Law to dash babies against rocks and such.

Frank Apisa wrote:
....When I mention "the god of the Bible"...I am talking about the god Jesus worshipped.

Yes, so why would a "good man" like Jesus worship a god who (according to you) is HORRRRRIBLE?

Frank Apisa wrote:
We all know which god that is!
Sigh, no, Frank, unfortunately you guys don't even scratch the surface of knowing who that God is.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:51 am
neologist wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
And Neo...you really have to learn what a strawman argument is soon. You are looking like a fool misusing the term as often as you do.

strawman: attempting to refute one's opponent & proposition by attacking misrepresentation of the his/her position.

From a link I posted before: http://www.dianahsieh.com/misc/fallacies.html

Your straw man works like this:

Frank misrepresents the bible.
Frank caterwauls about said misrepresentation.
Frank claims victory.

It's not that you don't accept the bible. It's that you misrepresent what it says. If you don't want to believe the bible, just say so.

And the bible was written that fifth graders could understand it; so why can't you?

I quote the Bible exactly. I never create strawman arguments.

You are a pretender...not truly up to the arguments being made here.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:53 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
Don't be condescending with me young man. You will be biting off much, much more than you can chew.

If you want to challenge something I've said...do it...and we will discuss your views and mine. But don't patronize me.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to condescend or patronize. In fact, I rather look up to you.

Frank Apisa wrote:
For example, let's say that a group of people decided to do exactly as it said in one particular passage in the Bible and kill all the firstborn males of a country that we have defeated in a war.

Well..is that an argument for literal versus figurative...or that the advice the god of the Bible gives is barbaric?

I was trying to use your example to prove my own point; that you can't take the Bible literally in today's society, both because in most cases it wasn't intended to be taken literally, and in most cases it details an archaic and barbaric train of thought.

Frank Apisa wrote:
The more one reads the Bible, the more wholly obvious it becomes that its intent is to provide guidelines to live by and teach via parables (also not to be taken literally).

Nonsense.

Any reasonable reading of this crap would lead to the guess that the people who wrote that stuff obviously were justifying the kinds of things they (and of course, their enemies) did...by putting admonitions of this sort in the mouth of a god they invented.

The were a barbaric people living among other barbaric people during barbaric times. To pretend that whoevser wrote this passage was trying to say something other than the words actually say...is dreaming.

And yet, isn't that simply basic human instinct, to justify one's actions, using the invented sanction of an invented deity if necessary? I'm not saying it's right, just that it is really to be expected. And, I must admit that you're right, in the case of a passage like this, there's no room for interpretation of any kind.

Frank Apisa wrote:
This particular passage, regarding war and victory in the name of God, is no different, particularly because it is incongruous with other passages in the Bible.

Oh really. Well name some. And please...don't do it from the New Testament. Stick with the Old Testament. That is the testament that details the advice of the god Jesus worshipped.

Cite some passages from the Old Testament that are incongruent with this passage.

Actually I was referring to chapter 20, verses 1-9 of Deuteronomy, which as Intrepid pointed out seems to advocate kindness towards one's enemies, just before launching into a mandate to kill all firstborn males in the defeated country. Obviously, this is just stupid; the messages of kindness and mercy and total annihilation might create some confusion.

Agin, didn't mean to offend.

Take the passage I offered at the beginning of this thread...and tell me how to take it "figuratively." You mentioned that it should not be taken literally. I want to know how to take it figuratively.

I may learn something.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 02:55 am
diagknowz wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
But Jesus specifically said he was not here to change any of it...not one word, not one letter of one word, not one stroke of one letter!

I don't know if this has already been said on one of the many other threads around this sort of topic, but Jesus FULFILLED the Law; that was one of His purposes in coming here, precisely bec. not one of us puny mortals CAN. And recall that when He talks about the Law, He's referring to the Decalogue (and to the way it's developed in DEUTERONOMY & LEVITICUS). It was not given in the Law to dash babies against rocks and such.

Even if he "fulfilled the law"...Heaven and Earth have not passed away.

And even if he fulfilled the law...does that mean that the law no longer applies?

Quote:
Frank Apisa wrote:
....When I mention "the god of the Bible"...I am talking about the god Jesus worshipped.

Yes, so why would a "good man" like Jesus worship a god who (according to you) is HORRRRRIBLE?

Beats the piss out of me...but the god of the Bible is an abomination...one of the most dispicable gods ever invented. And Jesus DID worship him.

So answer your own question, if you can.

Quote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
We all know which god that is!
Sigh, no, Frank, unfortunately you guys don't even scratch the surface of knowing who that God is.

You can't...but I can.
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 03:08 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
I must have missed the passage where your god sets an expiration date on this advice! Why don't you offer a citation of the passage for consideration.

JOHN 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. "

Recall that the advice you're quoting was given to a theocracy; theocracy is passe (you can read all about it in HEBREWS in the N.T.). The new Christian "nation" is purely spiritual, encompassing all the believers of all times and nations. Our concrete "nation" (what Augustine dubbed the "City of God") will be installed sometime in the future, outside of time.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Even if he "fulfilled the law"...Heaven and Earth have not passed away....And even if he fulfilled the law...does that mean that the law no longer applies?

What He means by "heaven and earth will not pass away" is that the principles summed up in the Decalogue constitute the DNA of the (moral) universe. He's saying that the truth of the Decalogue is, as it were, imprinted into every molecule of the (moral) universe; that it's not merely situational or relative but valid for all time.

Quote:
Diagknowz: "Yes, so why would a "good man" like Jesus worship a god who (according to you) is HORRRRRIBLE?"

Frank: "So answer your own question, if you can."

What I was getting at is the statement by many Liberals that Jesus is a "good man." If He is, then He wouldn't worship the kind of god you think is portrayed in the O.T. So, either He is really off-base, and not a good man after all, or you are off-base.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:13 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
"CI, I am sorry if you have met hypocritical Christians during your 70 years on this planet. I cannot help that. You cannot help that. All I can help is to do the best I can. "

I cannot help it either, but it's obvious from the last election that fundamentalist christians helped Bush win the election - and subsequently his fundamentalist christian initiatives to legalize discrimination against gays and lesbians. If it not for the christians in this country, we wouldn't even have these discriminatory laws, because they are based in the christian religion.

This president goes as far as to deny our scientists the freedom to go forward with stem cell research based on Bush's christian religion.

This president used his office to bring the Teri Schiavo case to the Supreme Court based on his christian beliefs - even though it went against Teri Schiavo and her husband's wishes to discontinue keeping her alive artificially.

This president also uses his office and christian belief to attempt the overthrow of Roe vs Wade to deny women the right to choose what they want with their own bodies.

Yeah, the fundamentalist christians are overwhelming our country in a way that makes me sick.

Show me I'm wrong, and I'll apologize.

CI,

You seem to have a very narrow view here. You seem to be blaming the shortcomings of your president on all of the Christians of the world. Perhaps it is this kind of thinking that creates all of the hate in the world. That is like condeming all Japanese in the world for the attack on Pearl Harbour. That would be unacceptable and, I believe, that it is unacceptable to label people for everything that you don't like about your country because they put their faith in God and Jesus.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 04:24 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
neo, How would you suggest we address those that are part and parcel of this administration?

Perhaps as bad politicians and not bad Christians?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:05 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
Good question. Perhaps the best answer is to remember Jesus' example when folks wanted to make him king. John 6:14 tells us he ". . . withdrew again into the mountain all alone."

Then again, in John 18:36, Jesus told Pilate "My kingdom is no part of this world."

Jesus stayed out of politics as did the early Christians. Having seen the warts on both side of the aisle, I tend to do the same.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:06 am
Are they good Christians?

The problem is they see themselves as doing God's work when they promote and pass laws that restrict rights rather than expand them, when they restrict science in experimentation, when they propose to equalize the science behind the Theory of Evolution with Creation Science or Intelligent Design or whatever the believers have decided to call it this week. It's the "good" Christians like George Bush who are foisting what they think is Christ's mission onto the world. When are the true Christians going to say "Hey, what are you doing?"

And to those who have said, well Frank keeps bringing up verses that ought not be taken literally in this day and age, the Christian Right seems to be able to pick and chose which verses shall be taken literally, mostly those involving homosexuals, and those that ought not to be, ie. divesting oneself of riches in order to achieve the Kingdom of Heaven. Talk about your "you decide". It's more like the Verse of the Month Club.

Joe(heard it so many times before)Nation
0 Replies