Should we handle victory the way the Christian god decrees?

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:47 am
Momma Angel wrote:
Actually the Book of Revelation is what God showed in a vision. Now, if someone from that time saw the things of what is to happen at the end times, do you think they would have been able to explain it in words we would understand today?

And the beast is the Anti-christ.

It should be noted that there are many theologians who quite successfully argue that the book of Revelations was not, in fact, meant to be taken literally. They hold that it was a message of hope written in a form that it's intended audience could relate to, using apocryphal writing that was considered very powerful and imagery based.

In short, it's a messge of hope, not a book of the end times.

Some links (sorry, can't find the best ones atm, i'll come back to it if people ask)

Link 1
Link 2
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:51 am
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I realize that most of you are American, but those of us outsiders are being painted with the same brush.

It could be argued that the presence of multiple "brushes" might be an indicator of a failed religion.

Argue away
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 07:59 am
Intrepid wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I realize that most of you are American, but those of us outsiders are being painted with the same brush.

It could be argued that the presence of multiple "brushes" might be an indicator of a failed religion.

Argue away

Mmkay.

I hear time and again that everyone that believes, believes in what they term their "truth". With the presence of so many different denominations (spelt it correctly that time), there would appear to be multiple definitions of what "truth" is. Then you have differing opinions within one denomination.

With so many different versions of the "truth" it seems that whatever may have originally been identified as "truth" has become so dilluted and subjected to change by the whims of men, some with ulterior motives, that the original is no longer recognizable. How then can you have any sort of credibility when claiming your truth is the truth? How can any of the denominations claim that the others are "wrong" and that they are "right"? Christianity needs no attackers, it's doing a fine job of eating itself up from within.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:19 pm
Then again, most of us who consider ourselves to be people of faith know that human language and human understanding is inadequate to fully understand or describe the truths of God. In my opinion, for instance, I think all faith groups, Christian and non-Christian, have some of the truth and none have all of it. On any given issue any single person decides what is right for him/her and may see that differently than the next. Despite the differences and even the infighting, Christianity remains. Because all do not agree on each individual point, much less every point, is not a condemnation of Christianity. It is living proof that God can prevail in spite of humankind's worst failures.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 03:29 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Then again, most of us who consider ourselves to be people of faith know that human language and human understanding is inadequate to fully understand or describe the truths of God. In my opinion, for instance, I think all faith groups, Christian and non-Christian, have some of the truth and none have all of it. On any given issue any single person decides what is right for him/her and may see that differently than the next. Despite the differences and even the infighting, Christianity remains. Because all do not agree on each individual point, much less every point, is not a condemnation of Christianity. It is living proof that God can prevail in spite of humankind's worst failures.

I think it to be a fundamental flaw in logic to dismiss the fact that there are so many disperate beliefs and elements attributed to one religion while believing that the collection of words penned by men and printed/translated by men to be God-inspired.

It would seem to me that if God were so insistant that his book be kept straight, he might also lend a hand to keep his flocks in order. That he hasn't, and that this is chalked up to human nature and consequently ignored, baffles me a bit.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 04:38 pm
Questioner wrote:
It should be noted that there are many theologians who quite successfully argue that the book of Revelations was not, in fact, meant to be taken literally. They hold that it was a message of hope written in a form that it's intended audience could relate to, using apocryphal writing that was considered very powerful and imagery based.

In short, it's a messge of hope, not a book of the end times. . .
Written in signs, yes. But with a purpose. "A revelation by Jesus Christ, which God gave him, to show his slaves the things that must shortly take place. And he sent forth his angel and presented [it] in signs through him to his slave John." (Revelation 1:1) (emphasis mine)
Questioner wrote:
I think it to be a fundamental flaw in logic to dismiss the fact that there are so many disperate beliefs and elements attributed to one religion while believing that the collection of words penned by men and printed/translated by men to be God-inspired.

It would seem to me that if God were so insistant that his book be kept straight, he might also lend a hand to keep his flocks in order. That he hasn't, and that this is chalked up to human nature and consequently ignored, baffles me a bit.
The book is straight. It is the hypocritical clergy who have misrepresented it. As Jesus aptly described them in Matthew 15:14: "Blind guides is what they are. If, then, a blind man guides a blind man, both will fall into a pit."
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:10 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Questioner wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

Argue away

Multiple brushes but one masterful hand that guides them...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:13 pm
RexRed wrote:

Aye, that's the jest of it that i'm getting from those I ask.

I just can't see how having so many churches with so much differing dogma and bitter infighting is healthy to any religion.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:15 pm
Oy
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:28 pm
Questioner wrote:
RexRed wrote:

I just can't see how having so many churches with so much differing dogma and bitter infighting is healthy to any religion.

It is a spiritual answer not an answer obtained by surface logic.

Most religious people are good...

after all... "God is good and God is great"? Remember?

God is not good!

God is best... people are often talked out of the best for something good...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:29 pm
Questioner wrote:
RexRed wrote:

Nor do I. But again with so many so determined to eradicate religion, most particularly Christianity, from the face of the earth, and nobody has been able to do it even within one country, I have to figure our Captain has not abandoned ship no matter how damaged or how far off course she is blown. It is Christ's Church after all. Each new denomination is formed with the intent to 'get it right', yet none seem to quite make it. I have to suspect that God does not require uniformity. and perhaps each denomination enhances the gifts of the Spirit of those who are drawn to it.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 09:33 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Nor do I. But again with so many so determined to eradicate religion, most particularly Christianity, from the face of the earth, and nobody has been able to do it even within one country, I have to figure our Captain has not abandoned ship no matter how damaged or how far off course she is blown. It is Christ's Church after all. Each new denomination is formed with the intent to 'get it right', yet none seem to quite make it. I have to suspect that God does not require uniformity. and perhaps each denomination enhances the gifts of the Spirit of those who are drawn to it.

I'm not entirely certain that anyone is really attempting to eradicate religion. In fact, most of the major power-players throughout history had a rather intrinsical religious nature about them.

Also, many of the newer denominations are not about 'getting it right' as much as about 'catering to the masses'.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:05 pm
I am skilled in painting and arts and crafts myself...

Thus my name rex "red"... You could say I am a colorful guy... Smile

I know that it takes not only many kinds of brushes for instance, wedge brushes, liner brushes, fan brushes, glaze brushes. There are large brushes for painting surfaces fast and tiny brushes with only a single hair for painting minute detail.

It takes a very steady hand and a knowledge of many painting techniques. From pottery to canvas... There is color, textures, sculpture, architecture... A painter must not only have a large palette of colors to paint and blend but they must know the names of each and every color. They need to know how one color augments another. There are considerations as to how much heat the colors can withstand over it's lifetime and if the colors are fade resistant or even sometimes toxic.

In the end we see two "paintings", of God... not only one...

We see the image that humanity has "painted" God into... and we see the true image of God... We make a choice, somewhere in that instant and we are born of the world or born of the spirit.

Then God paints a picture inside of us...
0 Replies

englishmajor

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 10:46 pm
RexRed wrote:
englishmajor wrote:
Sorry to disappoint you, Rex. I am Canadian; therefore I have more than two parties to choose from. We actually have 4 in Canada. I am neither Dem or Rep, neither left or right.

Who has been filling my head with thoughts that the world does not like America!!??? Where have you been? That IS the world opinion. I see you do not read or watch anything out of the realm of CNN, etc. America has the right to 'go out and see who our friends are'? What an innocent, naive statement! That is not what America is doing. Have you heard of globalization? It's another word for imperialism, and that is what America is up to. I suggest you go to PNAC website (Project for a New American Century). You'll be surprised to see who the members are. Jeb is one... Please don't try and tell me America is out and about handing out candy to the world and making friends. They are, in fact, trying to push free trade down everyone's throat. Maybe you didn't know, but NAFTA does not work here in Canada (if you happened to hear on your US news, which I doubt - NAFTA has ruled in Canada's favour about the softwoods tariff illegally placed on our lumber, but the US will not honour that agreement) that is just another example of how America deals with other countries. I am glad we have a PM (Prime Minister) who sees through the BS that people like Cond. Rice (who worked for Chevron before she became George's little friend) spew out.

Did you know, Rex, that the Taliban were financed by the US? Look it up online, it's no secret for those who look for answers in places other than CNN, Fox, etc. The US is simply in Iraq for oil. Bush admitted that. Why aren't they in other places in the world where tyranny exists? Why aren't they helping the Palestinians? Why do they allow Israel to have WMD's, and kill Palestinians? Can you answer those questions? Oh, and don't worry about Pakistan. America has their little puppet in charge there; not likely he will use his WMD's....but you never know. The point is, the US used the Taliban until they did not need them any longer, then they became terrorists.
And you're right, this thread is not the correct one for such discussions. I'll be happy to talk with you on the "is george bush a christian' or 'why did america attack iraq'.
Please look up some sites on the net, or read or watch BBC ---something! and get back to me. I think you'll have a different opinion when you learn what PNAC plans. I know when I lived in the States I did not hear half of what I hear on our news here in Canada, which is more globally oriented.......

Like I said, less than half of what you are saying is actually based on solid facts. The US did not become the worlds only super power by being "unpopular"...

You are simply politically slanted and for an "english major" I think you could learn to have an original thought. You are just spouting out leftist propaganda talking points that have no real "truth". You have an agenda. You have been programed with your slander and you simply spout it off like some kind of mindless robot.

I don't have this issue that you have... I voted for Al Gore! not Bush. Then I voted for Bush.

I am a republican (moderate) but I ALSO believe in choice. I also do not think abortion should be used as a form of "contraception"... When it gets to mistake number six and seven then I think that people who have had that many abortions should be listed with pedophiles on the internet...

But I don't get this kind of attack the issues with logic approach from you. I feel it is more attack the issues with partisanship in your case.

I think you or at least your friends are even delusional.

You want to believe anything that pushes your hate agenda further.

Do you even have one original solution other than the generic hate Bush hate America rant?

I am not against free trade... I am for fair trade too.... I believe we should trade with people who are providing their people with hospitals and schools. Do you have a problem with that? Or should we only trade with dictators and people who strap bombs to babies?

I don't think you are quite a rational person Laughing because your response had no basis in fact. Have you checked out PNAC? You should, all of the folks you like & admire so much are in there: Rummy, Jeb Bush, Libby, Wolfowitz etc. They plan on global dominance and are making no bones about it. What part of that don't you get?

My solution would have been to not vote for Bush in the first place. That was an interesting election with the hanging chads, misplaced ballots, etc. wasn't it? It kept us Canucks amused anyway.
My condolences that you voted for him in the last election. Cool

You quoted no original source, nothing factual. You are apparently deluded that America is a superpower (which is on the wane, by the way. Did you know China holds 200 BILLION in debts for America? The largest debt EVER. That was on our newscast last night, but I'm sure you could do a google search and see for yourself. Please don't just rant. Look things up. Check out the sites I mentioned. Or are you afraid it might besmirch your naive idea of what America could have been?

I don't hate America. I would not waste my energy. Show me where I said that, please?

I feel sorry for people who are so deluded they think America is in Iraq for a good purpose. Maybe you should ask an Iraqi. Hundreds of thousands of Iraqis were killed in the name of democracy, something in short supply in America. Course, they just call that collateral damage. Sounds better than 'we just killed a lot of civilians today" doesn't it? Would Saddam have killed that many? How are the Americans any better? Why don't they go on home now and clean up their own mess in America? Maybe impeach Bush, something constructive.

America is a superpower in its own mind (see above: 200 billion owed to China). You are now beginning to pay for your hubris and trampling of smaller countries around the world to get what you want. What goes around, comes around.....

You are for fair trade? That would mean that you support NAFTA?? Good. Then you support their last ruling? Good again. That means that you support the US giving Canada back 5 million for illegally collected softwoods tariffs. Or had you even heard about that? I like fair trade when it's fair. Ignoring NAFTA rulings is the way America plays. Like the bully on the block.

Whatever are you babbling about here? " I believe we should trade with people who are providing their people with hospitals and schools. Do you have a problem with that? Or should we only trade with dictators and people who strap bombs to babies?[/quote] Question

You've gone and confused countries here....it's Canada that has national health coverage for everyone. The US does if you can afford it. We have schools, too! At any rate, I didn't make any comments about schools/hospitals. Do I have a problem with what?

Your president IS a dictator. He even admitted it would be easier if he was. I'm sure he was just fooling. I don't know where you're going on this rant, should we trade with dictators and people who strap bombs to babies, you ask? When did that happen? Didn't you read the above? Didn't you know that America was funding the Taliban in the 1980's in their fight against the Russians. Man, you guys in Maine need to read a bit more, don't ya! Very Happy
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:13 pm
Questioner wrote:
Good question:
RexRed wrote:
It is a spiritual answer not an answer obtained by surface logic.

Most religious people are good...

after all... "God is good and God is great"? Remember?

God is not good!

God is best... people are often talked out of the best for something good...
Foxfyre wrote:
. . . But again with so many so determined to eradicate religion, most particularly Christianity, from the face of the earth, and nobody has been able to do it even within one country, I have to figure our Captain has not abandoned ship no matter how damaged or how far off course she is blown. It is Christ's Church after all. Each new denomination is formed with the intent to 'get it right', yet none seem to quite make it. I have to suspect that God does not require uniformity. and perhaps each denomination enhances the gifts of the Spirit of those who are drawn to it.

Really!

Where does this fit in:

"Now I exhort YOU, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that YOU should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among YOU, but that YOU may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1Corinthians 1:10)
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:24 pm
Neologist writes
Quote:
Really!

Where does this fit in:

"Now I exhort YOU, brothers, through the name of our Lord Jesus Christ that YOU should all speak in agreement, and that there should not be divisions among YOU, but that YOU may be fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought." (1Corinthians 1:10)

This was from a letter from Paul to a specific Christian congregation in Corinth. Their church family was having a royal battle, and that particular letter (one of four) was to settle some disputes and order them to cease and desist. It was not intended to be instruction for the Church everywhere. For that matter Paul certainly did not expect his letters to become Scripture.

I would be dishonest if I didn't say that I think Paul would not be pleased with the wide diversity of denominations in the Church today, but even with all the different Congregations I think he would say what I say: "It is all one Church with Christ as its head, one communion, and one Spirit even though everybody doesn't 'do church' the same.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:34 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
For that matter Paul certainly did not expect his letters to become Scripture. . .
Scripture, nevertheless.

Bertrand Russell, in his work Why I Am Not A Christian remarked that with all the religions of the world and their competing ideas, only one of them can be right. - Sounds logical to me.

Jesus, in Luke 16:10 teaches "The person faithful in what is least is faithful also in much, and the person unrighteous in what is least is unrighteous also in much."

So how much room does that leave for diversity?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 8 Nov, 2005 11:49 pm
Jesus didn't cite any specifics now did he? I think Bertrand Russell is wrong that only one can be right. He looks at it from the perspective and arrogance of human intelligence. When you perceive it spiritually, you understand that God is not confined by human efforts or human expectations or human understandings. So there is very likely many different ways to be right.

C.S. Lewis probably did the best job of boiling it all down to the essentials in his little book "Mere Christianity". I recommend it to anybody who wants to understand Christianity when you strip away all the dogma and trappings and rituals and liturgy and look at it from its most basic components. And in those most basic components, almost all those who call themselves Christian agree.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:00 am
Englishmajor,

I really think these issues would be better put to use in the politics forum. This just isn't the right place for it.

And, one thing I just fail to understand is, you keep saying your (as in USA's) President, etc. Englishmajor, you are an American citizen. He is also your president.

And it's very easy to say that your solution would have been not to vote for him in the first place. Hindsight is always 20/20.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 9 Nov, 2005 12:01 am
Foxfyre wrote:
And in those most basic components, almost all those who call themselves Christian agree.
Name a few.
0 Replies