Creationism in a cheap tuxedo... Dubya's dance partner

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 03:53 am
Quote:
August 5, 2005 WASHINGTON - President George W. Bush invigorated proponents of teaching alternatives to evolution with remarks saying that schoolchildren should be taught about "intelligent design," a view of creation that promotes the idea that an unseen force is behind the development of humanity.

Although he said curriculum decisions should be made by local school districts, Bush told Texas newspaper reporters at the White House on Monday that intelligent design should be taught alongside evolution as competing theories.

"With the president endorsing it, at the very least it makes Americans who have that position more respectable," said Gary Bauer, a Christian conservative leader who ran for president in the 2000 Republican primaries. " ... It's a view held by the majority of Americans."

John West of the Discovery Institute, a Seattle-based think tank supporting intelligent design, issued a statement saying Bush "is to be commended for defending free speech on evolution, and supporting the right of students to hear about different scientific views."

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,437 • Replies: 56
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 04:01 am
Right...

http://a.abclocal.go.com/images/080205_bush_origins_debate.jpg

"I am a former alcoholic. I deserted the military during wartime. I did not win the popular vote for President in 2000. I shamelessly lied about the capability of Iraq to wage war and cheerfully sent thousands of US citizens to the death in the Middle East whilst slaughtering tens of thousands in the name of democracy. I never did a real day's work in my entire worthless life.

"However, God wants me to be President! So that must make me an expert on subjects such as biology, chemistry, molecular genetics, natural history, history, geology, plate tectonics, astronomy, physics, and any other so-called 'science'. Did I happen to mention that GOD WANTS ME TO BE PRESIDENT!!!"
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:04 am
you are asking for it. Somebody should take you outside and beat some sense into you. How dare you question Mr Bush's ultimate authority.

I hear that hes writing his memoirs.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:08 am
farmerman wrote:
you are asking for it. Somebody should take you outside and beat some sense into you. How dare you question Mr Bush's ultimate authority.

Yep, just signed a deal with Goldenbooks for the hardcover and Highlights For Children for the serioal installments.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:09 am
Thank you, Mr. Pondquility, you have made my day.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:19 am
Unconfirmed White House sources and close personal aides report that his memoirs will be titled "Progress Through Recidivism" and will be ghost written by a Hollywood screen writer named "Dim." A film deal is in the works with Tom Cruise slated to play Mr Bush.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:30 am
Alright, what really gets my goat, AND bakes my cookies is that if it were some democrat or liberal in office, and he lied and ran a brothel out of the capitol building there would be a countless number of people judging him per action and REDFUSING to judge him in the light of his history in office, OR as a person.

AND not only can we not judge our president PER ACTION but we have to question his religious status, thinking him weak because he at least believes in SOMETHING.. what if he were a muslum, would we question his quote 'devine purpose' as leader of our nation? I doubt it hightly, so long as he continued to pull it away from the standard by which it was created i doubt few would care if he held public lectures naked.

I for one am excited that for once i can rest a little easier knowing that when my kids go to school they dont have to be penalized and ridiculed for believing that a God created them and their world. Few can imagine what that is like, every day for the other children and the teachers to talk down to you like youre and idiot.

Christians made this country, we fought for it, we died for it, we opened the doors to anyone and everyone. I think its high time that anyone who wants to piss and moan about it should just get the hell out of dodge and start their own country, or try to find one that suits them. I mean, which day was it that we woke up in the minority?

We've all but taken any and all moral standards away from this nation, and we expect it to remain a great place?

This is how the thread that binds comes undone.

*sigh* Good morning forum.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:31 am
Twould be truly funny were it a work of fiction. As it is, I fear for my fellow humans more and more each year.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 06:59 am
BTP, in one breath said
Quote:
I for one am excited that for once i can rest a little easier knowing that when my kids go to school they dont have to be penalized and ridiculed for believing that a God created them and their world. Few can imagine what that is like, every day for the other children and the teachers to talk down to you like youre and idiot.

You havent won anything yet. I predict that a vigorous and highly entertaining debate on this very issue will follow over the remaining years of the Bush regime..
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:02 am
BTP again
Quote:
We've all but taken any and all moral standards away from this nation, and we expect it to remain a great place?

And by teaching Intelligent Design in Science will accomplish your above captioned goals how?

Intelligent Design is just a bit of fraudulent "cooking" of scientific thought to somehow"sneak" a Bible centered doctrine into science curricula. By accomplishing its goals WILL guarantee that this nation will become a member of the intellectual Third World.

The really great minds in the Intelligent Design camp, like Mike Behe, freely stipulate that all things developed by science , including evolution, are correct and hes a firm supporter of them. His arguments are surrounding 2 (and only 2) areas of Darwinian thought , one of which Darwin never produced any writings anyway.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:21 am
My assessment is that the moral standards in this nation have disintegrated because people claiming the moral high ground have continually not taken it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 07:21 am
And nothing we teach our kids in school is going to change that.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:02 am
I didnt realize it hadnt been passed yet. You would be right, it seems that there would have been a lot more in the news about it had it won.

I never said that teaching this in school would fix anything. But it would be a relief, in my book anyway. I dont believe that there is anything anyone can do to "fix"anything in this nation that is in need of repair.

But my opinion holds fast none the less. There are plenty of countries that dont believe in the same standards and principals as America did for so many years, so why cant the people who so heatedly despise those things go find another country. It happens all the time... people move to Cananda, Mexico, Europe....

*Shrug*
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:04 am
That's a truly disgusting attitude. You think christians own the country? So all the Jews can leave, too, huh? How about the Hindus, do they have to "get out of Dodge" as well?

That is just sick.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:20 am
I didnt say they had to leave.... we opened the doors to them. And iam not saying they have to convert. i am not saying anything like that. dont get me wrong. its the people who hate the things that america was created for that bothers me.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:22 am
BreatheThePoison wrote:
I didnt say they had to leave.... we opened the doors to them. And iam not saying they have to convert. i am not saying anything like that. dont get me wrong. its the people who hate the things that america was created for that bothers me.

I personally miss the lynchings slavery made popular....and, well, slavery for that matter.
<sigh>
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:23 am
farmerman wrote:

He keeps having to start over when the crayon goes outside the lines.
0 Replies

BreatheThePoison

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:24 am
i dunno where youre going with that.... lynchings? slavery?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:29 am
BreatheThePoison wrote:
Alright, what really gets my goat, AND bakes my cookies is that if it were some democrat or liberal in office, and he lied and ran a brothel out of the capitol building there would be a countless number of people judging him per action and REDFUSING to judge him in the light of his history in office, OR as a person.

mmmmmm, goatcookies!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 5 Aug, 2005 08:40 am
BreatheThePoison wrote:

AND not only can we not judge our president PER ACTION but we have to question his religious status, thinking him weak because he at least believes in SOMETHING.. what if he were a muslum, would we question his quote 'devine purpose' as leader of our nation? I doubt it hightly, so long as he continued to pull it away from the standard by which it was created i doubt few would care if he held public lectures naked.

Christians made this country, we fought for it, we died for it, we opened the doors to anyone and everyone. I think its high time that anyone who wants to piss and moan about it should just get the hell out of dodge and start their own country, or try to find one that suits them. I mean, which day was it that we woke up in the minority?

This is how the thread that binds comes undone.

*sigh* Good morning forum.[/quote

[color=red]Yes, the purposeful and methodical elimination and sacrifice of the Native Americans who were already living here no doubt made a savory aroma
to the Lord. Give me a f**cking break. That's how to found a Christian nation all right.
[/color] Rolling Eyes
0 Replies